Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 170
  1. #1

    Default Emma > Jean Grey?? (XM:FC Movie Related)

    I tried searching for any relevant threads, but came up empty. I found this little tidbit of info on RottenTomatoes that really got my nerd genes ramped up. At this point, this may be premature...but is Fox really going to have Emma > Jean in X-Men First Class?

    Now obviously, this could clearly be the case of Emma being sort of a triangle villanous trying to capture Cyclops from the grasps of Jean Grey...but I have a sinking feeling that Fox (God...when does the rights go back to Marvel) will use the Wolverine movie as the foundation of XM:FC.

    I hope in some sort of way Fox does not intend to bastardize the X franchise anymore...I feel Fox in a way damaged the reputation of the X brand a great deal and Marvel really needs to do something (use Disney to buy back the rights?) I mean, Deadpool is about to be massacred again by Fox...I'm sure the Wolverine sequel will destroy one of comics most fabled gems of a storyline (original Wolverine mini-series).

    Anyways thoughts on this (early) development? Emma > Jean...is Fox that brave?

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,089

    Default

    Emma has a more interesting look than Jean ever did. That's why Jean has only ever "worked" -- we're talking mainstream media, here -- as "Phoenix." Cause it's like wtf is jean grey?

    Emma Frost, though? Turns to diamond, reads minds, and curb stomps a bitch while sippin on some drink. She's more marketable, plain and simple.

    Until Jean gets a good writer to fix her broken ass, she's screwed. Morrison totally trolled her and her fans too. He writes the best Jean in years only to fuck her over again with his own Phoenix Operatic, knowing full and well that he'd have to kill her afterwards and that no writer in the next ten years would come around and write the character as well as he did.

    Such a troll. Love him.

    And he's the one who pointed out just how much easier it is to sell Emma Frost. lol What an asshole.

  3. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    Emma has a more interesting look than Jean ever did. That's why Jean has only ever "worked" -- we're talking mainstream media, here -- as "Phoenix." Cause it's like wtf is jean grey?

    Emma Frost, though? Turns to diamond, reads minds, and curb stomps a bitch while sippin on some drink. She's more marketable, plain and simple.

    Until Jean gets a good writer to fix her broken ass, she's screwed. Morrison totally trolled her and her fans too. He writes the best Jean in years only to fuck her over again with his own Phoenix Operatic, knowing full and well that he'd have to kill her afterwards and that no writer in the next ten years would come around and write the character as well as he did.

    Such a troll. Love him.

    And he's the one who pointed out just how much easier it is to sell Emma Frost. lol What an asshole.
    Oh stop beating around the bush.

    The comics are written and drawn by horny nerds and Emma Frost is described as a hot blond character that wears lingerie to the battlefield and sleeps with married guys. That's why she's in the books.

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by long live jean grey View Post
    Oh stop beating around the bush.

    The comics are written and drawn by horny nerds and Emma Frost is described as a hot blond character that wears lingerie and sleeps with married guys. That's why she's in the books.


    As for the rest of us who aren't turned on by comic books, Jean Grey is one of the most recognizable and marketable Marvel characters.
    No, but that's the beauty of Emma's character. If she were just what you described, then she'd be Psylocke. Except even Psylocke had to have purple hair and an azn body to be a walking nerdgasm.

    Emma's beauty is in the irony of the character.

    Jean is just boring unless she's on on of her phoenix/PMS character tirades or being written by someone who cares enough about her but isn't claremont (which she never is).

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    No, but that's the beauty of Emma's character. If she were just what you described, then she'd be Psylocke. Except even Psylocke had to have purple hair and an azn body to be a walking nerdgasm.

    Emma's beauty is in the irony of the character.

    Jean is just boring unless she's on on of her phoenix/PMS character tirades or being written by someone who cares enough about her but isn't claremont (which she never is).
    Nonsense.

    Jean's marketable. They teased her return in order to sell the early parts of this silly messiah story we're stuck in.

