Page 326 of 399 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330336376 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,890 of 5974

Revisiting a joke theory : Kenpachi's got a healing zanpakutou whose abilities leak like Hyourinmaru, and the more she kills him, the closer he comes to consciously awakening it.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Revisiting a joke theory : Kenpachi's got a healing zanpakutou whose abilities leak like Hyourinmaru, and the more she kills him, the closer he comes to consciously awakening it.
    Considering Unohana has a healing zanpakuto, it's less jokey than you might think.
    It would only hammer the parallels home even more.

So it really could be a zanpakuto that keeps healing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Silence View Post
    Considering Unohana has a healing zanpakuto, it's less jokey than you might think.
    It would only hammer the parallels home even more.

So it really could be a zanpakuto that keeps healing him.
    Let's go with this for a second, the thing is, Unohana says her sin in a manner that she inflicted something on him. What could that mean in relation to your joke theory.
    Rogue and Bishop's daughter would be called Discharge, and she'd touch people and drain all or some of their bioelectrical energy out of them causing them to either die or fall unconscious. She could then use this energy to extend her own life, heal herself, enhance her physical abilities (speed, strength, stamina,) or discharge it as various energy beams.

The joke was that the best healers are the most bloodthirsty psychos, which culminated in the supposition that the final villain would be Blood Knight Orihime.

And maybe White Mage Nnoitora and Nurse Grimmjow, I guess.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    The joke was that the best healers are the most bloodthirsty psychos
    As an mmo healer on any mmo I play, you have no idea how happy this makes me each time it comes up.

And Unohana's sword heals people when it's released right? She probably did something like Gin does with Kamishini No Yari and left a piece of her sword in him. So now when he gets hurt the shard heals him up stronger than before.

Hell, maybe Kenpachi broke the sword off in himself, she does say they wounded each other, and she never got around to removing it.
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

You know, it makes sense that Ken got weaker.
    He refused to really get stronger. Instead of training more, he limited his power, to keep trying to recreate that feeling he got from Unohana. He's too rooted in this habits now.

I wonder if maybe that was part of Unohana's "sin" is that she effectively ruined him for everyone else when it comes to a fight.

He refused to really get stronger. Instead of training more, he limited his power, to keep trying to recreate that feeling he got from Unohana. He's too rooted in this habits now.
    That totally makes sense, yeah. As far as I recall Kenpachi has only expressed a desire to get stronger once, which was right after his fight with Ichigo. (At a point I dare say Kubo was still ironing out everyone's characterization.) Otherwise he rather seems to wish he was weaker. So of course he's more likely to regress than advance.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

It's funny... I always took that the other way around.

He wanted to increase the challenge of his fights because they were too easy without handicaps. He did this for his own pleasure but.... it would also have the side effect of making him more powerful as well. If you're getting stronger in a limited state... then it makes you all the better when you take those limiters off. Sort of like the weighted clothing in DBZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Spirit View Post
    It's funny... I always took that the other way around.

He wanted to increase the challenge of his fights because they were too easy without handicaps. He did this for his own pleasure but.... it would also have the side effect of making him more powerful as well. If you're getting stronger in a limited state... then it makes you all the better when you take those limiters off. Sort of like the weighted clothing in DBZ.
    That may be true for the hair-bells and the eyepatch. Not so much deliberately taking swords to the face, though. And insisting on using a self-taught fighting style that the rest of the shinigami doesn't even aknowledge as legit zanjutsu is more likely to give him bad habits.

See, it's not just that he's giving himself handicaps that he has to compensate for, like weighted clothes. He's actually fighting stupider than he should, on purpose.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

It's also arguable that he *isn't* using those handicaps properly, and he's always driven to the point of removing the eyepatch against those opponents. So, he's walking around with weighted clothing, and it used to it, but he's still reached a plateau with those.

Also, while it's certain he may have increased his muscle strength, so to speak, he's weakened overall as a fighter due to letting his skills fade.

Just like Unohana said, last time they fought, he didn't give her an opening to use cheap tricks.

It's also interesting to see how her philosophy is that holding back *isn't* enjoying a fight. Makes me think that Unohana is the type to simply curbstomp guys when she is able to.

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Well, he's been trying to find somebody who can beat him up as badly as Unohana did but all he gets are people who just aren't as powerful as she was forcing him to hold himself back in various ways, though he's skipped the bells during the timeskip. It's fairly reasonable that his abilities would be diminished if that became his regular style. Sort of the opposite of Ichigo's problem of always using too much power rather than what's required.

So if this lesson sticks we'll get a Kenpachi who doesn't wear an eyepatch and starts out the fight with using kendo strikes or something. I almost feel sorry for the Vandenreich.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    That may be true for the hair-bells and the eyepatch. Not so much deliberately taking swords to the face, though. And insisting on using a self-taught fighting style that the rest of the shinigami doesn't even aknowledge as legit zanjutsu is more likely to give him bad habits.
    Good point. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    See, it's not just that he's giving himself handicaps that he has to compensate for, like weighted clothes. He's actually fighting stupider than he should, on purpose.
    I get what you're saying but..... I wonder how much of it is because that's the way he wanted it to be.

The problem is that from Kenpachi's perspective it's not only working.... but working so well people aren't even a challenge. Hence the handicaps. It sends something of a mixed message when people say your style isn't a legitimate thing... yet your way is more effective than the vast majority of the people that are practicing it properly.

The other side of that is....... when Yama got around to training him Kenpachi didn't seem to resistant to the idea of learning, it was Yama who stopped teaching. Nobody would teach the guy from before the time skip until now, and the only reason that's changed is because of emergency circumstances. (Quincy)
    It's also arguable that he *isn't* using those handicaps properly, and he's always driven to the point of removing the eyepatch against those opponents. So, he's walking around with weighted clothing, and it used to it, but he's still reached a plateau with those.
    As the series has progressed so has the caliber of his opponents... but enemies of that level are still pretty rare in the grand scheme of things. They're
    outliers..... if they weren't then the majority of fights wouldn't have been so easy in the first place. There's no need for handicaps if your enemies are normally a challenge.
    Also, while it's certain he may have increased his muscle strength, so to speak, he's weakened overall as a fighter due to letting his skills fade.
    I don't see how.... his skills have improved after Yamamoto's training.

Has anybody noticed.... that when you post sometimes the words in a phrase will repeat for some reason?

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Spirit View Post
    I don't see how.... his skills have improved after Yamamoto's training.
    The only skill he really learned from that was that he could put more force behind his blows if he used two hands instead of one. And he doesn't even do that during fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    The only skill he really learned from that was that he could put more force behind his blows if he used two hands instead of one. And he doesn't even do that during fights.
    If he needed a whole day just to learn that then.... he must be a horrible student. lol.