View Poll Results: What do you think of Bachalo?

Voters
131. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Love his art

102 77.86%
  • Hate his art

22 16.79%
  • I hate YOU...

4 3.05%
  • Who's he? I'm confused...

3 2.29%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Chris Bachalo's Art: What do you think? (Answer to non JRJr's Art)

I love his art. It just seems so...I have no words to describe it. But I bet you guys do! I created this thread because a poster I heard from hates all the "What do you think of JR Jr's art?" threads.
    Thank god comic fans are such a tiny little percentage of the audience needed for a successful film because apparently we not only hate fucking everything, we're willing to even pre-hate things...

Senior Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

It's a definite improvement from his Gen X days (which I liked), but he had some quirky rough spots in the last few years. Loving his arcs on ASM...

love him in Generation X.

love him more in Spider-Man.

Firefly, still flying! DjMichael691's Avatar

He is great. He had a bad spell in Morrison's New X-Men, but even now I buy the stuff he's drawn just because he drew it. Case in point is Dark Reign: Sensational Spiderman.

IMHO opinion his greatest arc was when he draw for Carey's X-Men.
    You can't stop the signal.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I liked his NXM a great deal. In fact, I like everything I've ever seen from him. Except his Cap. But Bachalo is the man.

BANNED

One of the best artists working today, and also one of the artists I use to judge people's taste.

Destroying our values!!! Syrant's Avatar

I love his style. I'm sad to admit it, but I'm one of those type of people who, while I love the art in comic books, rarely can I point out an artist just by style. But I can easily for Chris. Any time he draws Spidey, he makes my week.

Loved his work on Sinister Spider-Man, even though in some panels it was hard to figure out what was going on
    1) The Manhattan Projects, 2) Superior Foes of Spider-Man, 3) Transformers MtMtE/RiD

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

those first few issues of Generation X were some of the best work i've ever had the pleasure of purchasing. the designs for Chamber, Penance, and Skin were just brilliant. then i dunno. maybe he slipped in the bathroom. but all of the Generation X characters suddenly looked like blocky dwarves.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

I always found him a bit busy on X-Men but when he works, it's brilliant art. Shed in ASM was the perfect place for his style and it completely blew my mind how good it read.

Love his work sometimes, hate his work sometimes...
    Daredevil, Hawkguy, Secret Avengers, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Magneto, Punisher, Wonder Woman, The Wake, Batman, Velvet, Jupiter's Legacy, Black Science,Starlight and Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerio View Post
    Love his work sometimes, hate his work sometimes...
    yeah, it's very character/book dependent ~ I thought Ultimate War was one of the ugliest books i've ever read (the script didn't help) but his ASM work is pretty ace.

I did like him more back on GenX when he was more of a "stylized Jim Lee" ~ sometimes now i think he gets a little too 'out there' for his own good at the expense of the story telling, but then sometimes he just nails it...

============ Just say "NO!" to $4 books. ============

I love it - he's probably one of my favorite artists. I just tend to really like artists who have a distinct style that sets them apart from the crowd. People like Deodato, JRJr, Bachalo, Ales Ross, LaFuente, etc are some of my favorites - even though they aren't all the most technically proficient artists like Ross is.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

I used to love Bachalo's art back in the Shade and Death days, but the last few years I think he's concentrated far too much on elaborate page designs that obscure his storytelling. I look at what Bucky has been doing on Fables in a similar style with much stronger storytelling, and I can't see why Bachalo gets so much more praise. The absolute nadir of Bachalo's ouvre was Steampunk where he was paired with Joe Kelly at his most inaccessable. I've heard that Chris' art has been a bit easier to follow in his recent X-Men and Spider-Man runs, but since I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done since the first few issues of Gen X, I haven't read them. (I have to say that Bachalo on Spider-Man does seem like a natural fit, though.)

And "hate" is a strong word. I dislike Bachalo's work.

Mountaineers Are Always FREE! Give me Liberty...

Default Bachalo is Superb!

I have liked his style from his X-Men days and continue to enjoy his dynamic style. He seems to me to be a mix of the late-and-sorely-missed Ringo with a bit of Ditko and Romita Sr thrown in for good measure. If he is drawing a book the odds of my purchasing said book jump exponentially. Just as if Brubaker or Jeff Parker is writing a book--said book is a more likely purchase.
    CaptainLiberty76

"The LESS some people know the MORE stubbornly they know it!"

"That which does not KILL us only serves to make us STRONGER!"