Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Yeah, that's what happened; I asked for the media rate and they told me I couldn't get it for comics. The thing is, I specifically went to a different post office this time because they charged me so much at the other one, but these guys said the same thing.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I've run into that once or maybe twice over the last half-decade or so, as I recall, so unless I'm asked I don't volunteer the contents of what I'm sending ... & it's been years since that happened. Also, that was at the post office about 4 blocks from my house, which I use maybe once a year; these days, I always use the one here on base.

Sounds like the postal people in Massachusetts simply are much more vigilant than their Alabama counterparts.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 09-21-2010 at 07:20 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Hmm. Neither place actually asked what was in the package, it wasn't until I tried to get a cheaper rate that the fact it was comics came out. I don't know what their deal is. There must be a way to get these mailed cheaper though, none of the comics I get from ebay have shipping this high.

In any event, I'm pleased to hear that you already had only 1 of those comics. That's always a calculated risk with the crowd here, of course -- you can't tell the collections without a scorecard, as it were. (For instance, several of us have most or all of the Atlas Seaboard line; others have never laid eyes on a single issue, not that their lives are somehow any emptier because of it.)

That Doomsday+1, btw, reprints #1 (which I'm pretty sure I don't own, though I did -- or at least read it fresh out of the spinner rack -- back in the day), from back when John Byrne was pretty much fresh out of the fanzine world & still showed an endearingly (to me) cartoonish quality in much of his work.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 09-21-2010 at 07:34 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Hmm. Neither place actually asked what was in the package, it wasn't until I tried to get a cheaper rate that the fact it was comics came out. I don't know what their deal is. There must be a way to get these mailed cheaper though, none of the comics I get from ebay have shipping this high.
    Just tell 'em you want Media Mail, period. That's what I do. (The fact that I've become friendly with the main counter guy here on base through frequent patronage & an ability to occasionally make sports-related conversation probably doesn't hurt.)

(Of course, I'm also one of the most wonderful human beings who ever walked the planet, not to mention modest to a fault, & of course he realizes that. Maybe the people you're dealing with realize that you're a super-meanie who refuses to give all those vintage JIMs to needy children at the nearest hospital ... or, even worse, to send the comics to me so I can give them to needy children at the nearest hospital.)
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 09-21-2010 at 07:38 AM.

-- Reptisaurus!

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Yeah, that's what happened; I asked for the media rate and they told me I couldn't get it for comics. The thing is, I specifically went to a different post office this time because they charged me so much at the other one, but these guys said the same thing.
    About 1/3 of my packages still arrive by media mail. In one instance, a package was returned to the seller by the PO (they dumped everything on her front porch, opened, thankfully her books were well-packed and protected). Embarassed as hell, she sent messages to all the buyers and offered to refund paypal money since she felt ashamed to ask for more money to send by regular mail. Since she had sent me a 9.2 Daredevil 168 (first Elektra) for $3.00 in an earlier purchase, I gladly sent her some extra cash to cover the extra shipping...and got my run of Spidey in the early 190s to around 209 for about $2.50 each...also in 9.0 - 9.4

Seems like the media mail stiffs operate randomly rather than wholesale.
    Last edited by Jezebel Bond; 09-21-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

v. cool to see that the exchange is still happening!

Rather than post a new thread for this, I thought I'd just do my Black Talon impersonation and necro this thread.

I've got a pile of horribly water-damaged Charlton romance comics from the early 1970's that need a new home. I got these in an eBay lot over a year ago now and I've just never gotten around to reading them; and I've realized that, considering I still have a backlog of DC romance stuff I haven't yet read -- which I am far more interested in -- I'm just never going to get around to reading these comics.

So if anybody wants them -- there are around 20 issues of various Charlton romance titles, all of which were basically soaked through at some point in the distant past, meaning they are perfectly readable but otherwise of no value -- let me know either here or via PM and I will mail them off to you free of charge. The space getting rid of these, both physcial and mental, is worth the $12 shipping.

And if you feel like mailing me some random comics in return to reopen the Classic Comics Exchange, feel free. But really, I just want to find a new home for these with someone who will appreciate them more than I can.

