Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: FAN EXPO: From Smallville to Gotham with Gary Frank

CBR News spoke with British artist Gary Frank at Fan Expo Canada about "Superman: Secret Origin" and "Batman: Earth One." The convention appearance was Frank's first in North America in more than ten years.

Full article here.

BANNED

the Alfred looks bad ass. Could make for an interesting dynamic between/duo of Batman and Alfred

You referenced Christopher Reeve when drawing Superman, are there any Hollywood versions of Batman you are channeling for Batman? Or any artists who have worked on the character in the past?

I don’t think there is any other actor playing any other superhero who has ever so completely embodied a character in the same way as Christopher Reeve did Superman. But there have been a lot of great actors to play Batman. Obviously, Christian Bale has done some wonderful stuff and I still really, really enjoy watching the Tim Burton ones with Michael Keaton. I love his version of the character. But no, there is not really an actor who has played the character in a way that has dominated Batman in my imagination in the same way as Christopher Reeve has in doing Superman. So I didn’t really see where I would go to get that kind of inspiration, so I’m just trying to feel out the character and come up with a look and a body and a set of facial expressions which are kind of relevant to the character rather than someone because I liked them from a previous portrayal.
    I assume the reason he didn't mention that Alfred is Sean Connery is he figured we all have eyes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    I assume the reason he didn't mention that Alfred is Sean Connery is he figured we all have eyes.
    ha - I don't know, almost looks like a mix of Connery and Sam Elliot

I am really going to miss Gary's work on Superman. He drew Superman with a slimmer body, which in my opinion, makes more sense than having him look like the Incredible Hulk sinces Supes strength comes from the sun and not his muscles.

I did not mind Frank's Superman/Clark looking like Christopher Reeve...it didn't bother me or take me out of the stories he was telling at all.

I guess I will have to pick up the 'Batman: Earth One' ogn when it is released to get to enjoy some Gary Frank goodness!!

Great interview!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by eggie View Post
    I am really going to miss Gary's work on Superman. He drew Superman with a slimmer body, which in my opinion, makes more sense than having him look like the Incredible Hulk sinces Supes strength comes from the sun and not his muscles.

I did not mind Frank's Superman/Clark looking like Christopher Reeve...it didn't bother me or take me out of the stories he was telling at all.

I guess I will have to pick up the 'Batman: Earth One' ogn when it is released to get to enjoy some Gary Frank goodness!!

Great interview!
    I recommend Frank's Supreme Power if you have not read it - his art is superb in that

Quote Originally Posted by eggie View Post

Great interview!
    He should be the artist on the main title with JMS. Gary Frank should be on the title after the grounded arc.

Thumbs up

I have not bought a Batman comic book since Jim Lee was drawing him.

Looks like I will be buying more Batman comic books when the Gary Frank stuff comes out.

My give a damn's busted. KevinTBrown's Avatar

So it went from coming uot this year in November to no ETA..... "Nice."
    The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous

Everybody has a right to have an opinion, no matter how wrong they might be.

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives. ~ John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTBrown View Post
    So it went from coming uot this year in November to no ETA..... "Nice."
    Lol, Gary Frank said he is barely over 20 pages into penciling his Batman stuff, so it is far, far, away from being ready to publish in November. Frank doesn't draw 2 or more pages a day like Bagley or JRJR does for example. Frank is a slower artist, and his awesome work is worth the wait.

It's so refreshing that Gary Frank, on top of knowing what makes good comic book art, can actually deliver on his talk.

It's also quite nice that he's so frank (pardon the pun) regarding his own work, and while not naming specific artists, commenting on the styles of others.

Too many of these interviews are just worthless fluff, talking about how cool and universe-shattering their new book is, and that this is the best book they've ever worked on.

Instead, he actually provided in-depth information on his process and how he works with the writer. For a lot of creators out there, they simply jump from job to job, and hardly put any thought into their work. I'm glad that Frank is putting his all into the Batman OGN, and isn't thinking about what he'll do next when the book he's currently on isn't even done yet.

I was unsure about getting Batman: Earth One as I'm not a Geoff Johns fan, but this interview has definitely convinced me to get it. It's also nice to hear that Johns actually converses about the book and what he hopes to accomplish with his artist. Most writers and artists (that I know of) simply get place on a book and start writing/drawing, without any communication between the two.
    Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, we're only mortal. - Jean-Luc Picard

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - The Guide

Quote Originally Posted by keilthetarheel View Post
    I recommend Frank's Supreme Power if you have not read it - his art is superb in that
    I love his work on Supreme Power! It was so sad how it ended (after changing to Squadron Supreme) in the middle of a story!

Maestro Hulk: I totally agree! Gary should reunite with JMS on the Superman title! That would be so awesomely amazing!

Let me get this out of the way first, I Love Gary Frank's work! He is definitely one of my favorite artist.

He did an awesome job on his Superman work. I loved it all, but his Brainiac arc is a favorite of mine. His Brainiac design is great, and his Metallo, and Reactron designs are perfect that he came up with.

I'm super excited to see his take on Batman, and I know its going to be great. I'm only saddened by one thing though.. I thought it was announced earlier in the year that "both" the Superman, and Batman OGN's would be out by the end of the year. They shouldn't even solicit them if they know they can't make the deadline. Gary Frank isn't really that slow of an arist, so I put most of the blame on Geoff Johns, whose work I am big fan of too.

Anyway, that aside, I'm super excited for Gary Franks upcoming work on Batman. Until then I have his Squadron Supreme work, and his Superman work. Keep up the great work Gary Frank!
    "Welcome to the party pal!" - John McClane - Die Hard

BANNED

Certainly one of my favorite artists. I loved his Supreme Power work, and I even like the Christopher Reeve Superman. I'm more interested in Batman: Earth One because of Frank than Johns.

If he's only 21 pages in.. and not willing to even commit to 2011??? We're in for a looooonnngg wait.. Probably one well worth it.. but a long wait none the less..
    'It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys attack."