Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: JMS Recreates "Wonder Woman"

Debuting today in her milestone 600th issue, Wonder Woman gets a new Jim Lee-designed costume, a new mission and a new world in the reality-altering storyline which writer J. Michael Straczynski tells CBR about in detail.

Full article here.

Did anyone at DC bother to look at any of Jim Lee's other original costume designs before giving him Wonder Woman to re-create?

Still, lose the jacket and make the leggings blue, and you've got a decent update. But seriously, lose the jacket. The 90's are long over.

BANNED

Thank you CBR News. Truly, you are a role model to us all.

Wow, I didn't think I'd be saying this, but this sounds incredible. That costume redesign is just what the doctor ordered. Think I might have to at least give JMS' run a shot.

JMS' run on "Wonder Woman" begins today
    ...it's Tuesday.

Elder Member

As someone who's never given a rat' ass about Wonder Woman, I have to say this has piqued my interest, if only on a voyeuristic level. I have to say, JMS hit the nail on the head when he talked about the character being buried under the weight of her own history. She's long overdue for the Man of Steel/Year one treatment.

THe costume is rather blah, but considering some of the stuff Lee's come up with in the past, it could be worse.

I've very curious as to what, exactly, he means by the repeated references to "an urban environment."
    Last edited by kalorama; 06-29-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Generally when a character has a costume for over 60 years there is a damn good reason. I think the Matrix comparison was almost laughable.. The chick in that movie looked like a man and didn't have any sexy features about her..

ShaunN

Well, I'm going to reserve judgment on all of this until I give it a fair shot. The risk of so completely uprooting the character, of course, is that you will lose the established fanbase. But I'm hopeful that JMS will gradually bring back some of the things that really appeal to me about the character - first and foremost, her relationship with her mother.

If I read this correctly, he does plan to eventually re-establish the character's established history, but do so in a way that enables him to retain aspects of the character he develops in this reboot. Or, at least, I hope so.

At any rate, JMS is a great writer, so I'll give this a fair try. If it gets too painful to read, though, I will drop it.

Ugh...that sound you hear off in the distance would be me, banging my head repeatedly against a cement wall as I drink in the blood and tears running down my face.

The costume's not horrible, but come on. This is frikkin Messner-Leobs all the hell over again. RADICAL REVAMP! URBAN SETTING! NEW FOES! DIANA DEPOWERED! In a goddamn LEATHER JACKET!

And this is right on the heels of the iconic #600 which apparently is supposed to be all about showing how awesome the iconic WW mythology has been over the last twenty years. Going from those epic covers from Jimenez and Scott to...this, right here? This longtime WW fan says: ugh.

wear my sunglasses@night Constantine Drakon's Avatar

I omniloathe this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Source
    Along the way, she will face a range of enemies — human and otherwise — who we have not seen before.
    And I'm sure they'll be as memorable as Genocide, The Shattered God, Sebastian Ballesteros, Devastation, Dark Angel, White Magician, Veronica Cale, and all those other villains that were a big deal for one WW writer's run and then were never seen in the book again (except to die, in Sebastian's case).
    My avatar showing I think the DCU is becoming less diverse is under review, and moderation has been very kind in this matter.

I'm a little disappointed that JMS seems intent on using mainly Greek mythology-inspired villains rather than the typical superhero antagonists. I'll be so sad if there's no Cheetah, Giganta, Angle Man, etc.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

J Michael Stracysnki: "Hi, I'm J. Michael Stracynski. I ruined Spider-man. Who is next?"

I'm not that big on the costume (Or Jim Lee's designs in general), but it at least feels slightly like Strider's gear in Lord of the Rings. Something you could add to and take away from depending on the needs at the time. And I have this weird suspicion that it will look better in Don Kramer's hands.

Still ... and I realize it may be going to the same well one too many times ... I'd have probably asked Alex Ross to redesign the costume. The new Batwoman ... the new Superwoman ... the new Nightwing and Flamebird ... and a zillion others ... the guy just has a knack for designs that are so simple you can't believe they've never been used before. And even if they're a little over-simple, and over-spandex, then guys like J.H. Williams come along and do a quick pass over on them to make them more like gear, and voila ... an icon is born.

Too early for "Wonder Woman: Brand New Day" jokes?

I'll give it a shot. It's not as if they're truly throwing the years of continuity of Paradise Island existing, and even recent things like Superboy visiting there or Supergirl learning from Wonder Woman there ... in comics, the "change" to the new "history" is instantaneous and affects everybody and just means stories going forward have to reflect it, but going backwards don't. And once Wonder Woman repairs it, it'll be back anyway.

You see it in sci-fi all the time. The "timeline change" and then the heroic sacrifice of the main character to repair the timeline. Star Trek, particularly, excels with it. It'll be neat to see that angle played out through Wonder Woman, of all people.

I totally got a "biker years Wondie" vibe from the jacket.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

If Wonder Woman has to change her costume, why can't Superman?? they're equally iconic and WW always looked good with that, while Superman is still wearing underwear outside his pants.

Another thing I'm mildly curious about.

Wonder Woman's history has spun off elsewhere ... how does this affect Donna Troy in JLA, or Cassie Sandsmark in Teen Titans, or Artemis wherever Gail wants to use her?

Is it like Electric Superman or something? Those writers just go along until the timeline is repaired? (I presume it must be.)
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com