Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: NYCC: Super Soldiers Clash in "Ultimate Comics Captain America"

In Jason Aaron and Ron Garney's "Ultimate Comics Captain America," the Ultimate U's Cap faces off against a product of a tumultuous period in American history, the Captain America of the Vietnam War.

Full article here.

Darn it, Marvel, now I'm going to have to buy an Ultimate title for the first time in years. Why must you put me in this position?

BANNED

It's soo amusing how Marvel Sales Employees come on to all these forums pretending to be ordinary people promoting whatever garbage Dan Buckley and Joe Quesada are espousing.

Marvel (and DC for the most part) have completely fallen off the rails. 99.9% of Marvel's and 95% of DC's books are so damn jejune it's not even funny.

They're really catering to the dumbest part of their audiences now. And it's a shame since they both own such great intellectual properties.

Thanks for that update, Janissa. Now, back to the topic at hand...

Looks great, can't wait!
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Janissa View Post
    It's soo amusing how Marvel Sales Employees come on to all these forums pretending to be ordinary people promoting whatever garbage Dan Buckley and Joe Quesada are espousing.
    Are you referring to my comment? Because I'm not a Marvel employee, just a Jason Aaron fan.

There is a sad level of truth to your statement. Quesada has really fallen off the deep end in a few areas, over the last two years. He's done a lot of good (RE: Marvel Man for example), but areas like this and ASM struggle due to his involvement.

Anyway - I was incredibly skeptical about this book - but having read the Aaron interview - I'm actually thinking I'll grab this is trade when it drops. The Ultimate Universe hasn't been the same' since' Ultimates 3, and most of Ultimate Comics has been subpar. But I do think that Aaron has the chops to pull this off - so a trade-waiting I will go.

Marvel (and DC for the most part) have completely fallen off the rails. 99.9% of Marvel's and 95% of DC's books are so damn jejune it's not even funny.

They're really catering to the dumbest part of their audiences now. And it's a shame since they both own such great intellectual properties.

This could link up with The Liberators and how they scored their SS serum
    So...whose neck do I break first?

Default American govt=bad

Thanks, haven't heard that about 50,000 that. Oh, and Viet Nam War was bad. Nice original idea there.

If you want to see Cap in WW2 and the modern War on Terror, acting like a soldier AND a hero, check out the Captain America: America First and Captain America: Theater of War tpbs. Jenkins disproves the myth that you can't have Cap in modern war tales without insulting the troops or denying the seriousness of the conflict.
    Last edited by Meyeraustin; 10-11-2010 at 11:48 AM.

I must be dumb because I don't know what "jejune" means.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyeraustin View Post
    I must be dumb because I don't know what "jejune" means.
    Naive, simplistic, superficial according to google definitions.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

I wonder who the Nam Cap is. That can't be Castle, nor Thompson. I doubt it's Deadpool. Maybe Nuke? Or this is simply the 50s Cap?

Well this wasn't nearly as big an announcement as I thought it would be. A Captain America book doesn't sound like something that would rock the Ultimate Universe. This seems more like a story in the tradition of the recent Thor mini and that's not a bad thing. Thor #1 was awesome. But let's face it, these stories that take place in the past really aren't going to do a whole lot for the Ultimate series at large. Again, that's not a bad thing. It's just limited because in terms of scale it's never going to be as big as the mainline titles.

But since Thor was so great, I'm willing to give this a try. These minis seem to be the only readable stories from Ultimate at this point. There was little else at NYCC that makes me hate the current Ultimate titles any less. I still have a strong inclination to inject molten lead in my veins and head-butt a bowling ball every time I think about the other Ultimate books. But so long as Ultimate Cap doesn't really tie into what's going on at the moment, I'll try it.

The big mystery here is who could this Vietnam era Cap be? I don't know why, but I have a feeling it may either be someone from the Buckey Barnes family, the Frank Castle family (perhaps Ultimate Frank's dad), or the Summers family (an Ultimate Corsair). Aaron did say that the identity of this Cap would be a familiar name that hasn't seen Ultimate yet. So I guess we should let the speculation begin.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

hope they do it right!

Living Legend Of Radio Moose967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leocomix View Post
    I wonder who the Nam Cap is. That can't be Castle, nor Thompson. I doubt it's Deadpool. Maybe Nuke? Or this is simply the 50s Cap?
    The big mystery here is who could this Vietnam era Cap be? I don't know why, but I have a feeling it may either be someone from the Buckey Barnes family, the Frank Castle family (perhaps Ultimate Frank's dad), or the Summers family (an Ultimate Corsair). Aaron did say that the identity of this Cap would be a familiar name that hasn't seen Ultimate yet. So I guess we should let the speculation begin.
    Given the era of Vietnam I'd say either Mike or John Walker. Ultimate USAgent.
    What Did I Buy This Week? Captain America#5 & #6

Follow me on Twitter: @MooseMichaels

This mini sounds great cant wait till it starts. I hope the right research was done for the mini.