    The only reason she's not in the books is because the top editor at Marvel has some weird anti-hardon for redheads.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    No, but that's the beauty of Emma's character. If she were just what you described, then she'd be Psylocke. Except even Psylocke had to have purple hair and an azn body to be a walking nerdgasm.

    Emma's beauty is in the irony of the character.

    Jean is just boring unless she's on on of her phoenix/PMS character tirades or being written by someone who cares enough about her but isn't claremont (which she never is).
    I find Emma a bit more boring than Jean and more one-dimensional...kind of jarring saying Emma is more one-dimensional than Jean...

    But I always felt Jean was the glue that held the X-Men together...the motherly figure (to an extent) that kept them like a family. Wanting the psy-fuck Wolverine kept her interesting (in a Desperate Housewives way) and more human...makes her fallible...

    Emma is nothing more than a fanboy's wetdream of a character...a cheap blonde whore who has as much personality as a card board cutout...eh...maybe I just don't get the irony of the character. I just find her boring...and its worse that Fraction re-inforced the innate boreness of the character

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    No, but that's the beauty of Emma's character. If she were just what you described, then she'd be Psylocke. Except even Psylocke had to have purple hair and an azn body to be a walking nerdgasm.

    Emma's beauty is in the irony of the character.

    Jean is just boring unless she's on on of her phoenix/PMS character tirades or being written by someone who cares enough about her but isn't claremont (which she never is).
    I think your understanding of Jean Grey is a bit...limited.

    You seem to be under the impression that only a bitchy, ironic character like Emma can be interesting. But something can be said for the relatable character as well. Jean is a relatable character. She is heroic, intelligent, caring and strong but still gets pissed as all hell at appropriate (and sometimes inappropriate) times. This makes her a character to root for.

    Simonson did a strong and relatable Jean Grey. And Claremont's Jean always shines - well at least until his most recent ridiculous foray with Forever. Seagle and Kelly's Jean was awesome sauce and Morrison's Jean was fantastic. Portacio/Lee/Byrne's Jean kind of sucked (which influenced her terrible misrepresentation in the cartoon) but that's about it.

    It's not like Emma is always interesting: Fraction's Emma is far less interesting than the worst portrayal of Jean Grey.
    It's already been decided that [slung's] teh secks~Flâneur
    You are cool* *paraphrased~Optic Rage
    Slung made me like Jean Grey again!~Giles
    I like Slung~RafiShai
    P.S. I like Slung~frog
    I appreciate Slung~Swashbuckler
    I <3 Slung & our future times of eating ice cream~RG
    slug(?) is aight~S_G
    I APPROVE of slung-we have the same name~Yoshi
    Oplz. I like, *invented* Slung~Mikl
    I <3 Slung~pryde15
    I did Slung~jarrod
    Slung is a chiseled Adonis with a 14" wang~$5 Milkshake

  8. #8
    Ahem. DevilishRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your swashbuckler soul.
    Posts
    7,792

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post
    I tried searching for any relevant threads, but came up empty. I found this little tidbit of info on RottenTomatoes that really got my nerd genes ramped up. At this point, this may be premature...but is Fox really going to have Emma > Jean in X-Men First Class?



    Anyways thoughts on this (early) development? Emma > Jean...is Fox that brave?
    I'm sure it must be just a rumor... but if they do you can bet that movie won't get a dime from me. Anymore than 'Wolverine Origins' did.

    And no I don't have to be a huge Jean fan to see this. There screwing up the original story for the current it girl. The worst book adaptation would not compare to this offense. Maybe that's the problem... it's just a comic and they see it as a way of improving such a medium.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Slant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,789

    Default

    Quite honestly I wouldn't mind.

    The more they deviate the better chance I'll consider watching it.

  10. #10
    french & pretentious franckd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slung View Post
    I think your understanding of Jean Grey is a bit...limited.

