Page 128 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2160

Thread: Avatar: Korra

the demon king rules master of read's Avatar

i dont find her very annoying at all. she can be hard and blunt at times but thats just her character, same with how aang was childish and non confrontational.
    COCAINE IS MY GOD AND I AM THE LIVING INSTRUMENT OF ITS WILL!!
    snowflame, new guardians #2
    wanna make some quick cash?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusRex View Post
    Oh it's happening. And I predict that Bolin will be the Dark Avatar. I hope they never do it either because it's just so typical. Now if they do, which I think they will, I say Bolin because it would make things somewhat interesting. Everyone has something going for them. Bolin wants to be somebody and be somebody that matters. I have a feeling that this whole mover star thing is going to come crashing down on him once what Varrick is really up to is revealed, and he's going to be left feeling like crap. It's also possible that Korra doesn't become more likeable and fails as the Avatar. It would be the perfect opening for Vaatu to come in and bond with someone like Bolin who is likeable, but is at a low point personally, and would be open to what Vaatu has to offer.
    er... I would sooner expect Twilight Sparkle to show up and explain to Bolin the magical power of friendship than to see Vaatu offer to merge with Bolin and have him become the Dark Avatar.

wouldn't it be more likely to be Unalaq who has ALREADY shown an interest in controling dark spriits. Bolin has been shown to be afraid of ghosts and made uncomfortable by ghost stories-- so it seems kinda out of left field.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post

Also, generally speaking, I can't think of a single character or relationship in LoK who is as well-executed, believable, and (eventually) sympathetic as Zuko and Iroh. If anyone has any counter examples, I'd love to hear them. Zuko is arguably the best character in TLA, and nobody in LoK comes close in my opinion. Thoughts?
    Zuko is arguably one of the best characters in any animated series.
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

Hmmm so Raava bonded with the Avatar while Vatu remained in the spirit world????

Quote Originally Posted by DattaBoy View Post
    Hmmm so Raava bonded with the Avatar while Vatu remained in the spirit world????
    Locked in a tree for 10,000 years.

o

I don't think a dark (anti?) Avatar is going to happen, unless it's maybe Tenzin. Vaatu hasn't gone to any of the lionturtles so he doesn't have access to any of the elements. And it just doesn't feel like something Vaatu would do, I guess. I think Vaatu would view it as beneath him.

Quote Originally Posted by [Trigger] View Post
    Hmm, I can see your point. But I don't remember the show mentioning reincarnation for humans or what exactly happens when they die (maybe they did). Do they turn into spirits?
    I don't think it's ever been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    Perpetual rebirth is actually a bad thing in Buddhism. And who says they just rot? I imagine there's some kind of afterlife in the Avatar universe.
    I don't really know much about Buddhism, but I brought up only as a comparison rather than a direct relation, as in both believe in reincarnation to some extent, though we don't know how the believes and feelings towards it may differ from each other. And true they may have a more traditional afterlife, but I don't think it's ever been mentioned so it's only speculation. I tend towards only thinking of what's revealed in a setting as opposed to imagining something, hence unless someone mentions believe in an afterlife beyond reincarnation in the series I have no reason to believe such exists, hence until further information it's just reincarnate or rot. Though I admit that might be a tad silly in a world that features spirits, so...eh, who knows?

Plus Rava said she'd be with the Avatar for all of his/her lifetimes, so multiple lives/reincarnation must have been a known thing that happened, otherwise it'd probably have been a surprise for her. Which suggests other people have reincarnated. Until they mention a heaven or something for human spirits reincarnation is all we know of the afterlife in the series.

And if perpetual rebirth was a bad thing in Avatar-verse then it must really suck to be the Avatar. The Avatar has to reincarnate to keep the balance.

I have always liked the mystical/fantastical setting more than the modern backdrop of LoK.
    LoK isn't really a 'modern' setting. Not unless you consider say the 1920's and 30's modern, which I don't really. Radio, old timey planes and cars, no TV, no computers, I don't even think they have phones yet (which is seriously odd to go from radio to planes without phones being invented somewhere in between). It's not an ancient type setting any more, but it is still very much a sort of period piece.

Now if they make a sequel to Korra, then it'd probably more resemble our modern world.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 10-23-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    A lot of people get sentience confused for sapience. Your hamster is sentient, you are sapient. Intelligence is sapience.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    LoK isn't really a 'modern' setting. Not unless you consider say the 1920's and 30's modern, which I don't really. Radio, old timey planes and cars, no TV, no computers, I don't even think they have phones yet (which is seriously odd to go from radio to planes without phones being invented somewhere in between). It's not an ancient type setting any more, but it is still very much a sort of period piece.
    Well, compared to the entirety of history, anything post turn-of-the-(20th)-century is effectively pretty modern in regards to being identifiable, relatable, etc. Sure, 20s-30s doesn't have all of the modern communication tech and comforts, but generally IMO anything post-industrial revolution is recognizable enough from a modern perspective to take away some of the magic and effective of a far-off time and place. You can find some photos online of early 1900s New York, for example, and it looks strikingly similar to early 2000s New York in many ways. Compare those same early 1900s photos to anywhere oh, say, 400+ years ago, and that's more what I mean.

tl:dr I liked the ancient setting better.

