Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Pipeline - Aug 17, 2010

This week, Augie rereads "NextWave: Agents of H.A.T.E." and finds what he calls "the most perfect comic." Also, some thoughts on the coloring of "Kick Ass," the truth of "Peter Pan" and more on digital comics.

Full article here.

Great column. I've been meaning to check out NextWave...and I'm currently eyeballing digital comics to buy and read on my new iPad. If Marvel puts this series out in digital format I'll buy.

I completely agree on the .99 cent price point for back issues. I'm looking at all the old Lee/Ditko Spider-Man available right now. At $1.99 each my brain tells me to go out and buy a Marvel Essentials edition for about $15 for the same amount of content as what would cost me $40 digitally. But at $0.99 each I'd be happy to read the same content immediately and in full colour for about $20. At that price point, the convenience and full colour becomes worth the extra spend (in my head at least).
    Last edited by Lexor7; 08-18-2010 at 04:32 AM.

Great column. I've been meaning to check out NextWave...and I'm currently eyeballing digital comics to buy and read on my new iPad. If Marvel puts this series out in digital format I'll buy.

I completely agree on the .99 cent price point for back issues. I'm looking at all the old Lee/Ditko Spider-Man available right now. At $1.99 each my brain tells me to go out and buy a Marvel Essentials edition for about $15 for the same amount of content as what would cost me $40 digitally. But at $0.99 each I'd be happy to read the same content immediately and in full colour for about $20. At that price point, the convenience and full colour becomes worth the extra spend (in my head at least).

Augie

Fantastic write up on Nextwave. I recently read this for the first time and after finishing immediately went to write a column about it for She Has No Head! over on CSBG - I haven't published it yet, and will now have to wait a while since you've posted such a great one about the same book, but it's totally worth the wait to read your column, which completely reflects my same feelings about the book. Really, one of the best (and certainly most fun) comics I've ever read.

Anyway, thanks again for the great write up.

While I didn't read most of the article (as I haven't read Nextwave yet and I don't want to spoil it), I do want to comment on your decision to not see Kick-Ass.

I wholeheartedly recommend that you do. It's tied as my favorite film of the year along with Inception.

While I agree, the comic was quite vulgar and depressing (I personally didn't enjoy it that much), the film is an entirely different beast.

There are quite a few changes to the film that, while not too drastic, are just enough to push the film into a heartwarming little tale.

And it's also not as violent.

If for nothing else, see it for Chole Moretz's brilliant performance as the scene-stealing Hit-Girl. You'll probably even enjoy Nicholas Cage's parody of Adam West's Batman.
    Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, we're only mortal. - Jean-Luc Picard

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - The Guide