Page 4 of 198 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Heh. Didn't expect to see this thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Heh. Didn't expect to see this thread again.
    ....As long as there're alternate realities and/or the remaining students/Avengers "in training" are not on "Murderworld" (sorry S/D for bringing up AVENGERS ARENA ), this thread will probably be here a while longer (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    ....As long as there're alternate realities and/or the remaining students/Avengers "in training" are not on "Murderworld" (sorry S/D for bringing up AVENGERS ARENA ), this thread will probably be here a while longer (hopefully).
    We still chat in the Generation X Appreciation topic from time to time and that series ended ten years ago. This topic has always sort of served as an Appreciation topic for AA, so I see no reason not to keep it going as long as we can. ^^

By the way, a page of the AA, from that Arena book:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Yeah...yeah...God, I'm gonna miss Academy.

By the way, a page of the AA, from that Arena book:
    Am I the only one who's disgusted that they get kidnapped on CHRISTMAS EVE?!!!!

I really think Hopeless is trying to make the book as miserable as possible. All we need is Arcade presented the decapitated heads of their parents before they get killed.

God, what a depressing book.

I really think Hopeless is trying to make the book as miserable as possible. All we need is Arcade presented the decapitated heads of their parents before they get killed.

Yeah, I really don't know why it had to happen then. It just seems to me like it's trying to be "dark" but it comes off as being tactless.
    Wonder Man > Wonder Woman

All of entertainment can be boiled down to either Sex or Death

No amount of modern revisionism by the vocal internet minority can change the good work Bendis has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonage2ftw View Post
    Yeah, I really don't know why it had to happen then. It just seems to me like it's trying to be "dark" but it comes off as being tactless.
    Frankly, I see a lot of trying to hard within the foundations, which is sad because Hopeless' character work in the last issue was really good. If the setup was better, I think I'd complain about it less. It tries to hard to be dark and grim, it tries to hard to make Arcade a legitimate threat, etc. In the latter's case, it pushed so hard at least half the readers aren't even buying into its reality.

Then again, I'm the guy who studied ancient roman Gladiator games and complains each time there's derivations from the 'standard' without justification. My favorites are Logistical.

Arena did one thing good for me at least; made me realize how much I liked reading Academy. Picked up the Trades almost immediately after its announcement.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonage2ftw View Post
    I think that they want to entertain the people who think teenagers deserve this cruel shit to them, when it just comes off very mean spirited.

I mean, God, none of the main Avengers get attacked on Christmas Eve!

I think that they want to entertain the people who think teenagers deserve this cruel shit to them, when it just comes off very mean spirited.

I mean, God, none of the main Avengers get attacked on Christmas Eve!
    You think this is bad? I don't know if you've ever read any of Marvel's old bible comics, but things do not go well for the main character come Good Friday (he gets tortured extensively and then killed).
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
    You think this is bad? I don't know if you've ever read any of Marvel's old bible comics, but things do not go well for the main character come Good Friday (he gets tortured extensively and then killed).
    HA!

But yeah, jokes aside, killing the kids on Christmas Eve is just plain mean spirited.

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

HA!

But yeah, jokes aside, killing the kids on Christmas Eve is just plain mean spirited.
    The kids are likely the jaded atheists common among their generation. They don't believe in the real meaning of the solstice. Such consumerists deserve death at the sick hands of their kind.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

I think it's just paying homage to Battle Royale because in the film the students were kidnapped around Christmas-time.

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    The kids are likely the jaded atheists common among their generation. They don't believe in the real meaning of the solstice. Such consumerists deserve death at the sick hands of their kind.
    Like there's much of the holiday that isn't secular at this point. Face it, the Atheists have taken over Christmas by pointing out how 70% of the modern iconography cannot be traced back to the professed religious source material! Santa is of Odin/Coke stock, The Evergreen and Mistletoe are Germanic as is the Yule Log! We have the Reindeer! We have Frosty! We have the Grinch!

CHRISTMAS IS OURS! MUWAHAHAHAHAA!
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    ...you do realize that Crossbones is still out there in the Marvel U, right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tpcallo View Post
    I think it's just paying homage to Battle Royale because in the film the students were kidnapped around Christmas-time.
    You know, there's homage and then there's following an anime note for note...

But still, that bugs me the most. Christmas. Two kids are killed the eve of Christmas in that book, and probably more will be killed on the day.

You know, Hopeless better deliver the grieving after this. I don't want a single panel of the kids crying and then they make some kill squad. Show the parents, show the teachers, show EVERYONE and how badly it is drivin home that their kids have been taken away from them because a sick freak wanted to play a game on them.

I swear to God, Marvel may claim they have the balls that they could pull this off, but if they completely ignore the fact that death hurts and skim over it for more stupid action, I'm done. You can't have gratuitous death and not show how painful the loss can be. The fact that Hopeless turned Hazmat into a joke in the last issue seconds after what happened makes me doubt the man can pull off his endgame.

Seriously, they can't glorify death and not show how painful the ramifications can be.

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

...you do realize that Crossbones is still out there in the Marvel U, right?
    I have no clue who Crossbones is. And having wiki-ed him, I still have no idea if your post makes sense.

Anyway, if Arcade hates on Christmas by killing people, and I hate on Christmas by wasting the festival on electronics, then he is unintentionally and exceptionally sympathetic to me.

The only thing I hate more than Catholic Christmas is Anglican Christmas, because it's more wishy washy, and the only thing more than that is secular consumerist Christmas because it causes an inconvenient glut of consumerism that ruins the height of summer for me with family stuff everyone hates. If we all be unreligious, then let us be properly unreligious. Screw festivities because of a solstice, celebrate when you like on your terms. Screw society. Party on the 14th of May if you like. Postmodernism. RAGE!

No god.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood