Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Controversial Anime/Manga opinions.

What are your controversial Anime or Manga related opinions?

I don't watch as much anime as I used too and the animes that I currently watch are either short, light hearted comedies, the occacional detective conan and Monster, but I'm sure we can get some real controversy about shows like Death Note, Naruto One Piece etc.

So let's Begin. Since I was somewhat active in the Death Note fandom, I know that this are controversial.

1. Sherlock Holmes would have cracked the Kira case wide open by Volume 2.

2. Light was a disgusting human being and some of his fangirl's arguments are disturbingly similar to Ted Bundy's Fan mail.

3. L should haved won, not Light. not Near. Not Mello. Just L.

4. That said, he did make some rather dumb mistakes, such as revealing that he wasn't Lind L. Tailor to Kira just to gloat. He would have had an advantage over Kira as a ''ghost''. That doesn't take away the fact that his big reveal during his introduction was way cool.

4. The L's Successors arc is inhumanely boring.

5. Near has got to be the most boring character in that series. He is L without the charm.

6. Even though the Anime adapts the Manga more faithfully, I think that the Movies are better. It's not just because they did away with the second arc but because the episodes of the anime are too damn short, they spend twenty minutes talking about what's about to happen, then for three minutes that happens and then ''To Be Continued''.
    This happens in the manga too, but it isn't as bad because a) If one reads comics, one get's used to this type of thing, it comes with the medium and b) Since they come in TPBs, you hardly feel it anyway.

7. There is absolutely nothing but Contemptful respect between Light and L. They are not friends and they are not secret lovers. This shouldn't be controversial, what with it being official and all, but shippers will ship.

8. Jimmy Kudo would still be trying to figure the Kira case out by volume 57.

And here is one for Detective Conan.

TOO. DAMN. LONG. I wouldn't mind if there had been any type of substantial advance in the storyline after almost 16 years, like him finding a cure to the poison and being a Teenage Detective for the remaining of the series or something! Anything other than another BlackOrg arc with the only lasting effect being the introduction of a new character that will appear or be mentioned every now and then. It's a big elephant in the room that doesn't allow me to fully enjoy the series.

And I liked The Fullmetal Alchemist Anime better than the Manga.
    Last edited by Vidocq; 06-20-2010 at 02:12 AM.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Tentacle Hentai is funny as hell.
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    So let's Begin. Since I was somewhat active in the Death Note fandom, I know that this are controversial.
    I'm generally not a fan of controversy cause it brings my mood down, but what the heck you only live once!
    1. Sherlock Holmes would have cracked the Kira wide case open by Volume 2.
    Uh...... maybe.
    2. Light was a discusting human being and some of his fangirl's arguments are disturbingly similar to Ted Bundy's Fan mail.
    Well, Ted Bundy was real so, lets not......... do that.
    3. L should haved won, not Light. not Near. Not Mello. Just L.
    I agree 100%.
    4. That said, he did make some rather dumb mistakes, such as revealing that he wasn't Lind L. Tailor to Kira just to gloat. He would have had an advantage over Kira as a ''ghost''. That doesn't take away the fact that his big reveal during his introduction was way cool.
    It was worth it just to see the look on Light's smug little face.
    4. The L's Successors arc is inhumanely boring.
    Who are you telling.
    5. Near has got to be the most boring character in that series. He is L without the charm.
    LOL
    6. Even though the Anime adapts the Manga more faithfully, I think that the Movies are better. It's not just because they did away with the second arc but because the episodes of the anime are too damn short, they spend twenty minutes talking about what's about to happen, then for three minutes that happens and then ''To Be Continued''.
    This happens in the manga too, but it isn't as bad because a) If one reads comics, one get's used to this type of thing, it comes with the medium and b) Since they come in TPBs, you hardly feel it anyway.
    Never watched the movies so I can't say.
    7. There is absolutely nothing but Contemptful respect between Light and L. They are not friends and they are not secret lovers. This shouldn't be controversial, what with it being official and all, but shippers will ship.
    There are shippers for that? Gross and...... weird.
    8. Jimmy Kudo would still be trying to figure the Kira case out by volume 57.
    LOL
    And here is one for Detective Conan.

