Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Stanley Tucci Joins "Captain America" Cast

The critically-lauded supporting player becomes the latest enlistee for Joe Johnston's WW2-era superhero origin, playing the role of Dr. Abraham Erskine - creator of the super soldier serum.

Full article here.

But he is not German!

Just messing.
    Weird casting, he doesnt look like a crazy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    But he is not German!

Just messing.
    Weird casting, he doesnt look like a crazy old man.
    Has his nose. Lol.
    Pull List:
    Incredible Hulk,Hulk,Punisher Max,Ultimate Spider-Man,Amazing Spider-Man,Thor,Captain America,New Avengers, Uncanny X-Men,XForce

Good casting so far.

They'll probably "age him up" with some prosthetics or fake hair. Or hell they might just keep him in Stanley's age.

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Good casting so far.

They'll probably "age him up" with some prosthetics or fake hair. Or hell they might just keep him in Stanley's age.
    He's one of those actors that can disappear pretty easily behind makeup and prosthetics. Here he is in Lovely Bones.

I don't know if they'll do that with him here. He's a versatile actor and I can see him playing the man who created Cap.

The Cap cast is pretty interesting so far.

Interesting choice. Not someone I would have picked but still interesting. Good actor.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

Shield of the True North CaptainCanada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Good casting so far.

Erskine's age is pretty immaterial to the character (such as he is; this guy'll probably be in, what, two or three scenes?).
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
    Erskine's age is pretty immaterial to the character (such as he is; this guy'll probably be in, what, two or three scenes?).
    He's almost a blank slate despite how important he is to Cap's origin.

This films keeps looking better and better! First Weaving, then Jones (both of them), and now Tucci!

But... just because Johnston has a great casting director, it doesn't mean he has the chops to direct this film. Sure, The Rocketeer was a great film, but that was almost 20 years ago, and his films since then are definitely not cinema gold (though I haven't seen The Wolfman). I mean, when his biggest concern for the film is how to explain why the title character wears a costume (even though his name is CAPTAIN AMERICA)... I don't know... his priorities are off.

Anyways, I've always enjoyed Tucci's characters, so I'm sure he play Erskine brilliantly. Not sure if prosthetics would be necessary, but as long as they are convincing, I don't care if they do end up using them.
    Last edited by Elayis; 06-07-2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, we're only mortal. - Jean-Luc Picard

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - The Guide

Elder Member

Good casting. No reason to cover him in make up or prosthetics. What difference does it make if he doesn't look exactly like the comic version o Erskine?

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elayis View Post
    First Weaving, then Jones (both of them), and now Tucci! Though I am concerned that he may not totally understand what it takes to make a great "comic book" movie, I hope he can deliver on just making a solid movie.
    I'm not sure I see the distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I'm not sure I see the distinction.
    Oops. Forgot to name Johnston for that tangent sentence, and not Tucci.

Fixed it now, though.
    Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, we're only mortal. - Jean-Luc Picard

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - The Guide

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elayis View Post
    Oops. Forgot to name Johnston for that tangent sentence, and not Tucci.

Fixed it now, though.
    Okay. but I still don't see the distinction.

Shield of the True North CaptainCanada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GRANT! View Post
    He's almost a blank slate despite how important he is to Cap's origin.
    He's never really been much more than a plot device.

There was a little scene of Steve talking with him in Reborn #2, where Steve then narrated about being unable to save this "great man"; I liked that, the idea that he actually looked up to Erskine for his genius, etc., since that's not something that's brought up much.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Okay. but I still don't see the distinction.
    Fixed it again. Hopefully it is actually intelligible now.