Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Retailers React To Marvel's iPad Move

With the 80-page "Invincible Iron Man Annual" headed to Apple's hot tablet device on the same day it lands in comic shops, CBR News rounds up reactions from some of the most recognizable names in comics retail.

Full article here.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

The perceived value of digital is lower than print, so pricing digital higher than print just serves to push people toward piracy. Marvel's pricing is already well past the rip-off zone, so charging even more, especially when creators apparently aren't paid for digital, is a really bad move in the long run.

I can understand the concern on the part of retailers, but if the market doesn't grow and attract new readers the industry is dead anyway, and rip-off pricing tends not to grow markets.

The absolute maximum one can charge for digital is the same as paper, and for most that's too high.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

Digital is nice to have something to read when you're bored, but I'll always prefer having single issues, HCs, or TPBs for my library.
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

I think ComicsPro has it wrong. I don't want to visit a store, I want to buy it digitally. If Marvel, or god-willing, DC someday, is going to sell me a comic digitally, then I want the whole comic, and I want it at cheaper than print cost. Until then, I'm not buying it all, from Marvel, or anyone else, digital or physical. There's no way you'll convince me to buy a book for $3+, any book.

Any misplaced sense of loyalty publishers feel to brick and mortar stores is only going to cost them in the long run. This is business, and they need to figure out where, how, and in what manner people want to buy comics. Screw this "feel of paper in my hand" business that DiDio likes to peddle, I want convenience.

Wait the annual is "The True Story of Mandarin?"
    More retcons, i see.

Oh yeah, and everyone starting their answers with "I'm not surprised" was funny.
    Last edited by Sighphi; 06-07-2010 at 02:11 PM.

i dnt have enough money to purchase anything that starts with an "I" so my money is all going to my LCS
    "I visited Latveria and all I got is a bunch of Doombot heads."

-Deadpool-
    Doomwar # 5

I'm VERY glad to see Marvel taking more steps with their digital journey. They're still so painfully tentative and unsure of where they're going and what they're doing and look forward to them getting it right sooner than later but this is a welcomed development.

I think the idea of this iPad app and same day release truly impacting stores is minimal...for now...simply because it's comics fans that have iPads, enjoy the digital format AND are Iron Man readers, so I don't think we're looking at huge numbers.

I agree the pricing is all wrong. I want value and convenience and the cost of digital production is minimal than the current paper/ink/shipping one so why would it be even close to equal? If an issue is more than 99 cents then they're charging too much. Marvel should relish the chance to transport readers back to a more simple time if only if it's financially.

Looking forward to more and more developments from Marvel with their digital comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack J Napier View Post
    i dnt have enough money to purchase anything that starts with an "I" so my money is all going to my LCS
    That's amusing when you consider the price of the comics and the fact it is Invincible IronMan, which also starts with I
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

Cool

Does anyone else just get the feeling that Marvel and the comic book industry at large is trolling you? Between DC's laughably gory "Brightest Day", starting to raise their prices to 3.99 after just saying comics were too expensive, and now Marvel pricing digital comics MORE than the print version? Cats and dogs living together in peace.

Fraggin' Bastich

Quote Originally Posted by bobmiq View Post
    I think ComicsPro has it wrong. I don't want to visit a store, I want to buy it digitally. If Marvel, or god-willing, DC someday, is going to sell me a comic digitally, then I want the whole comic, and I want it at cheaper than print cost. Until then, I'm not buying it all, from Marvel, or anyone else, digital or physical. There's no way you'll convince me to buy a book for $3+, any book.

Any misplaced sense of loyalty publishers feel to brick and mortar stores is only going to cost them in the long run. This is business, and they need to figure out where, how, and in what manner people want to buy comics. Screw this "feel of paper in my hand" business that DiDio likes to peddle, I want convenience.
    If I could agree any more with you, the friggin' universe would implode. Any, and all of them universes :D

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    That's amusing when you consider the price of the comics and the fact it is Invincible IronMan, which also starts with I
    it is more amusing when you learn I spend 200 dollars a month on comics.. ouch to my selfesteem

-Deadpool-
    Doomwar # 5

Dude, if you dont spend cash on comics for 2 months you can get an Ipad.
    Start saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Dude, if you dont spend cash on comics for 2 months you can get an Ipad.
    Start saving.
    eh, lol. I love spending my student loan money on comics.

-Deadpool-
    Doomwar # 5

As soon as Marvel goes day and date with all their releases, I'm dropping physical comics for good. The iPad app is amazing. Sucks for comic shops, but it's great for the consumer.

That has to be a misprint why would they put it out for more. I'm sure it's $1.99 for the whole thing. That or they don't want anyone to buy it. I would prefer digital this stuff takes up way too much room.