TOO. DAMN. LONG.
    Amen!
    And I liked The Fullmetal Alchemist Anime better than the Manga.
    The were both good but I never did read the whole thing.
    Last edited by Holy Spirit; 06-20-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Ok, let's see what I got.

Bleach
    1. Aizen is a boring villain. As a threat to be defeated he's good, but beyond that he's not any fun.

2. Ichigo going super-hollow wasn't an asspull and I think that some people are calling it that simply because they were rooting for Ulquiorra.

3. I think that the reveal concerning the hogyokou was unnecessary. It worked perfectly fine as a way to bridge the gap between hollow and shinigami. There was no need to turn it into a wish-fullfilling genie rock.

4. Inoue Orihime is the most wonderful character in the entire cast. Note that I said wonderful, not awesome or coolest or anything like that.

Mahou Sensei Negima
    1. The harem aspect is the dullest part of the entire series and I would personally enjoy it much more if it wasn't there, or at least lessened.

2. Chamo needs to just disappear entirely. He's not funny, he's just freaking annoying.

3. The cast spends way too many panels pointing out how awesome one of the main cast is. It gets to the point where I've groaned and wished that they would all just shut up about it already. This doesn't include poor Setsuna, nobody ever mentions how awesome she is.

That's all for now.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Regarding Naruto:

- Sasuke is neither the anti-christ or just straight christ, he is an interesting and integral part of the story. For the most part, Naruto is still very well written and that does include the Sasuke-centric story arcs.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Well this looks interesting.

Death Note

-It should have ended between Light and L. Don't care who wins, but it has to be between Light and L.

-The end was horrible. That was a freaking deux ex machina if I ever saw one.

-Mello is better than Near, because at least he brought something new.

Negima

-I don't like Jack Rakan.

-The manga hasn't regained the quality it had during the festival arc.

-Too many characters. It hasn't even finished exploring the background characters and then suddenly decides to add a world's worth of characters.

Bleach

-The power levels make sense.

Naruto

-I actually like Sasuke.

1. I never liked Black Lagoon that much. It certainly has its strengths, but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

2. The harem aspect of Negima! is good for comedy, but I never could take it seriously.

3. I kind of like moe. I'm not a huge moe fan, but I don't think that it's a cancer plaguing the anime industry, either (which many anime fans seem to think).

4. I also like Orihime from Bleach quite a bit. I prefer Ichigo/Orihime to Ichigo/Rukia.

5. L did make some rather dumb mistakes in Death Note. He second-guessed himself way too much, which is probably the main thing that did him in.

6. Light is Frank Castle meets low-tech Victor Von Doom.

7. For me, Death Note ended once the L/Light struggle ended.

8. I really like the Haruhi Suzumiya English dub.

9. 4Kids has indeed butchered some animes, but I do think that the hate for them is a bit overstated. Some localization is necessary if you're going to dub an anime for North American kids and young teens. "Invisible guns" is facepalm worthy, but making Yami Yugi a bit less brutal in how he handles villains I have less of an issue with.
    Please check out my new anime blog:

http://assessingtheanime.blogspot.com/

Nefarious Cartoonist

Default Uncomfortable Truths of the Anime World

1- An unfaithful dub can sometimes make an anime more entertaining [see Samurai Pizza Cats or Shineman..... "Sheila, get into the green vortex"]

2- There's nothing wrong with a subtitled-only release- people will still buy it.

3- Dubs can be accurate and entertaining and people might actually prefer them

4- Piracy is evil and hurts the anime industry

5- 4KIDS and Nelvana and everyonelse making dubbed, edited TV kids anime, are what keep the fandom truly expanding.

6- Anime is not expensive, in fact it's currently insanely cheap.

7- Manga is also insanely cheap compared to what it used to cost, and what comics generally cost.

8- Bakugan is the most important, successful franchise currently on the market that isn't DragonBall Z.

9- CMX made great manga.

10- If you're not supporting the domestic market in any way, your opinions don't count

11- Disney movies are just as good or better then the best anime out there. The alliance with Disney is the best thing that ever happened to Studio Ghibli.

