Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: "Fantastic Four" Falls To "Three"

CBR News spoke with writer Jonathan Hickman and VP Executive Editor Tom Brevoort to learn more about "Three," the upcoming story-arc that will claim the life of one of Marvel's first family.

Full article here.

BANNED

I might have to lift my ban on buying $4 comics just to pick this up. Epting's artwork is incredible! I almost relented and picked up the latest Young Avengers, but I decided to wait and see on that, and pick up the trade if WOM is good enough.

The impact of "Three" is so great that Brevoort believes it will be very difficult to publish a book called "Fantastic Four" with only three characters. "You can interpret that in a number of ways," Brevoort said, "and probably every way that you interpret that would be correct."
    Soooo the book gets relaunched as Fantastic Three #1, goes on like that for a few issues, goes back to being Fantastic Four with a new fourth member, and THEN the dead character comes back and everything goes back to status quo.

Pangalactic Gargleblaster W0NK042's Avatar

Do we know who it is? I know they've (supposedly) killed Reed in the Ultimate Universe & they keep showing how Valeria is already smarter than Reed, so is it him in the 616 as well?

(Just hoping it's not Ben/Thing, I'm liking him in New Avengers... but then New Avengers is the only Avengers title I like.)
    No I don't look sick, but then, you don't look dumb.

Change.Org - Bring Back Richard Rider

I am looking forward to this.

Default .

As much as I've enjoyed Hickman so far, I have a very bad feeling about this.

It feels like more sandcastle smashing by a writer who wants to put his mark on the team.

We've been there before. The stories without Reed were among the worst in FF history.

The book works when all 4 are present and the dynamic that Lee and Kirby created is at play.

All of this "worst week in FF history" talk reminds me of the bitter taste of Avengers Disassembled that drove me from 20 years of reading Avengers and pushed me away from Marvel until Hickman brought me back.

I'm going to give this a chance, because I've loved it so far. But the obvious giddiness of Marvel editorial at the opportunity to shock us has me worried.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    CBR News spoke with writer Jonathan Hickman and VP Executive Editor Tom Brevoort to learn more about "Three," the upcoming story-arc that will claim the life of one of Marvel's first family.

Full article here.
    Three? Tom Defalco writing again? Will the thing where that helmet? becuase it would be a shame if he didn't.

That's for the older readers.

Default Totally new - not so much

What a novel idea! Let's kill off one member of the team.

And let's tell everyone that the story demands it.

Wow, I've never heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by W0NK042 View Post
    Do we know who it is? I know they've (supposedly) killed Reed in the Ultimate Universe & they keep showing how Valeria is already smarter than Reed, so is it him in the 616 as well?

(Just hoping it's not Ben/Thing, I'm liking him in New Avengers... but then New Avengers is the only Avengers title I like.)
    They have killed Reed in 616 a bunch of times already, so chances are good that he is the one.

And why spoil this?

Imagine, like me, you are a long time reader and you get the next issue. The tension mounts, you think "Woe, what's going on?" "This is very dangerous" And then mid issue it happens! no cliffhanger! the rest of the issue, you read it in shock, it sets in, by the last page, you have read a memorable tale.

WTF is this? Lets announce it! Yeah, marketing! More people will wanna read now that they know what's going to happen! What? This is a complete misfire in terms of organic storytelling, spoiling the moment. And they have the nerve to spoil it in the freaking title of the arc! A worthless move. Completely. Completely. Completely eliminates the tension.

and end nerd rage in 3,2,1....

breath
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

and yes, it is Reed thats gonna bite it.

Brand New Day for Susan!

Cougar on the prowl.....
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Quote Originally Posted by alexforever View Post
    Three? Tom Defalco writing again? Will the thing where that helmet? becuase it would be a shame if he didn't.

That's for the older readers.
    Funny that you say that, because I was just thinking about how the latest 2 part arc reminded me a lot of about the ridiculous convulted/hackneyed plotting of the Defalco era. Even the art reminded me of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    And why spoil this?

Imagine, like me, you are a long time reader and you get the next issue. The tension mounts, you think "Woe, what's going on?" "This is very dangerous" And then mid issue it happens! no cliffhanger! the rest of the issue, you read it in shock, it sets in, by the last page, you have read a memorable tale.

WTF is this? Lets announce it! Yeah, marketing! More people will wanna read now that they know what's going to happen! What? This is a complete misfire in terms of organic storytelling, spoiling the moment. And they have the nerve to spoil it in the freaking title of the arc! A worthless move. Completely. Completely. Completely eliminates the tension.

and end nerd rage in 3,2,1....

breath
    Gots to make dem bills.

How are you going to get people to pick up the book if you don't advertise that you are going through a massive shift?

But even as "Three" promises to "shock, surprise, possibly outrage and cause a certain amount of shirt tearing" in the fan community, Brevoort teased that the story-arc is just the first of many major changes that will have "Fantastic Four" readers dropping their jaws in the months to come.
    I have to give them props for admitting that this will certainly upset people. I mean some of the comments here alone prove that.

I also find it interesting that the reason they liked Hickman for the job was that he didn't know a whole lot about Fantastic Four before he started writing it. Seeing what a writer does with a title that he's researched, but isn't a raving fan of is always interesting. Sometimes it works (and from what I've heard he's done a great job so far) and sometimes it doesn't. When Three is all over with and the numbers come in, we'll find out how well it worked in this case.

Sounds interesting to me, but I will admit I'm not a long time Fantastic Four fan as some others.

The curious one.

Do they really expect us to take this seriously? Death? Come on. A parking ticket is more serious in the mu than someone dying.

I wish that they had asked him flat out if, After Captain America's death and rebirth, after Bucky's long term death and rebirth, after the incredible number of times we've seen death and rebirth why he expects death to mean anything in the mu this time.

Mark_S