Well, compared to the entirety of history, anything post turn-of-the-(20th)-century is effectively pretty modern in regards to being identifiable, relatable, etc. Sure, 20s-30s doesn't have all of the modern communication tech and comforts, but generally IMO anything post-industrial revolution is recognizable enough from a modern perspective to take away some of the magic and effective of a far-off time and place. You can find some photos online of early 1900s New York, for example, and it looks strikingly similar to early 2000s New York in many ways. Compare those same early 1900s photos to anywhere oh, say, 400+ years ago, and that's more what I mean.

tl:dr I liked the ancient setting better.
    Sure, compared to all of history yeah the roaring 20's is modern. Compared to the history of most people living, not so much. Even ancient settings had different periods. Compare the Roman Empire to the hunter gatherers of the neolithic era and the Romans are certainly a lot more 'modern'. Doesn't make them 'real modern' though. People in Victorian England wouldn't consider say Shakespeare's time as modern. Now, where 'modern' really begins is probably a matter of debate, but my rule of thumb is that modern times typically only lasts from 20 to 30 or maybe 40 years, so I'd consider the 90's/80's modern, but not the 50's. But this is really just a personal opinion. I don't really know if there's ever been a real attempt at establishing what separates modern from right before modern. For some like you it all starts with the industrial revolution, others probably go with the digital revolution, and then some like me like at it like blocks of time characterized by cultural events, so the 50's and 60's seem like very different time settings/periods to me.

Still, past 70 years is a stretch...
    A lot of people get sentience confused for sapience. Your hamster is sentient, you are sapient. Intelligence is sapience.

He probably means any period that heavily relies on technology. In the old series the Fire Kingdom was just getting into their metal ships, tanks and blimps.
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

Quote Originally Posted by [Trigger] View Post
    He probably means any period that heavily relies on technology. In the old series the Fire Kingdom was just getting into their metal ships, tanks and blimps.
    I knew what he meant, I was debating whether that's enough to qualify it as modern or not.

Oh, come on, dude. You obviously know what I mean. If you really want to split hairs, the modern era is considered to have started after the middle-ages, and the 20s-30s/20th century is frequently (though admittedly not universally) considered the start of a "modern" America which is what I'm going off of.. Anyway, I'm not interested in debating arbitrary semantics.

For my purposes, LoK looks a whole lot more like today than TLA did. People have government office buildings, police and modern detectives, freight liners, they drive cars, they have tazers, planes, mechs, remote detonators, "modern" tech. It looks like a contemporary-ish urban city. In TLA, the dude wheeled his cabbages around on a wooden cart, the architecture was traditional ancient temples, stone, etc. People walked around, and the tech was just beginning to approach steam. Frankly, I thought they used too much tech relative to the rest of the setting. TLA had an aura of "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away". LoK looks like my grandpa was walking around then.

I prefer the ancient, old-timey, pre-industrial setting.
    Last edited by ImpulseUCF; 10-23-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Though technically, the answer to "When did the modern era begin" is "nobody agrees." LOL. Whatever, all good.

Oh, come on, dude. You obviously know what I mean. If you really want to split hairs, the modern era is considered to have started after the middle-ages, and the 20s-30s/20th century is frequently (though admittedly not universally) considered the start of a "modern" America which is what I'm going off of.. Anyway, I'm not interested in debating arbitrary semantics.

For my purposes, LoK looks a whole lot more like today than TLA did. People have government office buildings, police and modern detectives, freight liners, they drive cars, they have tazers, planes, mechs, remote detonators, "modern" tech. It looks like a contemporary-ish urban city. In TLA, the dude wheeled his cabbages around on a wooden cart, the architecture was traditional ancient temples, stone, etc. People walked around, and the tech was just beginning to approach steam. Frankly, I thought they used too much tech relative to the rest of the setting. TLA had an aura of "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away". LoK looks like my grandpa was walking around then.

I prefer the ancient, old-timey, pre-industrial setting.
    Something that struck me as odd about Korra's time is that for the most part, the bending doesn't seem to be as martial-arts specific as it was in A:TLA. Waterbending = tai chi, earthbending = southern style kung fu, whereas now for the most part it looks like normal superheroic shenanigans. And at first I thought it was just the animation team slacking, but now I wonder if it's intentional; that the Avatar (being taught old-school) and the sages still use bending as meditation and reflection but the rest of the world has lost its touch with spirituality and approaches bending as just another tool, like a steam engine.

Not sure if that made sense to anyone else.

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Something that struck me as odd about Korra's time is that for the most part, the bending doesn't seem to be as martial-arts specific as it was in A:TLA. Waterbending = tai chi, earthbending = southern style kung fu, whereas now for the most part it looks like normal superheroic shenanigans. And at first I thought it was just the animation team slacking, but now I wonder if it's intentional; that the Avatar (being taught old-school) and the sages still use bending as meditation and reflection but the rest of the world has lost its touch with spirituality and approaches bending as just another tool, like a steam engine.

Not sure if that made sense to anyone else.
    It makes total sense if you ask me. It's probably also why bending-feats are generally somewhat less impressive in LoK than they were in TLA. Benders just aren't as good at the whole super-kung fu action stuff as they were in Aang's time.