Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Marvel Announces Vampire Variants

Marvel has announced that October will feature vampire-themed variant covers throughout the month and has released looks at the undead takes on "New Avengers, "Invincible Iron Man," "Avengers Academy" and "Hulk."

Full article here.

The Avengers Academy one looks great, but is this really necessary? Are vampires vs the Marvel universe gonna be the next major crossover next year?
    High Violet

Yay!!! MORE VARIANTS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by john_mars View Post
    The Avengers Academy one looks great, but is this really necessary? Are vampires vs the Marvel universe gonna be the next major crossover next year?
    Honestly, I think they're just doing it cause it's kind of funny.

No, he's right.

according to marvel, after x-men, vampires are spreading out (avengers next), marvel is organizing the vampire sect of the universe. It's a good time to be a blade fan (who may have worked himself a spot on the new x-force)

Hulk and Ironman's ones are funny; the one with Luke Cage and his family is kind of creepy
    Onward, to futility!

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

Nice looking covers, but, really, I can't be the ONLY person who is so frikkin' sick of vampires right now. I mean, honestly, it seems they're popping up everywhere lately!

Talking lol

Quote Originally Posted by charlesjbaserap View Post
    Nice looking covers, but, really, I can't be the ONLY person who is so frikkin' sick of vampires right now. I mean, honestly, it seems they're popping up everywhere lately!
    That's how I felt about Zombies variants a couple years ago. The vamp stuff is much more interesting, fun, and humorous to me.

I'm loving all of these honestly I want some posters of the Ross Hulk and Ironman covers.
    Last edited by toneloak; 07-02-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: madness
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Stories are not science experiments predicable outcomes are not the payoffs.

Are you sick of vampires or vampires done wrong? Ahhhh...

Stuff like Twilight, Vampire Diaries, The Gate, and even Underworld give a bad name to a horror movie staple. Vampres aren't sexy underwear models. They're not deep thinking emo boys. They don't twinkle in sunlight. Vampires are monstrous, brutal killers that represent all that is unholy.

In part, I blame the perpetually awesome Buffy. While most of the vamps were what they should be, Angel & Spike were dark, broody pretty boys. Remove Buffy's supporting cast and well written drama from the equation and you're left with the hollow & empty garbage of Twilight. Buffy, removed of its heart and penchant for actual horror is where vampire stuff stands today.

I'm not sick of vampires. I'm just sick of vampires that don't resemble the vicious blood suckers of genre classics like Near Dark, Lost Boys, Nosferatu, or Blade. Even Interview with the Vampire, with its poofy protagonists, is still more worthy of the vamp label. Nobody's done vamp movie right in the 7 years since Buffy left the air. That's my problem. It's all targeted at horny teen girls atm.

The genre needs to get back to basics. It's not tired. Just broken - lost its way even.

As for these covers.... I'm with Hulk. Looks like a scary-assed Bela Lugosi. Given Ross' current look, that's a laugh riot.
    Last edited by cookepuss; 07-02-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toneloak View Post
    That's how I felt about Zombies variants a couple years ago. The vamp stuff is much more interesting, fun, and humorous to me.

I'm loving all of these honestly I want some posters of the Ross Hulk and Ironman covers.
    Is that what people are calling Red Hulk now?

A few years ago I was all over vampires, but I grew older and moved on. With the whole teen vampire craze going on, I'm glad I'm over it.

But if done right, this whole Vampires Vs. Marvel Universe thing could be great. Having read the Death Of Dracula one shot, the idea is there. I thought that the gathering of the various vampire sects to slowly take over the world was a great idea. I wasn't too fond of the writing, though.
    High Violet

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post

Stuff like Twilight, Vampire Diaries, The Gate, and even Underworld give a bad name to a horror movie staple. Vampres aren't sexy underwear models. They're not deep thinking emo boys. They don't twinkle in sunlight. Vampires are monstrous, brutal killers that represent all that is unholy.

In part, I blame the perpetually awesome Buffy. While most of the vamps were what they should be, Angel & Spike were dark, broody pretty boys. Remove Buffy's supporting cast and well written drama from the equation and you're left with the hollow & empty garbage of Twilight. Buffy, removed of its heart and penchant for actual horror is where vampire stuff stands today.

I'm not sick of vampires. I'm just sick of vampires that don't resemble the vicious blood suckers of genre classics like Near Dark, Lost Boys, Nosferatu, or Blade. Even Interview with the Vampire, with its poofy protagonists, is still more worthy of the vamp label. Nobody's done vamp movie right in the 7 years since Buffy left the air. That's my problem. It's all targeted at horny teen girls atm.

The genre needs to get back to basics. It's not tired. Just broken - lost its way even.

As for these covers.... I'm with Hulk. Looks like a scary-assed Bela Lugosi.
    Why can't vampires be sexy underwear models, deep thinking emo boys, or sparkle in the sun? If every show/book/comic/film tried to copy the movies you mentioned, THEN the vampire concept would be extremely boring and stale.

Vampires done RIGHT is taking an old concept and creating something both original and well-crafted. Twilight...not original or well done (books like the Vampire Diaries came first). True Blood...taking an original concept from a medicore series of books, and turning it into something great. New Marvel Vampires..? We'll see..

I'm not suggesting that future movie emulate the older classics or that they can't be good looking. Even Dracula had his seductive brides. What I am saying, in essence, is that vampires are horror movie antagonists They're not really best suited to protagonist roles, especially being love interests in chick flicks or dramedies marketed to teen girls or bored housewives. (The old General Hospital spinoff Port Charles even had a year long vamp story some years ago.)

Vampres are born of a certain genre and should pretty much stay there, with certain exceptions. I doubt that they'd fare well in a procedural medical drama. :)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post

As for these covers.... I'm with Hulk. Looks like a scary-assed Bela Lugosi. Given Ross' current look, that's a laugh riot.

Underworld is fine in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    Underworld is fine in my opinion.
    I was sort of reluctant to put Underworld in there. I only did simply because the key elements to both vamps or werewolves took somewhat of a backseat to the Beckingsale/Speedman thing. The elements were there, but toned down to varying degrees. (Lycans fared far better in their portrayal than vamps.) I never really felt that she was much more than a really big badass. I did like the move though. 2nd not so much. 3rd, not too shabby, even with a change in leads.

HAHA! This is the first time i like a Red Hulk Variant.
    The Luke Cage one................ just makes him look like Blade.
    OOOOOOOOH!!!!