Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Jim Shooter's Scripting of "Solar"

Legendary comics writer Jim Shooter stopped by CBR to give a comic book scripting clinic, using the early pages of his "Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom" #1 script as a starting point to discuss format, action and more.

Full article here.

Default Ah, man...

...this was a fabulous article, chock full of the mechanics of writing and the history of comics. Bravo!

Shooter always makes for an interesting interview, as well as interesting reading.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

Great article. I'm hoping Shooter can pull it off again with the Gold Key characters. Hopefully the books will have good sales with good stories like he did with the early Valiant issues.

I think Dr Solar will sell the best followed by Turok then Magnus with Mighty Samson in fourth place.

Excellent article. Can't wait for Solar to come out.

Junior Member JohnnyHorror92182's Avatar

I will definately be checking out Shooters Solar. I always remember seeing adds for that comic way, way back as a kid. Never knew what it was all about but I guess I will find out soon.

I don't think I'll be checking this new series, but I enjoyed the article. I especially liked the bit about full script versus Marvel script.

Anyway, I wish Jim Shooter luck with this.

I keep seeing articles yelling at me about my knowledge of Dr. Solar and Magnus: Robot Fighter, and I have to ask. Who are they?!
    "but the 616 is set in America."

- Rotm

Nice article..I love reading comic scripts. An experienced writer like Shooter makes it look so easy...but you know how that goes.

I liked the FCBD issue of Solar...and I think I will give it a try for a while to see where it goes. Seems to be just enough old school to still be fun but with the modern maturity to make it good (I'm not real sure what that means either).

Senior Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Very nice and informative article.
    I'm definitely putting anything Shooter-written on my pull-list this time around...

Coming from the world of screenwriting, the complete lack of structure in comic writing seems really bizarre.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

I hope this works out fine. Jim Shooter had really done good with the Gold Key characters during the Valiant launch.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog