Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: NYCC: Beechen Takes Batman "Beyond"

With the continuing adventures of future Dark Knight Terry McGinnis officially on the slate for January, the writer behind the hit mini, Adam Beechen, explained his plans for expanding the world of "Batman Beyond."

Full article here.

My idea is to continue tying existing Batman continuity to what we're doing with "Batman Beyond" as much as we're able to do. I want to throw nuggets in that longtime Batman comic book readers will be familiar with while still respecting the future that's been created by the "Batman Beyond" animated series.
    As long as they're just nuggets. I think the mini has relied too much on bringing in elements from the DCU -- did Batman Beyond really need Hush? I also find that it spent too much time with old and legacy characters, between Dick and Catwoman. That was something the cartoon did sparingly, and it had a much stronger impact when it did as a result.

One thing we haven't touched on as much as I would've liked in the six issues is a lot of the supporting cast of "Batman Beyond." We haven't seen a lot of [Terry's] family and friends, and that's something I want to rectify early.
    That's what I want to hear. Batman Beyond is its own thing and can stand on its own; it did just fine without Dick and it's stronger when it works with its own cast.

The first storyline we're doing in the ongoing features pretty prominently Terry's mother and brother.
    Art/coloring nitpick: Terry's mom had black hair when we saw her in the mini. I mean, obviously people can dye their hair, but the fact that Terry and his brother have black hair when neither of their parents did was actually (in hindsight) a fairly significant clue that Bruce was their biological father.

Anyhow. I probably sound like a grumpy, overly-critical fanboy, but that's not my intent. I've been buying the mini, and liking a lot of it; I just think it's got some weaknesses and I'm hoping Beechen takes them to heart when he does the ongoing. He's clearly a fan and I think he's got some good ideas and a whole lot of potential.

Are we finally going to get more of Max and Dana?

And while I dig the new Catwoman, I don't think she was needed. Terry had his own Catwoman in the series (at least in regards to the whole hero/villainess romance aspect).

My idea is to continue tying existing Batman continuity to what we're doing with "Batman Beyond" as much as we're able to do. I want to throw nuggets in that longtime Batman comic book readers will be familiar with while still respecting the future that's been created by the "Batman Beyond" animated series.
    This is my biggest problem with his writing for the series. I'm not interested at all in seeing it tie in to the current continuity, I was reading it to see what they started in the cartoon to continued. Its nice that he wants to broaden the supporting cast's roles, but his whole talk of that while to trying to tie in the current continuity conflict too much.
    Last edited by Eivion; 10-07-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Some great points by other posters here that I wanted to agree with. I never made that hair connection of Terry's family which is pretty awesome when you consider what an early nod that is from the start of the boy's heritage. Also I'm not crazy about the new Catwoman either. Terry and 10 were so much more compelling as a couple to me, more so than him and Dana. If the series continued I was hoping 10 would eventually win him over, her being a redemption tale Terry could understand and identify with. I realize that'll never happen given it was originally a kids show and cause it seems to be okay for the protagonist to be damaged goods but not so much for the one true love role. Anyways I sure hope 10 shows up again soon.