Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29,012

    Default CBR: Davis Visits "Superman: Earth One"

    In a story featuring more Clark than cape, DC Comics exclusive artist Shane Davis revealed what's in with the Man of Steel in his and writer JMS' new OGN, "Superman: Earth One," and why Lex Luthor is out.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,879

    Default

    Sounds good to me.

  3. #3
    Elder Member Karl O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Posts
    17,263

    Default

    Looking forward to reading this OGN.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

  4. #4
    Holy Nightmare! -BMC-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Sounds cool. I'm WAY more interested in Batman: Earth One though.
    Chill.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hamdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    From the interview:
    Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Focusing more on the character's moral issue of responsibility that his yellow-sun-fueled abilities, Davis revealed a few of JMS' ideas in writing this series, including questions of, "What would you do with these powers? What would you do to make a living?" As a young man, in pursuit of finding his way in the world and aware of his superior strength, speed, and resiliency, Davis revealed that in the first installment of the script, JMS challenged the character by having him try out for professional sports. "That shocked me," Davis exclaimed. "You never think of Clark Kent doing that. That set up the idea that maybe Clark wasn't the fumbling nerd we see him as.
    So JMS is basically giving us Spider-Man and Smallville Superman. Clark Played football for a bit in Smallville and Spidey not only tried out for professional wrestling he also struggled with how best to use his powers and how to make his living. All of the other stuff in this quote sounds like everything Spider-Man went through originally.

    I'm not saying it will be bad but it doesn't sound like anything new. The art sure is pretty though. Hmmm, on second thought anyone who hasn't checked it out yet, you might want to try a few issues of Invincible!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Trey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,780

    Default

    This sounds boring as all hell.

    I'll wait for previews and reviews
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

  7. #7
    Just Sayin'
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Middle of Hell, OH
    Posts
    8,636

    Default

    I read this already, DC sent some early previews out to Comic shop owners. Its okay in parts but its pretty boring. Artwork is great though. I would've thought since they updated the story for today, they would've updated Supe's costume, but no luck.

  8. #8
    Mario Di Giacomo mdg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamdinger View Post
    From the interview:

    So JMS is basically giving us Spider-Man and Smallville Superman. Clark Played football for a bit in Smallville and Spidey not only tried out for professional wrestling he also struggled with how best to use his powers and how to make his living. All of the other stuff in this quote sounds like everything Spider-Man went through originally.

    I'm not saying it will be bad but it doesn't sound like anything new. The art sure is pretty though. Hmmm, on second thought anyone who hasn't checked it out yet, you might want to try a few issues of Invincible!
    For that matter, Clark played football in Superman: Man Of Steel, 24 years ago.
    Mario Di Giacomo

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post
    For that matter, Clark played football in Superman: Man Of Steel, 24 years ago.
    Yeah, but he didn't have powers when he did. Here, he's going to use his powers to play football, probably to realize that's not the best place to use his talent. Smallville did the same thing in their early seasons.

  10. #10
    Mario Di Giacomo mdg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Saxon View Post
    Yeah, but he didn't have powers when he did. Here, he's going to use his powers to play football, probably to realize that's not the best place to use his talent. Smallville did the same thing in their early seasons.
    He did.

    http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comi...review-cl-mos1
    Mario Di Giacomo

  11. #11
    trevordraws.com Tar22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,726

    Arrow

    I'm not that excited about this, sadly. It's a cool idea, but nothing's really hooked me in.

    The art seems off to me. That's such an odd choice for a full page spread-- the building that Clark is actually looking at is completely out of the frame, so we're just getting the back of Clark's head and a bunch of fairly small buildings in the background. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking at, and I'm not quite sure why it merited a full page.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Whoops. My memory is really bad on Man of Steel. Thanks for clarifying.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Hamdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    I did like the Easter Egg on the street sign"Swan ST." I thought that was cool.

  14. #14
    Mario Di Giacomo mdg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Saxon View Post
    Whoops. My memory is really bad on Man of Steel. Thanks for clarifying.
    No problem. I've made worse errors. :)
    Mario Di Giacomo

  15. #15

    Default

    Move along, nothing to see here.

    Between Smallville and Superman: Secret Origins we've seen this before. There was also an Elseworlds that was very much like this (and rather brilliant) and I am kicking myself because I can't remember it. It was set as if it was our universe and Clark was only called Clark because his second name was Kent but it turns out he has powers etc. etc.

    If it'd been a home made character JMS could play with some more then it could have been an interesting study on what makes a character like Superman work while at the same time making it fresh and interesting.

    Arts nice *shrugs*

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •