Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: ADVANCE PREVIEW: "Casanova" #1

Marvel has released a preview for the first Icon-branded issue of "Casanova," Matt Fraction, Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon's critically acclaimed title, now in full color! The remastered series hits stores July 8.

Full article here.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I think I still prefer the spot color version, but that looks better than I was expecting. Who's the colorist?
    Expletive Deleted

BANNED

That looks incredible.

☿Mecurial master of media Living Silver's Avatar

<3 <3 <3 Casanova!! I really hope everyone goes out and buys this thing.
    Last edited by Living Silver; 06-16-2010 at 10:19 PM.

BANNED

Wait, what? How is he shitting on Image?

1. Warren Ellis came up with the slim line format. Not Image Comics.

2. Image don't promote or really support your book in any way. It's mostly on you. So Matt's happy to have his book being re released by Marvel and get some promotion for it and hopefully they'll actually make money from it this time. Because that's what killed it before.

3. It's not cheaper to buy the Image books. $1.99 per issue or $3.99 for two issues in a single book. How's it cheaper? $25 for the HC or $20 for the SC neither of which are easy to come by...

3.A. You can't even get the Image versions anymore unless it's from Matt at a con, or someone still has them in stock.

4. This looks awesome. And it's going to be awesome.

5. If you love Casanova enough to make the comments you did, don't shoot it in the foot with your comments. This is all being done so we can get the other five planned volumes of Casanova. If people go buy the image versions instead of these it'll hurt sales and we might not get more Casanova after Volume 3.

5.A. There isn't a collected edition of Gula and good luck tracking down a complete run of either arc.

☿Mecurial master of media Living Silver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    Wait, what? How is he shitting on Image?
    I didn't say that he was, I was just asking if anyone else felt that he was. It was his comment about Casanova finding it's home (like it didn't have one before?) and how "this" was how it was mean to be experienced (obviously the presentation and colors of the Image collection weren't good enough).

2. Image don't promote or really support your book in any way. It's mostly on you. So Matt's happy to have his book being re released by Marvel and get some promotion for it and hopefully they'll actually make money from it this time. Because that's what killed it before.
    This sounds like a good reason to be unsatisfied with Image. We have a motive.

3. It's not cheaper to buy the Image books. $1.99 per issue or $3.99 for two issues in a single book. How's it cheaper? $25 for the HC or $20 for the SC neither of which are easy to come by...
    Amazon has the hard cover for $18 right now (which is still more expensive than the Marvel/Icon issues), and others are selling the soft cover for $50-$90. I guess I didn't research this too thoroughly. I didn't realize the book was so rare.

5. ... This is all being done so we can get the other five planned volumes of Casanova.
    Good point. Really good point. When you put it that way, I think I'll be buying an Icon collected edition, since I only own issues (plus, there's that nifty back-up story).

5.A. There isn't a collected edition of Gula and good luck tracking down a complete run of either arc.
    Another good point. It didn't occur to me that these issues are super rare. I had Fraction sign all of mine at a convention: they're probably worthless now (not that I would have sold them anyway).

BANNED

Sorry Alex, I guess I miss read part of your inital statement.

Anyway, part of Matt's original press release was that the Image system didn't allow them to continue the book. Matt said that he's never made a dime off the book; he gave all the money to the twins for drawing it. And that the hiatus was so they could go get paid to draw while they figured out a new plan.

As for the presentation comment; I don't think 'good enough' was the issue. I talked to Matt about this a bit and what he told me was this: he tried everything he could to give incentive to buy the book. Slim line. Spot color. Backmatter. All were done to keep it cheaper and give an incentive to buy the book. None of it worked. Retailers hated the cheap book taking up shelf space. Ellis got that too with Fell. People called the book Black and White... and we all know what that means in comics if you aren't the Walking Dead.

So, color re prints at Icon? Hell yeah!! Also, Ba' and Moon have given in to the evils of color comics. It's not that Image wasn't good enough, it's that it was done for a reason that didn't help. So why keep doing it? Fraction is a proven writer at Marvel. Same with Brubaker etc, Marvel will happily spend some money to make their creator owned book a success, so why not make the book all it can be? I'm all for it, and believe me, I was sad to see the spot colors go. The new colors look fucking amazing, though.

So I don't think Matt is shitting on Image, but Icon will put money and promotional efforts behind the book that Image don't. And can't. That's just not how Image works.

So yeah. But, Matt Fraction, as well as the twins have much bigger names now. People know who they are now. They didn't then so much. So they've that going for them. As well as Icon's ability to promote.

Also, yeah, the Luxuria collections are hard to find. The SC apparently went out of print pretty fast. The HC didn't. I finally got my copy from Matt at a con this year. Woot!!

I say, if you've any interest in Casanova, buy the first issue. Buy all of em. There's really only, what, nine issues? Or buy the trades (assuming those happen) but please, buy something. Help this comic. It's worth it. It deserves it. This is one of those rare books, man. It'll matter. Maybe not in July or even when vol. 3 launches... but it'll matter some day.

Why Casanova Matters:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=16406
    Last edited by the goddamn batman; 06-17-2010 at 12:20 AM.

I'm embarassed to say I never picked up this series when it was at Image, but always had an itch too. Now I get a chance to relieve that itch. Looking forward to picking this up.

BANNED

You won't regret it Fabio.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

I have all of the Image issues and was/am a huge fan of the spot color and the backmatter. So I was just going to wait (even though the color pages look great imo) for V.3. But, since Casanova is hands down my favorite comic and filled the void of originality that I felt was missing since the end of Automatic Kafka...I changed my mind, decided to do my part and am currently buying the Icon issues. I still prefer the spot color as, reasons for doing it aside, I feel it made them stand out and added to the trippiness. But whatever, it's all about evolving I suppose. More Casanova, even remixed, remastered, big studio released Casanova is a very good thing.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ziza9 View Post
    I have all of the Image issues and was/am a huge fan of the spot color and the backmatter. So I was just going to wait (even though the color pages look great imo) for V.3. But, since Casanova is hands down my favorite comic and filled the void of originality that I felt was missing since the end of Automatic Kafka....
    Wow man, me too. Me too.

Why isn't there a Casanova thread? Where's the Casanova love?

Wow man, me too. Me too.

Why isn't there a Casanova thread? Where's the Casanova love?
    I started one, but only one person replied to say they were trade-waiting :/

I love the series, too. I was pretty excited when it was announced to come back. I was less excited that we'd have to 8-9 months for new issues, but I understand why they're doing this. I think

BANNED

It's to build momentum. It's to put long out of print issues back in print. It's to get the trades back in print... and get a collected edition of Gula out there.

And so far it's working wonders. Now Casanova vol. 3 won't fall flat on it's face. And we can, hopefully get all seven arc of Casanova.