Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Pipeline - Aug 24, 2010

Augie travels back Marvel's "Infinity Gauntlet" days, reliving his comics youth and finding early reaction to the story from the internet at the time. Plus, reviews of "Mesmo Delivery Service" and "Scratch9" #1.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Augie travels back Marvel's "Infinity Gauntlet" days, reliving his comics youth and finding early reaction to the story from the internet at the time. Plus, reviews of "Mesmo Delivery Service" and "Scratch9" #1.

Full article here.
    Infinity Gauntlet can be credited as the thing that got me addicted to comics.

And I love it. I loved George's transitions, and the way he'd introduce a narrator. They were mind-blowing at the time.

I reread it a couple of months ago, and I have to say, it's incredibly stupid. Half the world's population gets wiped out. Then the heroes fight. The heroes die. The cosmic beings get their ass whipped. Thanos loses the gauntlet because he doesn't really want toh ave it. Some heroes get brought back. Then everything is reversed. And at the end of it, Adam Warlock (a character I've never liked) is god. It's just so, so... dumb.

But fun. It was still great fun, and I didn't think I was wasting my time at all.

ShaunN

I have to say that I really hated the entire "Infinity Gauntlet" series. In my view, it really reduced the cosmic Marvel Universe to something mundane and stereotypical.

To explain: to this point, Marvel's true godlike-like beings - entities like the Celestials, the Watchers, Galactus, not to mention the Abstract beings like Eternity, Death, Order, Chaos, etc - functioned at a level that was both far above and somewhat removed from the level of a mere superhero. These were the true powers of the universe. They might interact with Earth's superheroes, but only as a small part of everything else they were doing. Marvel's cosmic universe had a scope and grandeur that the DCU has always lacked.

With the IG, Marvel wrecked much of that. Thanos gains infinite power but, apparently, absolutely no wisdom or insight. He is not changed by his omnipotence in any way - he is just a big purple thug with a lot of power. Then, he proceeds to take on and defeat all of these cosmic powers, thereby greatly reducing all of them in the process.

And I agree - the idea that Captain America and Wolverine would be called to combat a cosmic threat is silly - but it's part of the overall shrinking of the MU that the series entailed.

I think I've read elsewhere that later extrapolations of the IG series made Thanos's power a bit less overwhelming and even made it seem that he was being manipulated by the One Above All. Nonetheless, the IG did a lot to make the MU a less grand place.

At present, the "Thanos Imperative" series is walking a fine line in restoring some of that grandeur while also giving the lower-level superbeings credible roles to play in events that can shape the universe.

Loved the INFINITY GAUNTLET!!! Also just as cool were the 2 prequel issues that were in front of it, the THANOS QUEST issues printed on that high quality baxter paper.

I don't know about Essential Quasar... but I do want that series! I only have like 2 or 3 issues of it.

Way to give Mr. Comics to Film (Rob Worley) a bit of a spotlight! A CBR vet!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I completely agree with Augie that Infinity Gauntlet was just a superhero story, and one of the BEST. Today, people seem to be unwilling to write superhero stories. They write dramas, tragedies, even horror stories that *just happen* to include superheroes in them. But that doesn't make them Super Hero comics any more than the cowboys in Brokeback Mountain make it a western. Real superhero stories are all about the sheer wonder of mixing up genres like fantasy and science fiction freely, and Good cleanly winning over Evil in the end. Nothing wrong with the other stories, but nothing wrong with the original genre either. Provide for all of our tastes and you'll sell more comics.

Eric Masterson was Thor but he wasn't an Avenger yet. Hence the lettering corrections.