Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Diggle illuminates "Shadowland"

With the crossover event "Shadowland" currently shaking up the streets of the Marvel Universe, CBR News speaks with the writer and "Daredevil" co-writer Andy Diggle about his plans for the Man Without Fear.

Full article here.

We decided that if 'Shadowland' itself is very much about the costumed superheroes, then we were going to make 'Daredevil' itself a parallel story featuring the more grounded, down-to-Earth, regular human characters like Foggy Nelson, Dakota North and Detective Kurtz,” Diggle explained. “The idea being that you could read either story on its own and it still will make sense, but if you read both titles then hopefully it adds up to more than the sum of its parts. That keeps everything more grounded and a bit more self-contained, which I think 'Daredevil' readers like. They like the fact that the ‘Daredevil’ title has been fairly insular and not overly connected to the rest of the Marvel Universe. That grounded feeling means we can keep the story in ‘Daredevil' dark, gritty, and urban rather than overly superheroic. Tonally, I think that works nicely.
    Thank you so much for choosing to handle Daredevil as quoted. Wonderful!
    Last edited by arp2008; 09-01-2010 at 11:22 AM.

I love what they are doing with Daredevil; but if the title is cancelled or renumbered I'm done with it. They just finally returned it to it's original numbering which was way over-do.
    Phoenix Five Cyclops is hawt!!

Quote Originally Posted by unlimitedjason View Post
    I love what they are doing with Daredevil; but if the title is cancelled or renumbered I'm done with it. They just finally returned it to it's original numbering which was way over-do.
    If you're enjoying the stuff that they're putting out, why in God's name would you drop the book for something as trivial as numbering?
    READ SNARKED!

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_ View Post
    If you're enjoying the stuff that they're putting out, why in God's name would you drop the book for something as trivial as numbering?
    Lol, You know we are all crazy nitpickers here at CBR. A comic book with an issue #1 on it's cover is blasphemy around these parts. Issue #1000,000,000 sounds so much cooler.

Reluctant Kingpin ManWithoutFear's Avatar

Because he hasn't really thought his position through.

“Then the solicitation for 'Daredevil” #512 hit saying it was the final issue of the series, and suddenly everyone lost their minds. It was like, 'What's happening? They're killing off Matt Murdock! They're raping my childhood! And I'm like, 'Everybody take a deep breath and relax. We know what we're doing. We're respecting the character that you love.”
    God, I hope that last line is true.
    Last edited by ManWithoutFear; 09-01-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Reluctant Kingpin ManWithoutFear's Avatar

Oops. Double post. My bad. =(
    Last edited by ManWithoutFear; 09-01-2010 at 12:46 PM.

I am enjoying Shadowland but I'm annoyed that they have managed to spoil a few things in the solicits. Namely spoilers:
    Bullseye's resurrection
    end of spoilers and the Moon Knight solicit that revealed that Matt spoilers:
    is possessed by the Beast
    end of spoilers. I know that we all had pretty much figured these things ourselves but they could have been more careful! Also I'm not worried about the 'END OF DAREDEVIL'. Again, we all know he will be back so lets just see what is going to happen between and his triumphant return!
    ELEKTRA*LADY MASTERMIND*DAREDEVIL*ARIEL

Actually likes comics Darth Tigris's Avatar

So what happened to Frankencastle?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tigris View Post
    Read FrankenCastle?
    "I visited Latveria and all I got is a bunch of Doombot heads."

-Deadpool-
    Doomwar # 5

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tigris View Post
    The Bloodstone is currently healing his body. Shadowland takes place after the healing.
    READ SNARKED!

Actually likes comics Darth Tigris's Avatar

The Bloodstone is currently healing his body. Shadowland takes place after the healing.
    Gotcha. Thanks.

If it is as trivial as you say it is, implying that the numbers have no value, then why doesn't Marvel make every issue #1? That would be a gold mine right?
    BOOSTER GOLD (Michael Jon Carter), HAWKEYE (Clint Barton), IRON FIST (Daniel Rand), MOON KNIGHT (Marc Spector aka Steven Grant aka Jake Lockley), NIGHTCRAWLER (Kurt Wagner),
    NOVA (Richard Rider)

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    If it is as trivial as you say it is, implying that the numbers have no value, then why doesn't Marvel make every issue #1?
    Because that would defeat the purpose of numbering.

There's a middle ground between so trivial it doesn't matter and so important that changing it is an insult to all and sundry.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    If it is as trivial as you say it is, implying that the numbers have no value, then why doesn't Marvel make every issue #1? That would be a gold mine right?
    Marvel tries to have their cake and eat it too.

It really bugs me too. I understand why they did it, like they did with DD about 10 years ago, but then stay with it.

DD is rolling along and suddenly reverts to its old numbering ? That's the lamest scam ever.

I respect that DC has kept at least some of their core titles with the original number. The only title Marvel hasn't pulled that stunt with yet is Uncanny X-Men. Why not do it with that title ?

This interview helped me feel better about this whole direction, though, like the Bat titles about 10 years ago with the whole No Man's Land arc, my suspension of disbelief is stretched beyond any reasonable point with why it's all street level characters in this event.

Dr. Strange should be showing up helping to right the wrongs of this whole possessed Matt thing, or the FF or one of the many Avengers teams should come in.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am