Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: ADVANCE PREVIEW: "X-Force" Sex & Violence" #3

Marvel Comics has released an advance look at "X-Force: Sex & Violence" #3 co-written by Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle with art and cover by Gabrielle Dell'Otto. The series concludes September 22.

Full article here.

This looks amazing.

Can someone old and/or smart list who all these bad guys are? I don't know any of them.

Secret Wars was all murky and dark, but this looks amazing. So clean and... visible. Kyle/Yost are going out on a high.

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timbox View Post
    This looks amazing.

Can someone old and/or smart list who all these bad guys are? I don't know any of them.
    Throne Room scene, Left to Right: Bullet, Boomerang, Black Mamba, Bella Donna, Razor Fist, Nakh (debuted last issue).

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

I hope this story is collected with a lot of great extras. Dell'Otto's work definitely deserves to be presented in an oversized edition.

That preview was cool i loved the contrast of the hands red against the black and grey
    X-men,Wolverine,Spider-Man,Invaders,Nick Fury Sr,Black Widow,Cap BUcky

Unlettered previews irk me, but anywho. I like the X-Force idea--a band of the most lethal X-peoples sent off to do the dirty work that Cyclops can't or won't have the X-Men do themselves--but the book always falls flat on this premise. Exactly what dirty work have they accomplished that isn't standard superhero fare? The book rides on constant injections of violence.

Dell'Otto is an incredibly interesting artist, but every pitch is the same. Dark, angular, and nothing but contrasts. Would it kill him to use color once in a while?

Ugh, sorry. Negative, ranty post.

Looks great as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow! Bam! Boom! View Post
    Unlettered previews irk me, but anywho. I like the X-Force idea--a band of the most lethal X-peoples sent off to do the dirty work that Cyclops can't or won't have the X-Men do themselves--but the book always falls flat on this premise. Exactly what dirty work have they accomplished that isn't standard superhero fare? The book rides on constant injections of violence.

Dell'Otto is an incredibly interesting artist, but every pitch is the same. Dark, angular, and nothing but contrasts. Would it kill him to use color once in a while?

Ugh, sorry. Negative, ranty post.
    Superheroes don't kill people not unless they HAVE too or by accident. X-Force goes in with the intent to kill not just stop the bad guys.

I couldn't see Laura coming back in time, from the Messiah War, and just slapping the Leper Queen. I know, there was no time but if she had more time she still would have killed her.

>

It's so beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly13 View Post
    Superheroes don't kill people not unless they HAVE too or by accident. X-Force goes in with the intent to kill not just stop the bad guys.
    That doesn't apply universally to superheroes.

X-Force was formed as a kind of superhero wet-works squad, but all they've done is get caught in time-travel hijinks (a tired X-Men cliche), saving the world (another tired X-Men cliche), and getting beat up before they sock it to the bad guys in the final act (rinse, repeat ad nauseum). My point is that they aren't and have never been what they were billed as: a superhero wet works squad. They've been a mediocre team with a (half) sub-par cast.

What's much rarer in mainstream superhero comics (outside the Authority and Supreme, sometimes the very terrible Invincible) is to present a superhero team that's actually good at what it does. Whedon's closing run of Astonishing X-Men gave us exactly that, and that's one of the reasons why it's so darn good: the X-Men finally get their act together.

But here's X-Force, bumbling around, and oh, look, someone's going to slit Wolverine's throat in the preview. It's old hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Regino View Post
    It's so beautiful.
    So true and it's a pity there are only 3 issues.

>

;_;

I thought it was for five issues. So pretty.

I probably like you. Filthy Mutie's Avatar

I like the X-Force idea--a band of the most lethal X-peoples sent off to do the dirty work that Cyclops can't or won't have the X-Men do themselves
    I know. It's great, isn't it?

Exactly what dirty work have they accomplished that isn't standard superhero fare?
    What?

The book rides on constant injections of violence.
    I don't know if that's true, but the violence was nice.

...but, that's the style Dell'Otto does. Would it kill Joe Mad to use some photo realism? Land to not use photo ref? Finch to not use cross-hatching?

X-Force was formed as a kind of superhero wet-works squad,
    OK.

but all they've done is get caught in time-travel hijinks (a tired X-Men cliche), saving the world (another tired X-Men cliche), and getting beat up before they sock it to the bad guys in the final act (rinse, repeat ad nauseum).
    It was only 28 issues long, with a couple one-shots on the side. I don't know how it could be so recycled for you. Messiah War was not cliche time travel hyjinks. They more or less facilitated Selene's rise to power, because they over-extended themselves with so much focus--wait, did you read the series?

My point is that they aren't and have never been what they were billed as: a superhero wet works squad.
    I'm pretty an X-Force member kills someone in nearly every issue.

They've been a mediocre team with a (half) sub-par cast.
    Oh! I get it, this is about taste. Subjective, not objective. You weren't interested in the cast and its premise, so you didn't really bother to read it. All right.

How do you feel about Chris Yost, Craig Kyle, and X-23?

X-Poster of the Month: December 2012
    X-Poster of the Month: December 2009

The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    ;_;

I thought it was for five issues. So pretty.
    You did? aww you must be so disappointed!
    "More like Earth is getting kicked to the curb and Magma just stands still." - Pixie_Solanas