Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Captain Marvel: dream creative team

I've always thought that a creative team of Grant Morrison and
    Ed Mcguinness would be the ideal creative team for series staring this character. Mcguinness's would capture the larger then life aspect of the character and Morrison's tendancy towards big crazy ideas would work quite well with the Marvel family.

what do you guess think?

BANNED

Is Cameron Stewart a reasonable subsitute for you?

I'm mixed on Ed McGuinness's art. Don't dislike him though.

Morrison is my pick for this as well. While not my favorite writer, I can't help but think he'd be perfect on the title.

As for the artist, I definitely don't want McGuinness on it - just can't stand the man's art. But it's got to be someone who can bring the whimsy. I say Frank Quitely, Pete Poplaski, or hell, just keep Mike Norton on it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hangmanjury View Post
    Morrison is my pick for this as well. While not my favorite writer, I can't help but think he'd be perfect on the title.

As for the artist, I definitely don't want McGuinness on it - just can't stand the man's art. But it's got to be someone who can bring the whimsy. I say Frank Quitely, Pete Poplaski, or hell, just keep Mike Norton on it.
    Cameron Stewart is doing the art for the Captain Marvel issue of Multiversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Saxon View Post
    Cameron Stewart is doing the art for the Captain Marvel issue of Multiversity.
    Have there been previews? I like Stewart fine, but not everyone "gets" Cap.

Either that, or I just really love C.C. Beck.

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

My ideal Captain Marvel project would use an array of creative teams. You want the clean-lined bombast of Cap himself, a more smooth, illustrative style for Mary's adventures, and a detailed, dynamic style for Junior's stories.

Personally, I think Mike Norton did a great job , but the strength of a rotating creative team is that it allows creators who wouldn't work on an ongoing monthly series to create 'dream projects'.
    I mean, there's no way Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez are ever going to do a monthly ongoing series for DC, but wouldn't it be nice to see them do a Mary Marvel story?
    Similarly, you could get Darwyn Cooke, Cliff Chiang, or Bruce Timm doing a Captain Marvel story... hell, why have ONE Dream Team, when you can have all of them?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hangmanjury View Post
    Have there been previews? I like Stewart fine, but not everyone "gets" Cap.

Either that, or I just really love C.C. Beck.
    No previews yet, that I've seen at least. This won't even be out until summer. I think Stewart is a good choice though. His art is close to Quitely's, and if anything it's less bulgy, which is a good fit for Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    My ideal Captain Marvel project would use an array of creative teams. You want the clean-lined bombast of Cap himself, a more smooth, illustrative style for Mary's adventures, and a detailed, dynamic style for Junior's stories.

Personally, I think Mike Norton did a great job , but the strength of a rotating creative team is that it allows creators who wouldn't work on an ongoing monthly series to create 'dream projects'.
    I mean, there's no way Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez are ever going to do a monthly ongoing series for DC, but wouldn't it be nice to see them do a Mary Marvel story?
    Similarly, you could get Darwyn Cooke, Cliff Chiang, or Bruce Timm doing a Captain Marvel story... hell, why have ONE Dream Team, when you can have all of them?
    How about using different artists for ONE story, like they did back then? (Or one artist with multiple styles)

I've mentioned this here, but the original Mary Marvel story definitely had a mixture of styles, either with Swayze on Mary, Raboy on Junior, and Beck on Cap; or Swayze just copying their styles for their respective characters. Actually, I'd love to see that today!

And I want to say: Ty Templeton. That is all.

Morrison yes... now throw Chris Sprouse in the mix and we got a deal!

My old dream team would have been Mark Waid and the late Mike Wieringo (in fact I think Grant Morrison has said that Waid was scheduled to do a post Infinite Crisis Marvel Family book but they went in another direction).

Right now I think it would be Gail Simone (I don't think there's another DC writer right now who has proclaimed her love of the Marvels or desire to write them so much) and Jesus Saiz (love the work he's done on Brave and the Bold).

If not them I think Paul Cornell (who has a flair for the dramatic and the ridiculous, both of which I think a proper Shazam title needs) and Shane Davis (who said he'd love to do the Marvel Family at SDCC). Too bad the only real Shazam work I can find from Davis alone is this "Black Mary" cover from the Countdown http://www.comiconart.com/images/Sha...ountdown36.jpg although even there Mary looks better than how anyone drew her within the title itself (where the art was usually dreadful).
    "Heroes are forever. The rest of us are just part of the story" - Lady Shiva in Batgirl # 72 by Anderson Gabrych

Grant Morrison/Jeff Smith
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Morrisonites think he's perfect for everything. Bah humbug.

Bring me Paul Tobin and Daniel Acuña.
    Last edited by Ex_; 09-30-2010 at 05:58 AM.
    READ SNARKED!

Gail Simone.

I don't know why, but I can imagine Nicola doing good with it.

Or Cameron Stewart lol.
    "All I know is tomorrow will come, and I'm going to be there to rise above and meet it." - Donna Troy

The last time I thought about this I came up with something similar to Pol.

For Cap, let's have Morrison and Quitely. Stewart could be nice, too. For Junior, let's just hand it over to Paul Pope. And for Mary? The Immonens seem perfect to me.
    Things My Students Say

Here Comes a Regular (the life of a boozer) UPDATED 8/18/11: 9C, depression, bluegrass, Charlie Day

Oooh! And then when you have them all together, JH Williams, who's shown great aptitude at mixing other peoples' styles!
    Things My Students Say

Here Comes a Regular (the life of a boozer) UPDATED 8/18/11: 9C, depression, bluegrass, Charlie Day