Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Superman Earth One Preview pages

DC Universe The Source has them posted up

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/09...-one/#comments

I like it. Well the art anyway, i think its to early to say about the story.

Default Earth One - Potentially the Best Origin Yet!!!

Don't know how many of you have seen the preview up on DC's blog but here's a link:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/09...man-earth-one/

Here's a snippet about it:

This October, writer J. Michael Straczynski (Superman, Wonder Woman, Babylon 5, “Changeling”) and artist Shane Davis (Green Lantern, Superman/Batman) will take readers on a journey both familiar and new – a story of a last son looking for meaning amidst the skyscrapers and teeming crowds of a great metropolis.

This is a Superman for the 21st century.

With SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, Straczynski and Davis inject the folk tale and legend that is Superman’s origin with a modern, vital and forward-looking energy that makes for a refreshing, epic and challenging super-hero adventure.
    In SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE – the first original graphic novel retelling Superman’s origin — Clark Kent is a man looking for meaning in a new city and an age of failing newspapers, hand-held devices and instant gratification. But when you can fly through the sky and burn objects with a glance – things become a tad more complicated. Doubly so when a fleet of alien ships arrive on your doorstep.

SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE channels the best tales of Superman with a look toward the future, by two of the brightest talents the industry has to offer. We’ve got a first look at the graphic novel below. Prepare to be wowed.
    If you notice the bold parts i'm seeing a strong similarity to Birthright. There are several threads talking about which origin is the best etc, but i know for me at least i have a strong feeling this will be it! Why? Because from the preview and everything else i've read from Shane and JMS it's going to be very character driven, modern 21st century Clark Kent/ Superman. That's what i've been missing. It's not worried about him wearing big glasses as a teenager or being a geek growing up so he can be Superboy and hang out with the legion. It's an organic tale of how someone grows up to be earth's greatest hero. I CAN NOT WAIT for this!! I looks like it will use a similar but improved approach to Birthright and maybe a little bit of smallville with it's approach to Clark. I could be wrong, but it looks really good. It's about time those of use who wanted a Modern version of Superman's origin that didn't worry about fitting into continuity are finally getting what we want. I think anyone who liked Birthright will like this, at least that's my impression so far.
    Last edited by Daybreak_st; 09-02-2010 at 06:42 AM.

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: ADVANCE PREVIEW: "Superman: Earth One"

DC Comics has released and early looking inside "Superman: Earth One" the first of the publisher's original graphic novel line set to redefine the Man of Steel under the pen of J. Michael Straczynski and Shane Davis.

Full article here.

Well I'm excited. I didn't think I'd like having a young Clark Kent but in those few pages, I'm convinced it'll be at the very least, decent.

The art looks pretty damn great too.

I concur with thine examination
    It's warping me

This actually looks fun. I can't wait.
    Superior Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man Team Up

Sheesh. CBR themselves posted this in the wrong board =/
    It's warping me

I got a Hulk preview.
    Religion is like a fart. It's only good when all the others stink.

The first page is Hulk art.

BANNED

JMS said that Clark in Earth One will play football in high school, so I don't see how that makes this similar to Birthright.

Also, it doesn't say in the part in bold that the alien ships are Kryptonian.

JMS did say that he would link the bad guys to Krypton's destruction or something, so the aliens mentioned in the solicit may very well be an alien race that destroyed Krypton and now threatens Earth.

As for the preview

Clark doesn't wear glasses, that's a plus. Makes it more like Man of Steel than Secret Origin/Action Comics #850/Action Comics Annual #10.

I get the feeling from the conversation about college that Clark may end up going to Metropolis University, like he did in the Byrne continutiy, or may end up going directly to work for the Planet. It could go either way depending on how realistic this is supposed to be. I get from the woman's comment about the importance of education that Clark may need to go to college if he expects to work at a newspaper. JMS has said that he intends to make the Planet as realistic (or did he say credible? I forget) as possible.

The use of heat vision to stop the mugger is more like out of the Golden Age Superman than the Silver Age version and its derivatives, which bodes well too.
    Last edited by ManofTheAtom; 09-02-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    I got a Hulk preview.
    I feel like a fool; I went through all the hulk pages thinking such things as 'well, those thumbnails were misleading'. Then I noticed the marvel symbol :p

When i eventually got to the preview, I thought it looked pretty hopeful.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

That doesn't look too bad at all--art is great, and I have to say, as an early twenty-something, that talk with your mom and just figuring out what the hell you're going to do with your life and how the hell you're going to do it feels VERY realistic so far.

This looks pretty promising.

Is there an exact release date yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ManofTheAtom View Post
    JMS said that Clark in Earth One will play football in high school, so I don't see how that makes this similar to Birthright.

Also, it doesn't say in the part in bold that the alien ships are Kryptonian.

JMS did say that he would link the bad guys to Krypton's destruction or something, so the aliens mentioned in the solicit may very well be an alien race that destroyed Krypton and now threatens Earth.

As for the preview

Clark doesn't wear glasses, that's a plus. Makes it more like Man of Steel than Secret Origin/Action Comics #850/Action Comics Annual #10.

I get the feeling from the conversation about college that Clark may end up going to Metropolis University, like he did in the Byrne continutiy, or may end up going directly to work for the Planet. It could go either way depending on how realistic this is supposed to be. I get from the woman's comment about the importance of education that Clark may need to go to college if he expects to work at a newspaper. JMS has said that he intends to make the Planet as realistic (or did he say credible? I forget) as possible. That's not like Birthright either.

The use of heat vision to stop the mugger is more like out of the Golden Age Superman than the Silver Age version and its derivatives, which bodes well too.

It reminds me of the scene in Man of Steel where he uses his thumb to knock out a female bank robber who was holding a bomb. In both instances he is using his powers to stop violent individuals who possesses no super powers themselves. The Silver Age fanboys hate the scene from Man of Steel, so they are bound to hate this one as well.

I don't see anything that reminds me of Birthright in the least.

Oh please, it's 21st century retelling of origin with clark as a very modern person with a focus on character development, how is that not like Birthright. Just b/c you don't like Birthright dont' be blind to similarities. Again i'm not say it's definite but of all the origins in last few years i'd say it reminds me the most of Birthright. Didn't know about the football deal but that will be interesting. You're talking about specific details, i'm not saying JMS is referencing Birthright in the least, just saying i think he and Waid may be taking a similar approach to the character when handling his origin. Also the inclusion of aliens in his origin story seemed odd but also reminded me of birthright even tho i'm sure it won't be a "fake" invasion. Heck look at the first two issues of Birthright and look at the preview, when was the last time other than Smallville you even saw a clark kent who looked like that. Again not saying he's even read Birthright just that he and Waid have a similar approach to making Clark young and contemporary and introducing him into a modern metropolis. And least i see the similarities.

Actually i think what i'm saying is that if a person liked Birthright i think they'll like this story b/c of the focus on character and it's contemporary setting for Superman's origin. Those elements were present in Birthright and i see them here. That's all i'm saying.
    Last edited by Daybreak_st; 09-02-2010 at 07:48 AM.