Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defenders

Default Defenders

We now have multiple CAP, Avengers, Deadpool, X, Hulk and Thor titles. Why not a Defenders title? Arguably the Hulk, Namor, and Dr. Strange are as interesting as they have ever been. Valkyrie and Hellcat have seen use of late. It seems like a good time to bring back the Defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon View Post
    Why not a Defenders title?
    Probably because there hasn't been a feasible concept that would sell.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Nova
    Quasar
    Gladiator
    Ronan the Accuser
    Beta Ray Bill
    Silver Surfer
    Moondragon
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by mattbib View Post
    Probably because there hasn't been a feasible concept that would sell.
    I collected the first 124 issues of the original Defenders. As I remember, it was popular and sold well. They just need the right creative team to capture those elements.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

I collected the first 124 issues of the original Defenders. As I remember, it was popular and sold well. They just need the right creative team to capture those elements.
    Youngblood sold like hot cakes.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

If it were that easy then Marvel wouldn't need to cancel titles every other month.

The past few tries at a Defenders concept didn't fare too well. If/when someone at Marvel comes up with a concept for a new Defenders title that they find strong enough to stand behind I'm sure give it another try.

I enjoyed the quasi-recent DeMatteis/Giffen/Maguire mini for what it was, but I have soft spot for those guys so not really sure how well it was accepted by general comicdom. I never read the Busiek-Larson run, though I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some copies. That's a talented combo there. You'd think with Namor, Strange, Surfer and the Hulk...that is a pretty solid team with a relatively strong fanbase for each character. If the creative team can get the dynamic right, it seems like it should go over well. Plus you could throw in Hellcat, Valkyrie or whoever else the writer wanted b/c part of the beauty of the defenders is the odd mesh of personalities involved, the "non-team" aspect of it all.

Defenders could work.

But I'd use the big guns of the team- Hulk, Strange, Surfer, and Namor.

And try to stay away from adopting unwanted X or Avengers characters.
    "The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Oh joy! Rapture! I got a brain!" -Ray Bolger as The Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz.

My favorite of recent years, the Last Defenders, sold horribly, so I know that won't ever be continued.

Son of Satan, She-Hulk, Nighthawk, and Krang!! I would've bought the hell out of that comic had it continued.

I'm honestly not sure the core Defenders really work as a full time on-going team.

Strange is sort of an Avenger, Surfer is a Herald of Galactus, Namor is an X-Men, and Hulk seems to sort of be doing his own thing.

I think having them do an occasional mini together for now would get my Defenders fix.

Personally I love the Defenders, and would happily buy another book featuring these characters. However, Marvel have been unable to attract attention to any team that isn't X or Avengers related in recent years, so I'm not sure a Defenders book would sell well enough to appeal to the powers that be. With Marvel growing more insular all the time and falling back on their tried and true franchises, I don't anticipate seeing a Defenders book anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Personally I love the Defenders, and would happily buy another book featuring these characters. However, Marvel have been unable to attract attention to any team that isn't X or Avengers related in recent years, so I'm not sure a Defenders book would sell well enough to appeal to the powers that be. With Marvel growing more insular all the time and falling back on their tried and true franchises, I don't anticipate seeing a Defenders book anytime soon.
    I think marvel actually has done a pretty good job with the TBolts.

It's definately not an easy task... marvel tried its best with Atlas. They tried hanging in there with Exiles. But TBolts at least still seems to be chugging along.

I think they may give Alpha Flight a shot, though I'm skeptical that it'll have legs. But we'll see.

There is a defenders title. It's called the new avengers. It's more or less the same thing.

it should be a new defenders title, give it a whole new look and feel, same as new avengers.
    starring a different caliber of defender...

DOCTOR VOODOO
    BLACK PANTHER (current...though i would prefer T'Challa, with a gun!)
    MACHINE MAN
    DEATHLOK
    NAMOR
    SKAAR
    HELLCAT
    SUPER-SKRULL
    GHOST RIDER (Johnny Blaze, but with the Spirit regaining more control and being able to talk again)

yeah big team but fudge it, they have a whole realm to protect.

the stories should involve big threats to little threats, take the team all around the world and our solar system and other dimensions....the series needs a goal to go towards, it should be something like the doc voodoo sees a massive threat coming back....maybe because of the fault its something like shuma-gorath or something and they have to try and stop it but theres already crazy shuma-gorath cults and mephisto causing trouble and other stuff they have to deal with while trying to stop this evil god coming back....reason why he is able to come back is because of The Fault out in space.
    Last edited by nicktem; 08-18-2010 at 07:40 AM.

Which Defenders?

The fearsome outcasts? (Doc, Hulk, Namor, Surfer)
    The wacky outcasts? (Val, Hulk, Nighthawk, Hellcat)
    The supernatural heroes? (Val, Doc, Son of Satan, Gargoyle, etc.)
    The new Champions? (Angel, Iceman and others)
    The random team-ups? (Wolverine and others)
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963