Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: CCI: DC Universe Online Panel

The secrets of the long-awaited massively multiplayer game "DC Universe Online" were revealed at Comic-Con International by the creators of the game, including Jim Lee, Marv Wolfman and Mark Hamill.

Full article here.

That picture of Doomsday looks like the bastard child of Wolverine and Godzilla.

I just can't get excited over this, the cut scene was nice but online games devolve into messing, grinding second jobs no matter what they are.

Does this come with a monthly fee? Because lets face it that's a bigger turn off than a fat man in a thong.

Quote Originally Posted by lead sharp View Post
    I just can't get excited over this, the cut scene was nice but online games devolve into messing, grinding second jobs no matter what they are.

Does this come with a monthly fee? Because lets face it that's a bigger turn off than a fat man in a thong.
    It's 14.99 a month.

I want to like this, and I may still give it a try when it comes out, but I hate the Doomsday design, I just don't understand it. On top of that, every time I see the player avatar examples, I can't help but think that they look like extras from Tron.
    "The test of the artist does not lie in the will with which he goes to work, but in the excellence of the work he produces." --Saint Thomas Aquinas

I've never played an MMO but I think this is the one for me. This really looks great and I loves me some DC !

Wonder Woman is the character from the clip that really impressed me. I hope later on in the comics we can get THAT costume.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerKB View Post
    It's 14.99 a month.
    See, I was dead keen on trying the game - I'd go out and pre-order it, etc.

Then, of course, the monthly fee rose it's hideous head. It's pretty expensive for something I'd only play maybe one or two hours a week; even more so when you take into account currency exchange rates.

So, sadly, this won't be a game I'll be buying.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    See, I was dead keen on trying the game - I'd go out and pre-order it, etc.

Then, of course, the monthly fee rose it's hideous head. It's pretty expensive for something I'd only play maybe one or two hours a week; even more so when you take into account currency exchange rates.

So, sadly, this won't be a game I'll be buying.
    A lot of MMOs go free to play after a few months of failing while using a subscription. I'd say that since this game is on PS3 (where most gamers have never used a fee) and because of how expensive it was to make this game, they're bound to do this if it doesn't stay afloat.
    Last edited by ChargerKB; 08-09-2010 at 07:43 PM.

It's 14.99 a month.
    That's a really fat man.

With one free month of play, multiple character slots, and immensely cities to explore, im all over this. I especially like that combat wont be like most mmos where you just watch the screen and click a button when a meter fills, it will be a beat'em up at the very least. The real selling point to me though is how they did the powers, everyone powerset is possible regardless of your origin.

I can't wait to see how it all comes together in terms of building your hero, from the videos and interviews it sounds pretty immense. It looks like we get to pick a power set and level/learn what abilities we want from that powerset, not to mention we can learn iconic powers on the side like Superman's heatvision, or artic breath. .im just curious if this is all seperate from the stat leveling system, such as my actual strength determining what i can lift and not a powerset, but i think they said something to that effect.. november seems to far away though.
    Rogue and Bishop's daughter would be called Discharge, and she'd touch people and drain all or some of their bioelectrical energy out of them causing them to either die or fall unconscious. She could then use this energy to extend her own life, heal herself, enhance her physical abilities (speed, strength, stamina,) or discharge it as various energy beams.

Quote Originally Posted by Kage Kisaragi View Post
    With one free month of play, multiple character slots, and immensely cities to explore, im all over this. I especially like that combat wont be like most mmos where you just watch the screen and click a button when a meter fills, it will be a beat'em up at the very least. The real selling point to me though is how they did the powers, everyone powerset is possible regardless of your origin.

I can't wait to see how it all comes together in terms of building your hero, from the videos and interviews it sounds pretty immense. It looks like we get to pick a power set and level/learn what abilities we want from that powerset, not to mention we can learn iconic powers on the side like Superman's heatvision, or artic breath. .im just curious if this is all seperate from the stat leveling system, such as my actual strength determining what i can lift and not a powerset, but i think they said something to that effect.. november seems to far away though.
    Will you still like it when you have to pay 14.99?

No, he just ignored the 14 other times it's been mentioned in the thread. And the fee in every other Western-published MMO when it comes out.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    No, he just ignored the 14 other times it's been mentioned in the thread. And the fee in every other Western-published MMO when it comes out.
    I was joking.

He said that the one month of free play was one of the reasons he wanted the game.

yes indeed, as someone somewhere else mentioned this is the standard cost on p2p mmo's... the savings speak for themselves.

I can be assured that this game will have maintenance done often, new content added and servers maintained. If i play this game as my primary game with the exclusion of any other MMO and quite possibly any console game the savings speak for themselves.

60 dollars + 165 dollars = 225 dollars.

as opposed to

4 60 dollar games over the course of the year = 240 bucks.

This assumes you aren't buying a new game every other month and that you are probably beating said games you have bought 1 per month, that means in less than a year you have spent more and gotten less milage out of your games.

Now this might now be true for everyone but I can say from my own experience I have certainly spent more than 225 dollars this year alone on gaming equipement and games so a chance to cut back like this is a well desired break.
    Rogue and Bishop's daughter would be called Discharge, and she'd touch people and drain all or some of their bioelectrical energy out of them causing them to either die or fall unconscious. She could then use this energy to extend her own life, heal herself, enhance her physical abilities (speed, strength, stamina,) or discharge it as various energy beams.

i signed up for the beta, this looks like the best game ever. i am so excited i can barely manage how much i want this!