Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Vertigo To Release Warren Ellis' "Shoot"

The canceled issue of "Hellblazer" focusing on school shootings by Warren Ellis and Phil Jimenez will finally see release in what the publisher is branding a "Vertigo Resurrected" line of issues formerly kept off the market.

Full article here.

i wonder if this will also mean the swamp thing meets jesus issues will be released
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by gryhpon View Post
    i wonder if this will also mean the swamp thing meets jesus issues will be released
    I was thinking the same thing. That would be great.

What else has been held back other than this and Shoot?

Crossing fingers for Preacher's one shot about the sex detectives.
    Dan DiDio RUINED Transformers Forever

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...scap2ar0-3.png

Space is disease and danger wrapped in silence and darkness.

CBR Person of Interest BlueThunderArmy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gcarbone View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. That would be great.
    First thing that came to my mind, as well. I'd take that as a good sign.

Very cool.

Though I'd have preferred a tpb collection of all the issues they're planning on releasing; along the lines of the "First Taste" trades they once did. But for more than $4.99, of course...

What was that about Liberty Comics and freedom of speech the other day? These are just examples of a publisher's cowardice to me. It's not like comics have a huge readership anyway so that should provide more freedom, what are they worried about dropping from 10,000 to 9,000 issues shipped? Things need to be discussed MORE while they're happening, not LESS.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

They're also reprinting Ellis's "Jack Cross," for some reason.

Maybe they're expecting his name to be be a bigger draw when Red comes out?
    Expletive Deleted

The Truth Hurts

Quote Originally Posted by gryhpon View Post
    Frankly, I'm only interested if this happens.

BANNED

I'll happily buy this. I've read it before, but it's worth having.

The Sex Detectives special never got past first draft, as far as I recall, and Jack Cross was never collected, so that makes sense.

I kinda hope Frank Quitely's Lobo special might slip out under this program.

It'll be good to have Shoot out there though, I've only read the uncoloured version that's knocking about online.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

"Shoot" may have been pulled because of its controversial subject, but upon reading it a few years ago I was glad it didn't see print. It condemns the kind of social development (or lack thereof) that leads to school shootings, which is good, but it also implies that the victims themselves are part of the whole problem... which is not good.

spoilers:

I honestly do not believe that if a security camera could zoom on the haggard face of the intended victims facing a gun, it would allow us to read the verb "shoot" on their lips. I found that part of the script very offensive in its unwarranted assumptions. Yeah, a few kids are pretty jaded nowadays... but surprise, surprise, most of them are brimming with life, creativity and projects and would definitely not be that apathetic in the face of death. Don't let the iPods and endless video games fool you.
    end of spoilers

But hey, I'm not a big Warren Ellis fan. Maybe his readers will enjoy this.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    "Shoot" may have been pulled because of its controversial subject, but upon reading it a few years ago I was glad it didn't see print. It condemns the kind of social development (or lack thereof) that leads to school shootings, which is good, but it also implies that the victims themselves are part of the whole problem... which is not good.

spoilers:

I honestly do not believe that if a security camera could zoom on the haggard face of the intended victims facing a gun, it would allow us to read the verb "shoot" on their lips. I found that part of the script very offensive in its unwarranted assumptions. Yeah, a few kids are pretty jaded nowadays... but surprise, surprise, most of them are brimming with life, creativity and projects and would definitely not be that apathetic in the face of death. Don't let the iPods and endless video games fool you.
    end of spoilers

But hey, I'm not a big Warren Ellis fan. Maybe his readers will enjoy this.
    That scene was stating certainly in that case the kid wanted it to actually happen but not that's a standard.

Its just a way that it could happen and Ellis was telling people/parents to be mindful of what's going on in their children's lives to help prevent things like that from happening.

Wow.

In the week or so DC has proven to me just how amazing it is with all their announcements, and now this to top it off.

Now I can stop reading the B&W scans online!

I wondering what exactly we're talking about here. Obviously, there is "Shoot" and Rick Veitch's ST story with Jesus, but what else might be out there?

There were rumors that Rick was working on finishing the Swamp Thing time travel story his way back when Army @ Love was being published, but all that we've seen from Rick recently is the recent issue of Unknown Soldier and the news that he's working on a stylistic (if not thematic) sequel to Can't Get No. Maybe there's more Veitch Swamp Thing?

A Gaiman-penned ST drawn by Mike Mignola appeared in Neil Gaiman's Midnight Stories-- perhaps there were more scripts by him and Jamie Delano to work off of?

Grant Morrison is mentioned. Will they risk republishing Flex Mentallo? How much of LeSexy with Cam Stewart was completed before Karen Berger shot it down? His brief Swamp Thing collaboration with Mark Millar?

Then there's books that never appeared like Dick Foreman's Rites of Alchemy. (Not that I see a lot of demand for something like that.)