Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Diamond Talks Street Dates

Roger Fletcher, the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Diamond Comic Distributors, tells CBR News how the industry giant settled on the new scheme of Tuesday shipping to all its direct market comics shop partners.

Full article here.

so what about the shops that get comics on thursday? will they recieve them on tuesday or wednesday?

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    the distributor began reaching out to its retailer partners
    Holy shit.

howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

I wonder if this is anything to do with Hibbs and ComicsPRO.

He's been saying that they need earlier delivery dates and diamond to work with retailers, organized an alliance, and recently had a conference with DC and it's new owners where he made this a key point.

So I wonder if Diamond listened to the retailers, or if DC got on the blower and asked Diamond why they weren't doing what the retailers asked.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

So, when does this start? Will this meam my comics will be on sale Wednesday morning now?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Starts January - and the hope is that this will allow shops to have their stock on the shelves for Wednesday opening.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    Starts January - and the hope is that this will allow shops to have their stock on the shelves for Wednesday opening.
    Does this cover Australia as well, Ian?

Bleeding Cool says it's happening in the UK.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyGreenJerusalem View Post
    I wonder if this is anything to do with Hibbs and ComicsPRO.

He's been saying that they need earlier delivery dates and diamond to work with retailers, organized an alliance, and recently had a conference with DC and it's new owners where he made this a key point.

So I wonder if Diamond listened to the retailers, or if DC got on the blower and asked Diamond why they weren't doing what the retailers asked.
    It arose from a suggestion made by one of the members of CBIA, a forum for industry professionals.

I want to say it was Paul Stock from Astro Books but it's the end of a very long day and I'm a bit fuzzy.

The idea has actually been kicked around for years. (I originally pushed for Friday ship for Monday delivery and Tuesday onsale. Only that fails to take into account that most public holidays fall on a Friday or a Monday.)

The probem was always how to enforce street dates, Paul (if it was him) suggested charging every participating retailer a small weeekly fee to fund a secret buyer program.

Does this cover Australia as well, Ian?

Bleeding Cool says it's happening in the UK.
    The UK situation is quite different to the Australian one though.

I'm waiting to hear back from my Diamond rep but I suspect we'll stay with (mostly) Wednesday delivery for Thursday on sale.
    Last edited by Iangould; 09-03-2010 at 12:18 AM.

It arose from a suggestion made by one of the members of CBIA, a forum for industry professionals.
    But was it the recent ComicsPRO meeting which kicked it off?

I just know that DC and Diamond were there, and Hibbs went in with it as the agenda... and the timing seems about right for something raised there to come into effect now.

The probem was always how to enforce street dates, Paul (if it was him) suggested charging every participating retailer a small weeekly fee to fund a secret buyer program.
    I think DC's way with the Blackest Night issues worked - just drop anyone who breaks the date from participating ever again.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

But was it the recent ComicsPRO meeting which kicked it off?
    No, Diamond did a retailer survey several months ago and it was under active discussion for some time before that.

I'm sure ComicsPro was involved in the discussions with DC but this isn't something that happened as the result of a recent meeting.
    Last edited by Iangould; 09-03-2010 at 12:17 AM.

No, DC did a retaielr survey several months ago and it was under active discussion for some time before that.

I'm sure ComicsPro was involved in the discussions with DC but this isn't something that happened as the result of a recent meeting.
    As Howy pointed out, I'm just shocked Diamond actually took action on something, so am trying to figure out what happened.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well according to the article its an "option" for those who wanna get the comics on Tuesday evenings and have em set up for Wednesday. Those who wanna do it can. Those who don't , won't have to.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Earlier this week, retailers and readers alike learned of the distributor's final decision
    Or the previous week if they were reading Bleeding Cool.

Hmmm...I guess I'll have to start going by my lcs Wednesday morning on the way home from work, rather than Wednesday evening on the way to work.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...