Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Irvine Readies Iron Man for "The Rapture"

In "Iron Man: The Rapture," Tony Stark's good intentions come back to haunt him in the form of a violent artificial intelligence. We spoke with writer Alexander Irvine about the series, which kicks off in November.

Full article here.

I'm very excited about this but I just discovered that this is the guy who wrote that Hellstorm story... Anyway, hope this is as great as I believe.
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Member Schmember

Didn't we already have a Stark 2.0 miniseries? A copy of his conscious was transferred in to his armor or something like that? I vaguely remember this from either earlier this year or last year....

† LINSUS X ZAYNT MALIK † Chase_Stein's Avatar

It looks interesting. I hope this would turn out be an above average mini.
    Last edited by Chase_Stein; 09-21-2010 at 07:21 AM.
    "It doesn’t matter [if] you’re...Asian..., you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try." - Obama

I feel like I've read this story twice already.
    READ SNARKED!

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I'm a hellstorm fan and never got to read his story, but I read his daredevil noir and thought it was amazing. I can't wait to get this mini. The story sounds intresting and medina's art is beautiful.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by DarienA View Post
    Didn't we already have a Stark 2.0 miniseries? A copy of his conscious was transferred in to his armor or something like that? I vaguely remember this from either earlier this year or last year....
    Adam Warren's IRON MAN:HYPERVELOCITY. At least that time, it didn't automatically become evil...

Then there was the sentient armor saga (that was Ultron, IIRC) and at least one of his AI's (VIRGIL, I believe) went rogue.

But that doesn't mean the writing will be bad. But it's an uphill battle.
    Mario Di Giacomo

Member Schmember

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post
    Adam Warren's IRON MAN:HYPERVELOCITY. At least that time, it didn't automatically become evil...

Then there was the sentient armor saga (that was Ultron, IIRC) and at least one of his AI's (VIRGIL, I believe) went rogue.

But that doesn't mean the writing will be bad. But it's an uphill battle.
    Yup HyperVelocity thanks...

Let's not forget the craptacular Man in the Iron Mask.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

That panel with Rhodey (I'm assuming it's Rhodey) looking over Tony's shoulder is kiiiinda creepy.
    Current Pulls:
    Iron Man, Batman, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Daredevil, East of West, Iron Patriot, Mass Effect: Foundation, Moon Knight, New Avengers

Hmmm, first he makes out with Captain America in that Avengers Red Skull story, now this. The evidence is reeeally piling up.

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post

There was also VORTEX (circa Iron Man #300 or so), the villainous AI who stranded Stark's consciousness in cyberspace when it uploaded itself into his body.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. - Robert Heinlen

i'm too , very exicted for this iron man /cyberpunk story...
    Excuse me for my bad english , i've self learning it (i'm Italian)

MARVEL : Captain Marvel , Iron Man , New Avengers , Scarlet spider

Now this is art I can get behind!!! Unlike that borderline junk appearing in the Avengers right now. Sorry...I know JrJr has a loyal following, but it just doesn't fly with me. Am I too discriminating? For the price they charge for comic books these days you damn well betcha I am!
    Some people are like slinkies...they are really good for nothing...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The art looks amazing.

My only problem is: I'm sort of tired of stories about AIs based on Stark's persona and things going awry with his tech. There was the Sentient Armor, Tony 2.0 from Hypervelocity, the armors controlled by Tony's subconciousness in Execute Program... It's getting a bit tiring.

And when I saw that Irvine's responsible for the script... Well, for a secong it gave me hope that a different AI will get the spotlight. I utterly adore Jarvis the AI from the Iron Man novelizations by PAD and Irvine (the movies, especially the second one, can't even compare). He was such a compelling character - you just kept on wondering: Is he sentient? Is he his own person, or is he just a reflection of Tony's personality? I loved how Tony's perception of his AI seemed to change with every chapter - from a genderless program, throught he - it - he who acted as if he knew better than Tony what was going on in his mind, to a sentient person who remained by Tony's side even when his human friends abandoned him.

Fraction tried to bring Tony's AI into Invincible Iron Man, but his J.A.R.V.I.S. - a subservient copy of Edwin Jarvis's personality - just doesn't compare to PAD/Irvine's Jarvis, a smartass Deadpan Snarker, "built to please", changing accents at will and making Stark feel like Dummy on a daily basis.

I would love Irvine to use Jarvis in an Iron Man comic someday. Lots of potential there, both for humour and for a darker, morally ambiguous story.