Not interested, Scott, sorry, but I'll bump the thread for ya cause I've got tons of stuff I don't know what to do with. I wouldn't mind trading for stuff I'd like to read.

Well, I found ta taker for my Charlton romance comics -- myself! I ended up getting bored and finally looking through some of them and they're actually totally awesome. So I guess I'm going to keep them.

But if anybody still wants to exchange some random back issues like Dan and I were doing before, I still have plenty of weird comics clogging up my house.

i ended up giving away my stack of duplicates and things i didnt want to the fella who bought my car

He was going to give them to his son to encourage his reading.

This thread is still going today I recieved a package from danbailey his went out today (would have went out way sooner but work is a pain). Heres what he sent
    Ms Tree 1-13 18 32-35 39-40 43 45
    Ms. Tree 3-D #1
    The PI's (Michael Mauser & Ms. Tree) #s 1-3
    Ms. Tree Quarterly (DC) #s 1 6 10
    Spectre #12, 46 (1992 series)
    Starman #47
    Astro City Dark Age Book 4 #3.

I have some duplicates/stuff I dont want. Heres a vague idea I went through the collection quickly. Anyone wants them Ill trade for duplicates/or stuff you dont want. As long as its not total garbage type stuff. Just pm me or post what you have in here.

Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew-I have two complete runs for whatever reason
    Four Women mini from Homage
    West Coast Avengers huge run probably only missing the last couple of issues
    1985 by Millar
    House of M I know many on here enjoyed this very much
    Alpha Flight-all the post Byrne stuff almost complete

Ill get exact numbers for the people who ask.
    Last edited by mrc1214; 01-07-2012 at 01:13 PM.

I'd like to get involved in this more. Twice i have had the good fortune of receiving books from fellow Classics board regulars. Both times they were much appreciated.

I have about a short box worth of doubles or books that simply don't fit into my collection as I am pursuing it today. I need to go through and list everything, which I will do in the next couple days. If anyone sees anything they are interested in when my list goes up, please let me know.

Nothing will be expected in return unless a trade is desired.

I have some Cerebus (from like 50-112 or something) and West Coast Avengers (from 1-around 70 plus more) if anyone is interested.

I would like to see if we can get this going again in some form. Earlier this week I sent icctrombone a comic he needed and in return, he pretty much blew my mind with a big pile of back issues I needed that I thought were way cooler than what I sent him. Then again, that's the spirit we want: I sent him something he thought was cool that I didn't need, and he did likewise. It's a big happy Classic Comics family and honestly, a real pleasure.

And since I know this is going on behind the scenes here all the time, I thought we might fire up this thread again so it's a little less hit and miss. If I hadn't have randomly seen a comment icc made in a different thread, I never would have known we each had comics the other needed. And I have a feeling I have plenty of other comics I don't need that would find a much better home with one of you guys, and the reverse is probably true.

So I'm going to post both a brief rundown of what I have available as well as my checklist of what I need. If anybody wants anything I have, let me know and I will send it out, no charge. And if you happen to have some comics sitting around that you think I might appreciate more, then by george, that's what I call a Classic Comic Exchange. And if you don't have something I need, well, that's no problem either, I'm still happy to send books to people who need them.

Even though I recently purged all my duplicates, just a couple short months ago, I've already ended up with a whole short box of doubles from lots I have bought. So I have issues of the following series available; if you need anything from these series, send me a PM and I can send you a list of what I have:

Unexpected
    Our Army at War
    G.I. Combat
    Weird War Tales
    Doctor Strange
    Action / Superman
    Archie/Pep/Jughead/Life with Archie

And of course I have lots of random odds and ends as well, so feel free to send me a PM if you need something specific from another title. Or, of course, post your needs here.

And here's a link to download my checklist, which as literally thousands of comics on it: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108676143/C...0Checklist.doc

So, who wants to pay it forward with some more fun Classic Comic Exchanges?
    Last edited by Scott Harris; 11-26-2012 at 03:11 PM.