Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: When Words Collide - Jun 28, 2010

With the year half over, Tim considers the question of whether or not 2010 has been a good year for comics up until this point, and in the process ends up exploring his own Best of the Year So Far list.

Full article here.

While overall a very good list, the lack of the inclusion of Lemire's Sweettooth makes me sad.

Haven't read SHIELD or the Spider-Man book yet but the rest are all brilliant. Anyone who won't read a PunisherMax book not written by Ennis are missing out big time! Agree on Sweettooth and I would have considered BPRD: King of Fear as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shogan View Post
    Haven't read SHIELD or the Spider-Man book yet but the rest are all brilliant. Anyone who won't read a PunisherMax book not written by Ennis are missing out big time! Agree on Sweettooth and I would have considered BPRD: King of Fear as well.
    Fever is worth it for the incredible art alone. This was my first experience with the artist, now I want to find his issue of "Solo."

Any other recommendations of work from Brendan McCarthy, you lovely CBR folk?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bir View Post
    Fever is worth it for the incredible art alone. This was my first experience with the artist, now I want to find his issue of "Solo."

Any other recommendations of work from Brendan McCarthy, you lovely CBR folk?
    His issue of Solo is probably the easiest thing to track down.

Skin with Peter Milligan is tough reading, but a really poignant story.

If you find a copy of his art book Swimini Purpose, snatch it up in a heartbeat.

So far, it hasn't been a bad year. I think Morrison has been cooking on Batman, but really, if Franky Q ain't drawing it, then the other guys look good, but not GREAT!

Personally, I'm not a big Vertigo fan, Scalped excepted. Tear me another, but the art in Vertigo comics doesn't get me too excited. It's all about the scripts, I suppose.

Seconded on the Brendan Mccarthy FEVER comic. I've never seen anything like it... It got me checking out that Marvel Essentials collection of the Steve Ditko run. Wow.

I saw his SOLO book some years ago, but didn't buy it... I know, I'm an idiot. But now I'm on a mission to get all his stuff. There's a DC Shade I picked up last week, a one-off that he drew, from about 20 years ago. Freaky-deaky!

Why doesn't McCarthy do a Dr. Strange series?

Cool

hey tim! Good (Saturday) Morning,

Once again...I'm gonna lump Grant's 2010 "Batman" into one lump "title". I've been stalled in recession-inspired lack of new funnybooks.
    The things I've missed in the past two-three months. A few issues of "Return of Bruce". #700 which I MUST GET! And of course the joyride of "Batman & Robin" which I think I'm only an issue or two behind on.

Joe the Barbarian is already 6 issues deep? Where the frak have I been? this flew so under my radar!

POWERS, Vol. 3. I feel I'm the type of reader that follows Creators over Properties. So my Bendis this year has been Hit (Powers, Ultimate Spidey) or Miss (Siege #4). POWERS still would be the One Funnybook I'd Give To Someone Who Hates Funnybooks.

I'm a Warren Ellis fan so for 2010 so far I nominate SUPERGOD and CAPTAIN SWING both on Avatar. Ellis' new ASTONISHING X-MEN mini with Kaare Andrews I'm picking up on too. But to "call it" 2 issues in of SWING versus 2 issues of AXM?...SWING? Ultra-Violent. I like the art. I like the steampunky-ness to it.
    I like the freedom Ellis has outside the Properties of MARVEL. In MARVEL sometimes we get NEXTWAVE, then on the other hand we get "newuniversal"**. SUPERGOD I'm looking forward to the last 2 issues. It's Standard Ellis Storytelling but "The Superhuman Trilogy on Avatar" by Ellis has been a Big Draw for me. I'm just a big fan of my IntrePoop Uncle Warren. I know they're both minis but its still 2010 and I'm still looking forward to their next issues. ^_~

Here's a few titles that I've put down! I'm into reading & spending money on print publications, supporting my Local FunnyBook Bodega but I think I need to read something else...I've hit the DC Multiverse Source Wall so-to-speak...

THE FLASH. I love Johns & Manipul but what's the point. I love FLASH stories. I have an huge encyclopedic mind about the Scarlet Speedster. But I'm not feeling it. FLASH: REBIRTH...was it a Let-Down or do I simply need a re-read or two? I can always come back to it but my gut says "superfluous".

BRIGHTEST DAY. I'll admit it. I have Lantern Corp Hangover. I have all the tees. All the rings. I had the best time reading BLACKEST NIGHT sequentially, with reveals & anticipation. But now its over. I got Brightest Day #0 and #1 but then...recession-induced foregoing of New FunnyBook Day happeneda few times. I'll spend money but I am a fan who was dialed in since INFINITE CRISIS. I got FIFTY-TWO (yay!), I got COUNTDOWN (yuk!), and I did not bite for TRINITY (yay!). I got a little space left in my DC CRISIS Longbox and I think I'll go get other things such as the CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTH trades or DC COMICS PRESENTS #87 (Crisis Wave Takes Earth-Prime, Superboy-Prime's origin).

ADVENTURE COMICS. Jeez, Tim. We both extolled the Geoff Johns/Francis Manpul run then...then...I mean I am wickid interested in seeing a new Superboy & Legion stories like the ones I read when I was a kid in the "Bronze Age". But I think the Lightning Saga was already bottled. But readers are needed to support these titles. I should be just picking them up to make sure we get the stories for which we clamor. I've avoided LEGION OF SUPERHEROES #1 & 2 so far as well. Sometimes it comes down to what's in my hand that day and how much money I can spend.

crea shaakti.
    Rev Sully

Eric O'Sullivan
    Boston, MA USA

**In Warren's Defense for NEWUNIVERSAL, I just read today, following links from his post yesterday...
    * warrenellis
    * CommentTime Oct 20th 2009
    My backups all got corrupted, and my backup device died. I'll fix that on Sunday, I thought, as I was under deadline pressure. Saturday evening, my main machine died in flames. Sent it off for data recovery. The guy running the data recovery shop took it in and then went off to Europe for an operation. And died on the operating table. Came back to the shop to get my machine, because no-one was answering the phone, to find it boarded up, the (mostly off-the-books, apparently) employees scattered to the four winds, and the shop stripped down to the plaster. Not a computer left in there -- not even mine.

(and no-one could do anything with the (frakked) backup discs, either.)

Fact or Fiction...reading Warren's a bit like Gonzo Journalism...but I'll take his word on this one.
    Last edited by rev sully; 07-06-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: better!!!

"He who knows best knows how little he knows" -Thomas Jefferson