    You seem to be under the impression that only a bitchy, ironic character like Emma can be interesting. But something can be said for the relatable character as well. Jean is a relatable character. She is heroic, intelligent, caring and strong but still gets pissed as all hell at appropriate (and sometimes inappropriate) times. This makes her a character to root for.

    Simonson did a strong and relatable Jean Grey. And Claremont's Jean always shines - well at least until his most recent ridiculous foray with Forever. Seagle and Kelly's Jean was awesome sauce and Morrison's Jean was fantastic. Portacio/Lee/Byrne's Jean kind of sucked (which influenced her terrible misrepresentation in the cartoon) but that's about it.

    It's not like Emma is always interesting: Fraction's Emma is far less interesting than the worst portrayal of Jean Grey.
    Yep. I agree with most of what you say. You know Jean. And you see her like I do.
    Brevoort about Jean : "Popularity and conversation on internet message boards doesn't equate to sales." Really ? X-Men Origins Sales : Cyclops - 19,049. Emma Frost - 20,093. Jean Grey - 28,596

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Quite honestly I wouldn't mind.

    The more they deviate the better chance I'll consider watching it.
    Heresy!!!

    The more Fox deviates from the core of the characters...the more Marvel will be unable to right the wrongs of this fucking studio...

    A Deadpool that can't talk...

  12. #12
    Veteran Member AdamYJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Latham, NY
    Posts
    7,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slung View Post
    I think your understanding of Jean Grey is a bit...limited.

    You seem to be under the impression that only a bitchy, ironic character like Emma can be interesting. But something can be said for the relatable character as well. Jean is a relatable character. She is heroic, intelligent, caring and strong but still gets pissed as all hell at appropriate (and sometimes inappropriate) times. This makes her a character to root for.

    Simonson did a strong and relatable Jean Grey. And Claremont's Jean always shines - well at least until his most recent ridiculous foray with Forever. Seagle and Kelly's Jean was awesome sauce and Morrison's Jean was fantastic. Portacio/Lee/Byrne's Jean kind of sucked (which influenced her terrible misrepresentation in the cartoon) but that's about it.

    It's not like Emma is always interesting: Fraction's Emma is far less interesting than the worst portrayal of Jean Grey.
    Jeff Parker also did a fairly good turn with a young Jean in X-Men: First Class.

  13. #13
    Veteran Member Slant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post
    Heresy!!!

    The more Fox deviates from the core of the characters...the more Marvel will be unable to right the wrongs of this fucking studio...

    A Deadpool that can't talk...
    After 4 movies the continuity is its own.

    I say go crazy with it. If I was looking for comic stories and lineups I would read the comics.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    After 4 movies the continuity is its own.

    I say go crazy with it. If I was looking for comic stories and lineups I would read the comics.
    They already have a continuity: Jean Grey is part of the original lineup in MOVIE continuity.

    But I wish they'd just completely reboot the franchise.

    And if you want to see movie Emma in her red sweatsuit and her generically uninteresting personality, more power to you.
    It's already been decided that [slung's] teh secks~Flâneur
    You are cool* *paraphrased~Optic Rage
    Slung made me like Jean Grey again!~Giles
    I like Slung~RafiShai
    P.S. I like Slung~frog
    I appreciate Slung~Swashbuckler
    I <3 Slung & our future times of eating ice cream~RG
    slug(?) is aight~S_G
    I APPROVE of slung-we have the same name~Yoshi
    Oplz. I like, *invented* Slung~Mikl
    I <3 Slung~pryde15
    I did Slung~jarrod
    Slung is a chiseled Adonis with a 14" wang~$5 Milkshake

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    389

    Default

    All there is to Emma is sex. If you read Uncanny, she's not even bitchy or snarky anymore.

    Just hot, blonde, arm-candy to show how awesome Cyclops is.

    I don't even like the character much to begin with, but Fraction makes her even more pointless.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •