Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Cup O' Joe - Sep 10, 2010

The Marvelous match-up of Tom Brevoort & Axel Alonso is back with discussion of artists and writers roles in modern comics, a question for fans on events and tons of exclusive art including a first look at Spidey's "Big Time."

Full article here.

YAY. Questioned Answered. Thanks Guys.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    YAY. Questioned Answered. Thanks Guys.
    If by answered, you mean the revelation that Alonso does not care what happened to Gentle, nor seems to have ever given any thought to how Doomwar effected him...then yes.

Give Psylocke a new costume!
    Psylocke

About time we saw The Avengers in ASM again. I'm lookig forward to Big Time.......umm, big time.

That Spider-man art would of looked great... about six years ago. Dan Slott might have made a great Spider-man writer, too.

Opportunity lost.
    Last edited by alexforever; 09-10-2010 at 03:30 PM.

I do enjoy the Avengers cover.

Brevoort: I don't think anybody will be surprised when I say that the overall quality of writing in comics over the last ten years has gone up dramatically. The level of fundamental writing craft being employed in the field right now is greater than it was ten years ago, overall.
    With the stuff coming out in the recent years i'm begining to look more fondly at the 90's

Any idea what the Surfer pic is for/from?

Thanks.

I skimmed the article, so, going by the pretty pictures;
    1) What's the Doom cover for?
    2) I may have to pick up "Big time."
    3) I like the idea that Doctor Strange is going to stay in his street duds after the "Sorcerer supreme" arc is over. I prefer him that way.
    4) is that the she thing in Spider girl?

I think I would wet myself if Bru started writing Punisher MAX

Wait, the new Power Man ISN'T Tom Foster?

Huh.

Gonna have to pay more attention (to a comic I'm not reading, which probably explains things...)

So I'm curious as to what people are thinking about "Second Coming" and "Shadowland" and "Chaos War" coming up, or "Three" and the first arc of "Avengers" - all these smaller so-called events that we're doing. We've very specifically stayed away since the end of "Siege" from doing any one, big, massive event. And yet, that doesn't seem to be the message people are taking away from us. So I'd like to get a sense as to how people are feeling about what we're doing right now - what they like, what they don't like and how we could be doing things better.
    Replacing one huge line wide event with numerous unnecessary (and in most cases, meaningless) tie in mini series and tie ins in the ongoing series, with 3 almost simultaneously occurring (or at the very least, over lapping) separate "smaller" events with numerous spin off mini series and one shots, is like deciding to hit someone in the head with a hammer instead of a baseball bat. In other words, all you guys did was make a smoke and mirror switch that still allowed you guys to put out another (in this case, 3) short term sales boosting crossover stunts that when all added together, equals the number of books and tie ins that we would have gotten with one huge crossover event.

And let's not kid ourselves here, the sole reason for these event crossovers (read "gimmick") is to sell lot's of comics by catering to speculators and completest. And no matter how much you guys try to deny it or pretty it up by saying "it's not the same", you guys are intentionally repeating the same stupid mistakes that were made in the 90's by the Big 2 with all of these gimmick crossovers. You guys know full well that the only way for you guys to either boost or maintain the sagging sales on your books is to use short term gimmicks like event crossovers,limited edition variant covers,and "controversial" and shocking mainstream news media grabbing stories (like gay Rawhide Kid,THE TRUTH,and the death of Captain America).

On the flip side, major story arcs resigned solely to a single series (even if those story arcs are gimmicks like the upcoming "3" story in FF) is the right way to do an event, since it is more easier to keep yp with and doesn't require readers to spend lot's of money trying to keep up with all of the unnecessary tie ins. So the upcoming AVENGERS story arc is less of an event, and more of a standard story arc.

I would love to see Ed Brubaker write The Punisher in the normal Marvel Universe or in the MAX Universe. Hell, even in the Ultimate Universe.

Shadowland is awesome. I have picked up all the major 'events' from Civil War, Secret Invasion, Siege, Second Coming, Messiah War, etc and Shadowland is definitely my favourite so far. Probably because I love all the street level characters. Shang-Chi, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Colleen Wing, Misty Knight, Punisher. This story arc is like my dream come true of Marvel events!

How has no one mentioned the unicorn? That was very, very, very, very disturbing.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.