Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Stranger in the mirror.

James Clavell books are hard to grasp. I couldn't finish any of them.
    A N I M E

Oh, cold thread. 12-03-2010, nice.

Anyway, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, don't know why but i always have a hard time to finish cyberpunk books. Happened to me also with Hardwired for example.

Some times with Stephen King books too. Not a big fan of the way he often talks, talks and talks about stuff not really all that interesting concerning secondary (or even the main ones) characters.
    Last edited by Nico Olvia; 01-06-2013 at 01:33 PM.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
    Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien - tried reading this a while ago, I can't recall if it was before or after the first movie, but it bored me out of my skull. I got about 100 pages in, or to about where Tom Bombadil shows up, and decided I had better things to do. I periodically consider revisiting this, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpconleyiv View Post
    American Gods by. Neil Gaiman - I don't know why I just can't finish it. I have heard nothing but good things about it and yet I cannot stay focused. I feel as if it moves extremely slow and the characters don't really know what they are doing. I also feel when I'm reading it that its set 40 years ago, when in actuality its supposed to be current.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judomaster View Post
    1. Frankenstein by Shelley. This book, in my opinion, should have been a short story. While the subject matter is, of course, interesting, the innumerable passages in which the monster is seen to be "brooding" make for one of the most laboured reads I have ever experienced. That this is loved by so many is a complete mystery to me.
    These three are the ones that stick in my mind most, as three classic books I couldn't finish. I so rarely can't finish a book, even if I don't enjoy it, I'm determined to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingPancake View Post
    the Aeneid: Wasn't very captivating.
    Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Maybe I'm just conditioned by modern fiction, but I had the same problem with The Aeneid that I did with Iliad and Odyssey (though I finished all 3); the hero doesn't seem to do much. He's mostly just a chess piece moved around by gods, and his main task seems to be just praising those gods constantly and very very hard so they decide to move him some place nice and give him what he needs.
    What I loved about the Aeneid was the combination of the Odyssey and the Iliad in one book; split into three sections. I studied it for A-level, so lots of the "reasons" for certain sections (esp. Tartarus) made a lot more sense, and therefore had more power. Unlike the Odyssey (which I didn't enjoy), I loved reading the Aeneid, because it constantly changed. I do agree the hero doesn't do much, but truthfully it's not about him. It's about Dido, the Games and then Turnus.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-07-2013 at 04:55 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

I never got around to finishing Heart of Darkness. Something about the writing style just put me off. It's still sitting on my bookshelf taunting me to go back to it.

The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - A friend loaned me this in 1995, after hearing me make some favorable comments about Notes from Underground. I read maybe 50 pages and gave up. Came across this book recently while going through some old boxes in storage. The friend never asked for the book back.

Quicksilver, by Neal Stephenson - I enjoyed Snow Crash, and I liked both The Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon. But I was defeated by Quicksilver. The pacing was slow and there were these unbearably long lectures about minutiae, so I just gave up, on both Quicksilver and Stephenson.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

American Gods for me as well.
    Dark Tower book 2 - I liked the first one, and couldn't get through the midpoint of this one.
    One of the Ellroy books, forget which one it was that I started.

Divergent by Veronica Ross.

A girl in a boot camp, doing...stuff like training and paint ball. I don't know, it just bored me so much that i stop reading it around the middle.

And this factions thing is so simplistic and silly really. A society like that wouldn't even hold for a day.

Somewhere over the rainbow (or Paris, France)

The Hobbit: tried twice, stopped twice at the same moment, the scene with the trolls (or another monsters) around a firecamp. So boring.

Storm front (Dresden's Files 1) : Chapter 8 (or 10 ?) with the talking skull was just too stupid for me to continue. And it was awfully written.

Dark Tower 1: the novel is very short but I'm bored out of my mind at page 11.

Le petit prince: can't pass the first chapter. Boring.
    The Unwritten - iZombie
    Frankenstein Agent of SHADE - Batwoman - The Flash - Captain Atom
    X Factor - Beasts of Burden - Star Wars Invasion - Witch Doctor

I think I'm too OCD to not finish a book once I started reading it, I mean it would have to be really bad. Sometimes I might stop reading a book but I will usually come back to it later. Like the first time I picked up Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities I couldn't get into the writing but I eventually came back too it. I still think its kinda boring until the French Revolution comes along and the start chopping off peoples' heads. Another books was John Milton's Paradise Lost could not get into that style of writing the first time I picked it up.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

i finished The Fellowship of the Ring but quit The Two Towers about halfway through. i tried to read The Three Musketeers this year. i only got about ten or twenty pages in.

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide Kid View Post
    [B]

Storm front (Dresden's Files 1) : Chapter 8 (or 10 ?) with the talking skull was just too stupid for me to continue. And it was awfully written.
    Oh thank god....I thought it was just me.

The Fellowship of the Ring: Read The Hobbit and loved it, and the movies made me all the more excited to get to the original source material....which turned out to be about 30-some pages of the hobbits trolloping through a forest looking for mushrooms. I wish I could've outlasted and I may return to it but that first part of the novel killed whatever excitement and interst I had.

The Boat Who Wouldn't Float: Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Mowat fan, Never Cry Wolf being one of my favourite books. But something about this one, a retelling of Mowat's time in Newfoundland with a troublesome two-person ship, just made me put it down about half way through. My bookmark is still tucked in there, and it's sitting on my shelf mocking me.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Lord of the Rings 13 years ago. I barely got through them 20 years prior but they are rough.

There are so many more, but I don't remember right now.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Somewhere over the rainbow (or Paris, France)

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    i tried to read The Three Musketeers this year. i only got about ten or twenty pages in.
    I forgot about this one. Couldn't pass the arrival of d'Artagnan in Paris, just wanted to slap the b%$ !

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias March View Post
    Oh thank god....I thought it was just me.
    It is sad but he just can't write. I've tried to read the comic-book Welcome to the jungle and it was still awfull.
    (but I'm having a good time playing the paper RPG sets in his universe)
    The Unwritten - iZombie
    Frankenstein Agent of SHADE - Batwoman - The Flash - Captain Atom
    X Factor - Beasts of Burden - Star Wars Invasion - Witch Doctor