View Poll Results: Favourite Avengers Writer

Voters
167. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Stan Lee

1 0.60%
  • Roy Thomas

12 7.19%
  • Steve Englehart

10 5.99%
  • Gerry Conway

0 0%
  • Jim Shooter

11 6.59%
  • Roger Stern

37 22.16%
  • John Byrne

3 1.80%
  • Bob Harras

2 1.20%
  • Heroes Reborn Mess

1 0.60%
  • Kurt Busiek

52 31.14%
  • Geoff Johns

1 0.60%
  • Chuck Austen

0 0%
  • Brian Bendis

29 17.37%
  • Dan Slott

7 4.19%
  • Ed Brubaker

1 0.60%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Though I'm not sure they were aware of this at the time it was written, they honestly didn't need much of an end game since Heroes Reborn would essentially wipe all of that away anyways.
    Heroes Reborn came about a year and a half after they began The Crossing (which was responsible for a significant decrease in sales. Most titles had been doing fine before the Crossing, and Harras, Kaminski leaving their titles). I might be wrong, but I don't think they planned anything with Heroes Reborn as their reboot button. Although a big fan of the period (and actually having fondness for the Crossing), I honestly beleive it was poor planning.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Not all old time fans are upset because of the changes made or the new direction. I'm an old time fan and i've experienced plenty of changes in Avengers over the years. I'm used to it. Hell, you have to be if you're going to be a comic book fan.

I don't like Bendis' work because I find it badly written, terribly paced, poorly researched and generally devoid of most of the elements that I consider good storytelling. I expect better from the writer of USM, DD, Powers and Jinx.
    That's what people don't understand. A lof ot traditionalist didn't mind changes(just look at what Byrne during WCA), it's just that what they received was completly awful. Before Bendis' Avengers' run, Alias was my favorite book in the whole comic industry!

Favorite Avengers Writers:
    1. Steve Englehart
    2. Jim Shooter
    3. Roy Thomas
    4. Roger Stern
    5. John Byrne
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I have heard he is a great writer, but I have yet to see any proof of it myself. I have to go based on what I have read.

Joe Casey on the other hand has proved that he loves the Avengers and I think he could do a great job. I'd love to see him on the book.
    Yea Casey all the way(although hopefully it would be better than Last Defenders lol)
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Heroes Reborn came about a year and a half after they began The Crossing (which was responsible for a significant decrease in sales. Most titles had been doing fine before the Crossing, and Harras, Kaminski leaving their titles). I might be wrong, but I don't think they planned anything with Heroes Reborn as their reboot button. Although a big fan of the period (and actually having fondness for the Crossing), I honestly beleive it was poor planning.

Peace
    Definitely agree. Heroes Reborn reeked of knee-jerk reaction, and wasn't the planned resolution the the thread left dangling after "The Crossing"...

So, anyone else have any opinion?

Englehart tops the list, for me. I don't get the hate for Bendis (although, since Hickman started, I understand what it's like to hate how characters you love are being written), and Bendis is probably second on my list.
    Bobbi Morse: has been on three Avengers teams, worked for SHIELD, evaded the Skrulls for years, received the super soldier serum and Infinity Formula. Still not even a limited series.

Few days on drugs? Lovely pepper's Avatar

I'm tempted to vote Chuck Austen. Trololololo

I've recently been reading Marvel Comics - The Untold Stories, and have a whole new understanding for guys like Englehart, Starlin and other who wrote while under the influence of acid, weed, LSD, etc... (At least during the seventies. haven't reached the eighties yet, to see if they continued with those practices). What a trip.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I've recently been reading Marvel Comics - The Untold Stories, and have a whole new understanding for guys like Englehart, Starlin and other who wrote while under the influence of acid, weed, LSD, etc... (At least during the seventies. haven't reached the eighties yet, to see if they continued with those practices). What a trip.

Peace
    That book made it seem like very few people get into comics because they love comics... or at least once they are in,they start hating them.

The Top 5 i think are#

1-Roy Thomas.

2-Roger Stern.

3-Kurt Busiek.

4-John Byrne.

5-Stan Lee.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Busiek takes the top spot for me. Avengers Forever, Kang Dynasty, Ultron Unlimited, and the Morgan Conquest are all in my top 10 Avengers stories and the first three are in my top 5.

Stern and Thomas after that. Under Siege and Kree/Skrull War are wonderful stories.

Johns wrote one of my top 10 Avengers stories with Red Zone, but I never read anything else of his run.

Bendis' story was pretty good at the beginning with New Avengers but slowly declined.

I still haven't read Celestial Madonna or Korvac Saga, so I can't really comment on Englehart and Shooter.
    But let justice run down like water, And righteousness like a mighty stream.

I voted Bendis but I'm not sure if he makes my top 5 if I really go back and consider each run. Bendis doesn't get enough credit because those that hate have a fervent hatred for him and it kind of outweighs all of the good he has done.

The Avengers kind of floundered starting in the late 80's up until Busiek took over. There were some good stretches of storylines in that period but The Avengers was not a top selling comic. It always frustrated me because it's been my favorite comic since day one and I wanted other people to enjoy what I loved. But all it was back then was X-Men this and X-Men that.

Busiek's run was great and could be argued as the best run. When Busiek and Perez left the title, The Avengers could have easily folded back into a dull title as I don't remember Johns stuff being all that good.

Enter Bendis. Like him or hate him, and you can argue quality or lack of, his ten year stretch kept The Avengers as a top selling title and essentially knocked The X-Men from the perch they had rested upon since the 70's and The X-Men was horribly stagnant.

I'm not sure that we have the greatest comic book movie ever made in The Avengers if not for Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottmeister X View Post
    I voted Bendis but I'm not sure if he makes my top 5 if I really go back and consider each run. Bendis doesn't get enough credit because those that hate have a fervent hatred for him and it kind of outweighs all of the good he has done.

The Avengers kind of floundered starting in the late 80's up until Busiek took over. There were some good stretches of storylines in that period but The Avengers was not a top selling comic. It always frustrated me because it's been my favorite comic since day one and I wanted other people to enjoy what I loved. But all it was back then was X-Men this and X-Men that.

Busiek's run was great and could be argued as the best run. When Busiek and Perez left the title, The Avengers could have easily folded back into a dull title as I don't remember Johns stuff being all that good.

Enter Bendis. Like him or hate him, and you can argue quality or lack of, his ten year stretch kept The Avengers as a top selling title and essentially knocked The X-Men from the perch they had rested upon since the 70's and The X-Men was horribly stagnant.

I'm not sure that we have the greatest comic book movie ever made in The Avengers if not for Bendis.
    Except it has ties much closer to the Ultimates than the Avengers. And having Bendis make the Avengers the top franchise had nothing to do with Marvel making it the epicenter for the Marvel Universe? Letting the X-Men languish in terribleness for much of that time.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    That book made it seem like very few people get into comics because they love comics... or at least once they are in,they start hating them.
    Yes, while I'm enjoying it immensely, oftimes it can be a bit of a depressing read. It's sad to see that so many stories that brought me so much joy and wonder were often concieved amongst so much friction, so many battles of egos. More out of spite and anger than out of joy.

Peace

What issues did Busiek's run go through? I've never read any of his work, but I've only heard good things about it, so I'm kind of interested in picking a few issues up to see if I like it.