Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Inside The Other "Watchmen" Movie

CBR has an exclusive look at the "Watchmen" film that could have been as production designer Dominic Watkins shares his and Paul Greengrass' early concepts for a more realistic, modern version of the superhero classic.

Full article here.

That would have sucked ass. I'm glad it never happened.
    Everything burns...

BANNED

I dunno, doesn't look like it would have been much worse than what we actually got.

Really interesting-looking stuff, that's one folder I'd love to leaf through. The pictures of Dr. Manhattan creating his "fortress of solitude" are especially beautiful.
    Also, while I personally had no particular problems with Snyder's movie, it'd be really interesting to see this different interpretation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostious View Post
    Really interesting-looking stuff, that's one folder I'd love to leaf through. The pictures of Dr. Manhattan creating his "fortress of solitude" are especially beautiful.
    Also, while I personally had no particular problems with Snyder's movie, it'd be really interesting to see this different interpretation as well.
    i agree, i thought the movie was probably the best Alan Moore book to movie interpretation yet too. Not sure why directors like changing his works so much??
    Marvel: ASM, Deadpool, Thor, Iron Man, etc
    DC: Batman and related, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc
    Omnibus wishlist: Classic Deadpool, Pak Hulk, Spider-Man 2099

I have to say I think it would have been interesting to see the themes of the watchmen reflected on a modern world, I think that would have been really interesting to see.

We Crossed The Line Brother Justin Crowe's Avatar

Of course he'd make it "documentary style". Greengrass couldn't keep a camera from shaking if his life depended on it.
    I rule me.

I actually like how they tried to bring it in to current times. I don't know how successful it would have been, but it seems that both Dominic and Paul were aware of how badly this could go and worked hard to make sure it didn't go down that path.

I really love what he did with the Owl ship. Neat!

That said, I still like and enjoy what Snyder did with the film. This in no way diminishes that. I just find seeing how someone else may have approached it fascinating.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

not going to lie, these look very interesting to me. i like greengrass' style. maybe he could've given us a more than decent adaptation. however, im sticking to my conviction that a motion picture adaptation of watchmen shouldn't have been made or even attempted.

I wish these Hollywood Idiot Hacks would just follow Watchmen exactly.
    It's written as a manual on how to direct this movie.

I LOATHED Zack Snyder's version because he changed Rorschach to make the movie more liberal, he deleted Rorschach's philosophy, made Rorschach kill instead of giving the murderer a chance to escape, and made the fight scenes too unrealistic. It was as if they wanted to ruin it on purpose but made it close enough to discourage remakes. But to be fair, I thought the opening sequence on the Minute Men was very well done.
    Comic2read

Actually likes comics Darth Tigris's Avatar

:(

My main gripe invovled Rorschach as well.

I hated how Nite Owl and what's-her-name are out on a date, kind of chuckling about what a maniac Rorschach is..then they leave, get attacked by a gang, and proceed to dish out an ultra-violent bone-shattering ass-kicking that would have made the Punisher proud.

There were some fun elements to the film, though. And I wonder if we, the fans, would ever have been happy, no matter who directed it.

Nah...
    KIMOTAZAM!!
    (like 'Zing!', only bigger and louder)

Actually likes comics Darth Tigris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DannyWetts View Post
    My main gripe invovled Rorschach as well.

I hated how Nite Owl and what's-her-name are out on a date, kind of chuckling about what a maniac Rorschach is..then they leave, get attacked by a gang, and proceed to dish out an ultra-violent bone-shattering ass-kicking that would have made the Punisher proud.

There were some fun elements to the film, though. And I wonder if we, the fans, would ever have been happy, no matter who directed it.

Nah...
    Watchmen was nearly perfect as a comic. Why? Because the creators designed a story that was best told as a comic. Exactly as it is would never work better as a movie, tv miniseries, novel or video game.

For that reason, I would've liked to see THIS Watchmen because it would've been a an interpretation and not a slavish recreation (and no, Snyder's wasn't either). The key for me would've been that Greengrass is a talent I have faith in while Snyder never was. Not gonna call him a hack, but I long felt that a Watchmen movie would be the genre's best shot at a Best Picture win. When Snyder was attached, I completely gave up on that. You only get one shot at Watchmen and that was that.

Then again, maybe Astro City could stand a chance . . .

That is a really ugly Owl Ship.
    They might have messed up the real people as hero look by making some look exactly the opposite of what was intended but at least the Owl Ship looked like the book.

Actually, I think this one would've been more interesting to see. These people seemed to make some effort to make the story and setting relevant to contemporary audiences.

Watchmen film could've been something mindblowing, but sadly, for some unbelievable reason we got Zack Snyder, of all the directors in the world, to finally make it.