Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

My brain hurts after reading all that in the OP's post. I'll just leave this here :

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post
    My brain hurts after reading all that in the OP's post. I'll just leave this here :

Nice, but a visual caught my eye. It's not often females are drawn showing the skeletal bone structure as seen on Val's side beneath her arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    Nice, but a visual caught my eye. It's not often females are drawn showing the skeletal bone structure as seen on Val's side beneath her arm.
    Mike McKone is a very talented artist. He and Geoff Johns relaunched the YJ crew as the Teen Titans.

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

She could do better than Sting, though. I mean, it's not like she'll be running into that many orcs, or that she'd need prior warning...

Wonder Woman handling a phallus is poetic actually.

But I wonder what do Amazons train with?Twigs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Well, I'm feeling pretty good about myself today, and we can't have that, so I thought I'd put this "essay" (for lack of a better word) that I wrote on my blog up here so people can tell me how much I suck for it. ...
    Wonder Woman still has great HAIR, and you suck, Kevenn. [LOL] Seriously, though...

I prefer Wondy as one-of-the-gods, than an avatar, champion or servant of the gods. She's truly her own woman now and probably hasn't been that, since the Diana Prince Era.

I also think uninspired editing on the WW comic really ruined the relevance of Paradise Island. It was originally created as a quirky, secret civilization or hidden world, inspired by the pulp adventure magazines. Marston NEVER intended it to be used as a regular setting, like Metropolis or Gotham City, ..and, frankly, I never liked it used that way. There was a time (pre-Crisis), when I'd thumb through a WW comic, looking for Paradise Island scenes, ..but, over the past twenty or so years, I've come to dread seeing every [EVERY!] story arc wind up on what I now call...

That damned island. Usually followed by, "...again!"

Trading up Paradise Island and the Amazons for a family of freaky gods is a breath of fresh air. For now. Furthermore, I'd trade I Ching and Etta Candy for Zola and Lennox (and I like Lennox), any day!

Wonder Woman accessorizing a sword doesn't bother me (since, she's always wound up using one, anyway) as much as the trivialization of the power of her lasso, Amazon training, mental radio and other cool things about Wondy. These days, it seems she just hacks or punches away at whatever obstacles fall into her path...

Wonder Woman: She-Hulk With A Sword?!

Did you actually kick off a thread demanding to be told you suck? And I thought I'd seen it all! Ha'ha! We have been working these boards wa-aay too long, babydoll.
    Last edited by MelDyer; 02-11-2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: more stuff
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

I kinda like the new ones that pop out of the bracers, which is nice, rather than the one which is just hanging on her leg with no scabbard for some reason. Is it attached there magnetically? Magically? Who knows. It's corny Jim Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    I kinda like the new ones that pop out of the bracers, which is nice, rather than the one which is just hanging on her leg with no scabbard for some reason. Is it attached there magnetically? Magically? Who knows. It's corny Jim Lee.
    I don't mind her accessorizing a sword as part of her regular arsenal, so long as it's fully and organically plugged into her mythos. I could even appreciate, if there was a story behind why or how she acquired the sword or swords, but would rather they didn't pop out of her bracers...like TOAST? It just seems to action-figurish for this character - bit too gadgety, I think. For Batman, it'd be fine, ..but not for Wondy.

Are two swords really necessary? Is she Wolverine, now?
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

BANNED

Mike McKone is a very talented artist. He and Geoff Johns relaunched the YJ crew as the Teen Titans.
    Reminded me, Michael Turner also did it with the cover for TT #1 (and in Superman/Batman, now that I remember it)

Quote Originally Posted by Self-DCeit View Post
    She could do better than Sting, though. I mean, it's not like she'll be running into that many orcs, or that she'd need prior warning...

Some send this to Bleeding Cool's Swipe File!

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    Wonder Woman accessorizing a sword doesn't bother me (since, she's always wound up using one, anyway) as much as the trivialization of the power of her lasso, Amazon training, mental radio and other cool things about Wondy. These days, it seems she just hacks or punches away at whatever obstacles fall into her path...
    I agree with this SO much. I think the way the lasso has been handled recently is just appalling. Bizarro broke it?! How did that story ever sound like it made sense? How often do we hear about the green lanterns rings as the most powerful weapons in the universe? There should be the same kind of reverence for Diana's weaponry.

I don't mind Diana using a sword. She is and should be shown as extremely skilled with any weapon. What I don't like is a sword substituting for all of the other glorious gifts she possesses. Carrying a sword by itself doesn't differentiate herself from the team. Wonder Woman being able to competently being able to challenge a foe in any form of armed or unarmed combat does. I think whenever Diana gears up it should place her on a whole new level. The kind of thing she would only need to do if she were fighting gods or beings far above her level. The lasso, bracers and tiara should be her primary weapons.

I also liked the other aspects of Diana's abilities that were highlighted in the past. The Eyes of Pallas making her resistant to mind control or illusions. Her resistance against magic also set her apart from the team.

And of course the most important aspect is her characterization. I think where maybe the writers are getting tripped up is the desire to portray her as a warrior. That term has become a cliche of swords and "bad assery." Portraying Diana as the great warrior she is doesn't mean she needs to be shown hacking and slashing her way through the DCU. For me, the traits I think are most important in a warrior are the discipline and dedication to train and be prepared in the event that you must go to battle. You should also know when those times are and to resort to fighting only as a last option. You show compassion where necessary but do not hesitate to make the tough decisions when what you are fighting for is in jeopardy.

That excites me at least.

What's the source of this, prithee?
    Dare you delve into... THE ARCHETYPAL ARCHIVE?

Why, it's... NATURALISTIC! UNCANNY! MARVELOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Gothos View Post
    What's the source of this, prithee?
    Avengers Academy #3 by Christos Gage and Mike McKone. It's a really solid series worth checking out. Although now Marvel thinks killing the entire gang off is the way to go.

I am good with Diana using a weapon such as a sword. But it will be nice that all her magical weapons other than the lasso shall morph from her tiara which already part of her mythos that it can cut even the hardest object. If Green Lantern has a ring, why not Wonder Woman with a tiara.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonPrincess View Post
    I am good with Diana using a weapon such as a sword. But it will be nice that all her magical weapons other than the lasso shall morph from her tiara which already part of her mythos that it can cut even the hardest object. If Green Lantern has a ring, why not Wonder Woman with a tiara.
    That might be down to DC trying to avoid another case of 'Batman can pull anything out of his belt pouches'. Added we don't know if the tiara can still be used as a weapon or if it is simply armor now.