Hybrid View

Default The Hunger Games and Catching Fire

I read the Hunger Games 3 days ago and I thought it was awesome. Not sure how popular the series is but the first book was great. I like the twists and turns of the story and also the cliff hanger it leave you in. It also makes you think about the government's control over everything we see on the media and also the control they have over us in general. Also makes me think about people in dictator countries. But the story itself is awesome. I like how Katniss has to deal with the government issues and also life as a teenage girl which of course involves a love triangle.

I finished the second book, Catching Fire, yesterday. It left me again on another cliff hanger but the third book doesn't come out till later this month. So is anyone reading these books? I recommend them cuz i think they are action packed and full of drama. anyone got any theory's about what's gonna happen?

My younger sisters read this, you think its a good YA an adult can enjoy ?

After all it does have a SF setting.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    My younger sisters read this, you think its a good YA an adult can enjoy ?

After all it does have a SF setting.
    I think so cuz they are quick reads and provide a good story so even if you don't think its the best, you won't have wasted a bunch of time on it. But its better than let say, Twilight. It gives you more serious things to think about, not just which boy do you like more? The romance in the hunger games is secondary in comparison to the more serious issues that are primary in the story. Like the government's excessive control over the citizens, then being forced to kill each other in an arena for the governments entertainment, and also talks of a rebellion starting to form. Its all quite interesting.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

finally, i'm so glad i'm not the only one who read and loved these books

Interesting to see that there is not more talk about this book. I stumbled across this book by accident. I am half way through the first book. And while the book can be catorized as a Young Adult book, in that the book features teenagers and the protagonist is a teenage girl. I really think that the book is way more complex and sophisticated than that. While the author clearly borrows from various sources, 'Lord of The Flies, Battle Royale, 1984. Not to mention the Soviet Union. The whole story is set up in such a way that it all seems wholy original, because the author does such a great job at world building and describing this society. My reason for liking it is that it really comes across like a piece of speculative science fiction. What would happen if North America turned into a totalitarian regime after societal colapse. This has been done before, but not on this level of depth. The movie for the first book starts filming in next month. I really hope that the film makes cover the make up of the society and not just the exploits of the lead character.
    Last edited by Mia; 04-03-2011 at 03:10 PM.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

Fun books you'll read them pretty quick, but yeah not the most groundbreaking stuff, and by the end of the 3rd book my patience with Katniss was wearing thin...