Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: When Words Collide - Oct 4, 2010

This week, Tim reflects briefly on the Adam West "Batman" television show before going in-depth on the topic in a conversation with Jim Beard, editor of the upcoming anthology, "Gotham City 14 Miles."

Full article here.

Great write-up, old chum!

I hope the great work done by the Batman: The Brave And The Bold cartoon (which is influenced, sometimes directly, by the original show) gets mentioned somewhere. They have brought back the idea that Batman doesn't have to be 100% grim to the public, which in turn might help the book sell.

As a Puerto Rican, I'd like to mention that the show was loved beyond America and other English-Speaking countries; I certainly remember fondly my afternoons of watching Batman when coming home from school. Oh and the voice work done in the Spanish version is great and worth a look all in itself (especially in those cases where an American joke or reference would not work for this audience and had to be substituted) Maybe a topic for the sequel?

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Can't wait for this book the column is right in how influential the series was even in syndication for communicating both the fun and the creativity of comic books.

It was so frustrating hearing the anti-TV comments from Burton et al. in 1989 because the series (especially the theme song) hit that right note in our collective consciousness to stay there as a beloved symbol of our childhoods and Americana. (Wonder Woman's theme may not be so strong, but she too - with that spin into costume - became an iconic symbol as well.)

Glad to see someone's willing to stand up for that series and talk about how cool it is. Now if we can only get it on DVD!!!!

Cool

seriously,

I am in my late 30s and Batman & Robin in my childhood were either Adam West & Burt Ward or Olan Solue & Casey Casem.
    That is until Frank Miller.

great read. I love the highway sign "GOTHAM CITY, 14 MILES"...

crea shakti,

"He who knows best knows how little he knows" -Thomas Jefferson

Sorry its taken me so long to thank you all for the good words. Hope you will consider ordering a copy of the book and if you do, that you'll enjoy it.

Jim!
    "What th'?" The Beard - Reviews, Art, Comments, Whining - http://www.jimbeard.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sijo View Post
    I hope the great work done by the Batman: The Brave And The Bold cartoon (which is influenced, sometimes directly, by the original show) gets mentioned somewhere. They have brought back the idea that Batman doesn't have to be 100% grim to the public, which in turn might help the book sell.
    Yup, it's mentioned in the chapter I wrote, concerning the Visual Design of the show, and how it still lingers.
    The Hero Business by Bill Walko
    Because with great power comes great marketability.

GOTHAM CITY 14 MILES is now available at:

Gotham City 14 Miles

Please also join us on facebook at:

http://www.facebook.com/gothamcity14miles

Thanks!

Jim!
    Last edited by Jim Beard; 01-30-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    "What th'?" The Beard - Reviews, Art, Comments, Whining - http://www.jimbeard.blogspot.com