Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: CCI: J. Michael Straczynski

Saturday afternoon at Comic-Con International, writer J. Michael Straczynski entertained a sizable crowd with anecdotes about his comic and film career, and a staged reading of "Wonder Woman" #601.

Full article here.

Just passing through... kevrhon's Avatar
    My body is in St. Louis, but my heart's in South Dakota

I'm a bit disappointed that my favorite of the books JMS is working on, Brave & the Bold, didn't even get a mention. It'd be nice to know that the title is secure, and he'll continue to write it. It would also be nice to have some idea what's coming up in B&B beyond what's in Previews for the next few issues.
    Isaac Jaffee [Robert Guillaume] from Sports Night: “If you're stupid, surround yourself with smart people. If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.”

Natalie Hurley [Sabrina Lloyd] also from Sports Night: "Allow for the possibility that from time to time other people are at least as smart as you are."

I always feel so much better about JMS' run every time I read an interview by him.

That's interesting that they have someone writing a WW movie, but like he said I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up since others have written WW scripts before (awful ones at that, thank god they were never made).
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Thumbs down

"Tim Gunn likes it."

Yeah... Well, Tim Gunn - who you know, is known for his knowledge of comics - is responsible for the hideous clothing that comes out of Liz Claiborne and isn't really known for mentoring greats in fashion either, so...

BANNED

Leni Riefenstahl not "Leni Reisenthel." Edit your article, CBR News.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by sharebear View Post
    "Tim Gunn likes it."

Yeah... Well, Tim Gunn - who you know, is known for his knowledge of comics - is responsible for the hideous clothing that comes out of Liz Claiborne and isn't really known for mentoring greats in fashion either, so...
    Tim Gunn's aesthetic is nothing to crow about. The man exudes stultifying minimalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Torpor View Post
    Tim Gunn's aesthetic is nothing to crow about. The man exudes stultifying minimalism.
    Have you seen the Liz Claiborne line lately?

“[Superman] was created as a hero of the Great Depression, the court of last resort for the average man,”
    YES. THIS.

There was one moment in #701 where JMS showed that he got this: Superman burning all the drug labs in the bad part of town with his heat vision. That is EXACTLY the sort of thing Jerry and Joe's Superman would have done in 1939.

Pity the rest of the issue was Superman making vapid speeches, but that one moment showed real potential.

Me, I'm an Arizona native and would love to see Superman pass through Arizona on his walk and stick Sheriff Joe in Tent City, but I know that'll never happen -- Superman's not allowed to take overt political stances like that anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    YES. THIS.

There was one moment in #701 where JMS showed that he got this: Superman burning all the drug labs in the bad part of town with his heat vision. That is EXACTLY the sort of thing Jerry and Joe's Superman would have done in 1939.

Pity the rest of the issue was Superman making vapid speeches, but that one moment showed real potential.

Me, I'm an Arizona native and would love to see Superman pass through Arizona on his walk and stick Sheriff Joe in Tent City, but I know that'll never happen -- Superman's not allowed to take overt political stances like that anymore.
    I don't think it's smart to send a little boy to threaten drug dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    I don't think it's smart to send a little boy to threaten drug dealers.
    Maybe not, but it hearkens back to a pretty common theme in comics and legends. IE, a big time hero enlisting the help of a kid. Without that recurring theme we wouldn't have Jimmy Olsen or Robin.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by pryde15 View Post
    Have you seen the Liz Claiborne line lately?
    I did like the plaids of the aw 2009/10 line - but the rest bored me to TEARS. I don't know if Gunn actually had a hand in that yet.

Is JMS trying to outdo Loeb in the Hollywood name-dropping contest? Sure seemed like that was the only thing which was 'impressive' about this presentation.

BANNED

How can you not like that guy and hope that he succeeds on Wonder Woman? That's not saying much cause I liked Gail too and it came back to bite me, but I feel he has a stronger grasp on the character. He has a definitive vision that could take her to the next level if we get behind him with our support.

Loves the ignore button jason_w's Avatar

I'm onboard for Superman and WW, but the best part about this panel was the announcement that "The Twelve" will finally be completed.

Donna Troy "will remain the same"?!?

What? They're going to have to rewrite her origin AGAIN with this change.

Ah... I'm sure this has been argued to death somewhere else already. Just that statement... how silly.