12- Samantha Bee is the greatest actress to ever portray Sailor Moon.

13- Fanfiction is all in your head, and any hints at it in most manga are just an attempt to fuel fujoshi sales [seen most successfully in Prince of Tennis]

14- Tomino isn't really about killing them all. Not nowadays anyways.

15- All those deep giant robot shows we blather about were solely made to sell toys. Which we will buy. Sooner or later.

16- Teen Titans Go/Avatar the Last Airbender/any other show that has an anime influcence has a good chance of being better than the majority of anime out there, even if there's a few clunkers mixed in. Teen Titans and Avatar are still very popular with younger anime fans, and older ones who don't have a blind Japan fixation.

17- Domestic manga-style comics can sometimes be among the best manga/comics out there. Related- Korean manwha can be very entertaining and has a rich, long history.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    -Mello is better than Near, because at least he brought something new.
    Near was my favourite character in the series and one of my all time favourite anime characters. What pulled him down was the decline in storytelling quality and the mediocre support for him to interact with. That's my controversial opinion.

I think the original FMA anime is highly ambitious but ends up being quite mediocre.

FMA anime was amazing until they had to force the ending.

Near is the most boring leading character in manga history for me personally. I have not read a more boring character. L,Kira was great and then came this generic,boring kid.....
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Valencia, Venezuela, feeling rather sucky. Or ducky.

Quote Originally Posted by Paploo the Ewok View Post
    6- Anime is not expensive, in fact it's currently insanely cheap.
    Paploo the Ewok obviously has never lived in a foreign country.

The harem aspect, while basically flawed at the bare fact Negi is a child, is also the basic root of the many things that have prevented Negima from becoming just another cliche shonen manga.

Most anime/manga fans are lemmings of one variety or another.

Most of them are huge hypocrites as well. Like the bloggers who captain over the crusade for the legal stuff yet never miss a review of the newest bootleg, or those who claim to be anti-fanservice yet always are fully informed on all tidbits of fanservice shows.

American media can generally portray romance better than the Japanese ones, since the Japanese are usually too stuck on their reluctance to show their true feelings, and that gets tiresome soon.

Oh my Goddess should have ended up years ago.

Detective Conan should have ended even more years ago. At this point it's nothing but a zombie franchise.

Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi is a horrible, shallow, wish fulfillment excuse for a character.

Full Metal Alchemist is good, but overall it ends up demanding more emotional involvement from you that it's worth.

Saber Marionette J is probably, pound by pound, the best harem anime ever. Unless you count El Hazard, but I think of it as a more pure action/adventure work.

Anime/manga fandom really likes to run in circles in their discussions so much the debates often end up being more for the sake of bitching than for the actual original motives, and no one actually convinces anyone else about anything.

Toradora is excellent.

Rumiko Takahashi's humor is very efective, but it's not nearly as 'smart' as her supporters claim it to be.

The Dance in the Vampire Bund anime, while universally reviled, it's not actually bad.

SHAFT Animation is the best anime studio at Japan at this moment.

The Sailor Moon manga, other than reducing the nerfing of the Inner and Outer Senshi very effectively, is overall worse than the much livelier, better drawn and more entertaining (despite its legion of flaws) anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Paploo the Ewok View Post

17- Domestic manga-style comics can sometimes be among the best manga/comics out there. Related- Korean manwha can be very entertaining and has a rich, long history.
    Korean comics are great because its so like them,their culture,history. Its not a copy of someone else culture like the horrible american stuff called American manga.....
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Korean comics are great because its so like them,their culture,history. Its not a copy of someone else culture like the horrible american stuff called American manga.....
    Agreed, you never get the impression they are trying to be manga. It is really all about them: Korean names, Korean setting, etc. They don't use Japanese stereotypes but rather make their own.

Valencia, Venezuela, feeling rather sucky. Or ducky.

To be fair, there are some damn good American 'manga'. I liked what I saw of Athena, and Adam Warren's material is always well worth a buy.

Yeah, Adam Warren is pretty good. The thing is comics like Empowered actually keep an American flavor instead of trying to be all manga and really that makes all the difference.