Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Sales Estimates for July, 2010

Inside you'll find the sales estimates for comics and trade paperbacks for July 2010 with "X-Men" #1 topping the monthly charts and "Scott Pilgrim" handily atop the trades rankings.

Full article here.

Interesting how the sales drop from June 2010 to July 2010 is almost all Marvel.
    jacktango
    Make something up! State it firmly, even arrogantly! -- The John Agar Code of Adventuring Scientists

I wonder why Deadpool is everywhere; his books aren't even big sellers.

Oh and Young Allies is so history.
    I'm gonna go sit on the toilet and read comic books--Eric Cartman

Quote Originally Posted by Flick View Post
    I wonder why Deadpool is everywhere; his books aren't even big sellers.
    Really? #44 with 38 thousand sales is not too shabby.

I'm just glad to see books I read even on the list, for example Savage Dragon at #239 with 5,494 sales. I wonder how many books have to be sold for a title to be profitable.

I would've liked to see Death Lives in the 300 top graphic novels, though I was glad to see the Judge Dredd case files on there in June.
    DROKK IT!!

Dear everyone:

Please give YOUNG ALLIES and HAWKEYE AND MOCKINGBIRD a look. Both are good books that could use some sales!

Thanks!
    The Hero Business by Bill Walko
    Because with great power comes great marketability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tango View Post
    Interesting how the sales drop from June 2010 to July 2010 is almost all Marvel.
    I blame "The Heroic Age". I know i'm gonna catch crap for this but, the entire movement is a mistake. The economy being what it is dose not help but this move to shove this empty headed garbage down our throats is driving away fans. Just my opinion here but i think the way to keep fans around isnt by ignoring continuity and recycling the same old stories over and over(KANG AGAIN JUST LIKE KURT WROTE IT LAME!!!)
    Last edited by Comicbookfan; 08-24-2010 at 03:43 PM.

☿Mecurial master of media Living Silver's Avatar

Color me wrong: apparently most of the comic reading crowd is not over vampires yet. If comics were fashion, then X-Men #1 would have been dead out of the gate. Then again, I wonder how many of us comic readers follow fashion trends.

Quote Originally Posted by Flick View Post
    Oh and Young Allies is so history.
    Don't say that!!! AHHHH! I love that book- I really want to see it continue. I'll be happy if it can keep it's head above water long enough to establish a solid fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    I'm just glad to see books I read even on the list, for example Savage Dragon at #239 with 5,494 sales. I wonder how many books have to be sold for a title to be profitable.
    Well Dragon is the only book Erik Larsen is doing, and he's raising a family, so it must make enough to put food on the table. Of course, there's no telling how much money he walked away with from the 90's, back when there was real money in comics.

P.S. If you've ever enjoyed Dragon at any time in the past, you should start reading it again. The book has been AMAZING lately- some of the best stories ever told are happening right now.

Are there even going to be comics in a few years? I mean, they can't be making much money on such small sales. The best sellers, save for that X-MEN #1, sell 80,000 copies. There are only maybe 100000 of us comic book readers left. I also suspect we are all middle aged. Not much of a future there.

I was also saddened by the sales of some truly great books-DMZ,DEMO,and SCALPED all around 6000. I can't imagine their creators can even make a living doing those books.

Quote Originally Posted by seanx View Post
    Are there even going to be comics in a few years? I mean, they can't be making much money on such small sales. The best sellers, save for that X-MEN #1, sell 80,000 copies. There are only maybe 100000 of us comic book readers left. I also suspect we are all middle aged. Not much of a future there.

I was also saddened by the sales of some truly great books-DMZ,DEMO,and SCALPED all around 6000. I can't imagine their creators can even make a living doing those books.
    well the comics market needs a radical overhaul imho. there are way too many titles and the publishers are way too greedy for what is essentially a niche market. also comics need to head digital to survive because lets face it paper-based products are going the way of the dinosaurs. and i think its a good thing really. digital wont degrade like paper based products. they dont take up as much room and theyre much versatile. also many comics fans are in their 30s-40s so yeah many are middle aged. what happens when the current generation dies out given that many kids arent into comics anymore? but getting back to the sales, i expect them to drop. because you no longer have to buy everything at your lcs these days. you can browse, purchase bulk lots off ebay, purchase them secondhand, etc. also theres always the internet if you dont want to buy comics.

pretty terrible numbers all-around. x-men # 1's sales are surprising but i don't see it lasting.

comics have lost me at this point and it appears that they're losing a lot of others as well.
    and i'm counting 1, counting 2, counting 3...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by seanx View Post

lamentable man. Guera is probably the best artist in comics right now - and most folks probably don't even know who he is

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by streator View Post

comics have lost me at this point and it appears that they're losing a lot of others as well.
    i'm with you - canceled my subscription at my LCS last week

Quote Originally Posted by keilthetarheel View Post
    i'm with you - canceled my subscription at my LCS last week
    i still have a few more pre-ordered issues to go but i stopped getting new comics with last month's solicitations.

they just don't interest me as much anymore and it feels like a good time for me to part ways with the hobby.

i'm planning on following the walking dead still in hardcover format but that's it right now.
    and i'm counting 1, counting 2, counting 3...

AssKickerOfTheFantastic DasPoppen's Avatar

There are still some great titles: Scalped, Unwritten, Walking Dead, Sweet Tooth, BPRD, Locke & Keye - even Marvel still publishes some good books. But indeed the overall trend doesnt look very promising. As sales decline the big two tend to use more and more gimmicks and focus on a few big franchises, i.e. Avnegers, Spidey, X-Men.

Aside from price, I'd say part of the problem is the illusion of change. The Big Two have been keeping the same characters front and center for so long that they can't afford to make truly lasting changes, which results in the same stories with the same characters that we've seen countless times.

Also I think it's time to make some major changes in the publishing strategies. The monthly format clearly does not work with every character, especially at $3.99 for a miniseries.
    Last edited by BrotherUnitNo_4; 08-25-2010 at 10:24 AM.