Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Thanks!

I did a little more research and found 5 trades collecting Jenkins/Buckingham/Ramos' issues -

A Day In The Life
    Revenge of the Green Goblin
    One Small Break
    Return of the Green Goblin
    Trials & Tribulations

No luck with A Death In The Family; is that the title of the trade itself or of a story within it?

These were clearly released before Marvel's current policy of reprinting every single issue in order, as they're kind of spotty, and miss chunks of issues in between. Regardless, I'll check them out!
    "Return of the Green Goblin" collects "A Death in the Family." I guess they decided that the trade might sell better if the villain's name was on the cover.

Jenkins was working on a satellite title, often unable to introduce any new elements to the series, so issue to issue subplots aren't really that important. He still did great work within those limitations.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

*Witty User Title Here* linkspirit97's Avatar

So, what classic Spidey stories are there?

Kraven's Last Hunt has been hyped a lot, any others?

Hey, i've never read a spidey comic (Solo) should I jump on with suprierior? And does it doubleship? Thanks
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Spectacular Spider-Fan ScarletSpiderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Hey, i've never read a spidey comic (Solo) should I jump on with suprierior? And does it doubleship? Thanks
    Slott says jump on with #698, and yes I believe it does.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletSpiderFan View Post
    Slott says jump on with #698, and yes I believe it does.
    Hmm, that may be a problem.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    It would be a good place to start for whatever Marvel has planned with this. Since it's not Peter, at least at the start, it may not be anything like
    it has been. Truthfully, I'm nervous about Marvel trying to "shock the world" and ruining a good thing. I hope it's great but will have to wait and see.
    Do you have access to back issues? If so, just start from Brand New Day. Don't worry about what anybody says about it. From that point to 700, you will
    know whether you like Spidey or not.

My only experience with Spidey comics so far is with the Essential ASM. I really want to start reading current Spider-Man, so would it make sense to start with Big Time? Or would it make more sense to start at a later/earlier point than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    My only experience with Spidey comics so far is with the Essential ASM. I really want to start reading current Spider-Man, so would it make sense to start with Big Time? Or would it make more sense to start at a later/earlier point than that?
    Just start with Brand New Day. Big Time is really fun reading but you miss alot of the set up leading into it. For my money, BND leading up to now is really easy to pick up. Some of the stories are better than others but Dan Slott's New Ways to Die and Mark Waid's stories in there are fantastic. Not only that, but there's lots of set up like what happens with J Jonah Jameson and really, lots of the BND supporting cast are new.

Naysayers can say whatever shit they want. The whole Mephisto thing before BND sucked balls and OMIT was God awful backpedaling but there's alot of really good Spider-Man stories in there that totally overlook all of the nonsense. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Just start with Brand New Day. Big Time is really fun reading but you miss alot of the set up leading into it. For my money, BND leading up to now is really easy to pick up. Some of the stories are better than others but Dan Slott's New Ways to Die and Mark Waid's stories in there are fantastic. Not only that, but there's lots of set up like what happens with J Jonah Jameson and really, lots of the BND supporting cast are new.

Naysayers can say whatever shit they want. The whole Mephisto thing before BND sucked balls and OMIT was God awful backpedaling but there's alot of really good Spider-Man stories in there that totally overlook all of the nonsense. Check it out.
    I would say this is about right. The whole BND run until now would be the best lead up (especially 600 and up, since apparently 700's been building since then), but the eco buy would be Big Time (648-current).

*Witty User Title Here* linkspirit97's Avatar

I'm tempted to read all 700 issues somehow.

What would you lot recommend?

To be honest, I was always a bit wary about BND, but that was mainly because I read so much negative feedback about it. Since I wasn't consistently following Spidey that much throughout the yrs, I'm sure I won't be bothered by the changes. I'm going to give it a chance, while also jumping into Big Time and going from there to where things are currently. I need to start reading things in order, lol. Thanks for the help, guys!
    Last edited by Turlast; 11-05-2012 at 06:15 PM.

I'm more of a DC reader, but I'd like to read some Spider-Man stories. I've seen Spider-man's movies, but know only the basics of his comics history. I'd really like to read the issues involved in 'The Gauntlet' and 'Grim Hunt'; would "Brand New Day" be a good jumping-on point for that? And if not that, then what?

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanBrony View Post
    I'm more of a DC reader, but I'd like to read some Spider-Man stories. I've seen Spider-man's movies, but know only the basics of his comics history. I'd really like to read the issues involved in 'The Gauntlet' and 'Grim Hunt'; would "Brand New Day" be a good jumping-on point for that? And if not that, then what?
    Brand New Day is as good a place to start as any. The storylines you mentioned are pretty intense. "Grim" is actually a perfect description. The whole run isn't necessarily the same tone, which is good, because Spidey is best when he is more carefree. You should be able to catch on pretty quick. Marvel treated it almost like a new beginning for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanBrony View Post
    You could *probably* just start with the Gauntlet, but BND would be a better starting point. Most of the Gauntlet TPBs have back-up stories featuring the origins of the villains involved, so it should catch you up. A lot of BND would be irrelevant to Gauntlet/Grim Hunt itself, but there'd be some good info on exactly what's happening in Spidey's life.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletSpiderFan View Post
    You could *probably* just start with the Gauntlet, but BND would be a better starting point. Most of the Gauntlet TPBs have back-up stories featuring the origins of the villains involved, so it should catch you up. A lot of BND would be irrelevant to Gauntlet/Grim Hunt itself, but there'd be some good info on exactly what's happening in Spidey's life.
    Oh, okay, because I know next to nothing about Spider-Man's villains; just what was in the movies, really.