Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: HeroesCon: DC Nation

Missing characters, sudden deaths, and shiny, happy stories are the focus of DC's only panel at Charlotte's HeroesCon. Senior Story Editor Ian Sattler hosted a discussion of "Brightest Day," "The Flash," and DC's new direction.

Full article here.

You know, that's the problem i'm having with "Brightest day"- all the stories are so dark, and the only one I'm interested in, is hawkman's. Glad to hear about the metal men, though.

“At the end of 'Blackest Night,' the revolving door of death was closed,” said Sattler. “[Now] when someone dies, it means something.”

AHhhh...riiighttt....give it about ten years, or less.
    Then instead... it will be a clone, or a mistaken identity, or time travel, or ....
    Lets just not even try to pull that "wool over the head" trick.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    You know, that's the problem i'm having with "Brightest day"- all the stories are so dark, and the only one I'm interested in, is hawkman's. Glad to hear about the metal men, though.
    I've enjoyed the stories for Brightest day, so far.
    The only problem I had was the Issue #2 cover.

The revolving door of death has been closed?

Come on DC, we're a little smarter than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious_AA View Post
    “At the end of 'Blackest Night,' the revolving door of death was closed,” said Sattler. “[Now] when someone dies, it means something.”

The guy needs to see Close Encounters again...because only a plate of mashed potatoes means something.

Well..... hopefully something decent will be done with Cassandra eventually.

Dear Mr. Sattler,

I don't believe you.

Sincerely,
    4PointOh
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Why do I feel Brightest Day to be more of a business move than an actual book? I mean, it seems just a bad showcase for characters that DC wants to revamp for TV, radio, web or whatever pays more money than comic books (and that's why Barry Allen was brought back and Ryan Choi was killed).
    So far, BD is boring and lifeless, as any book made simply by business purposes is like.

“We strive for a diverse DCU,” said Sattler, adding that it was such a serious question, he wanted to be careful and clear answering. The race of the characters wasn’t a focus when deciding to move forward, he added, but decisions were based rather on the desire to tell a good story.

“Ryan’s death is something we decided to do,” said Sattler. “We’re just trying to tell the best stories we can.”
    I won't open the same can of warms and touch on race issue here, though I certainly could, but this still doesn't explain why the story was so awful.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

At least they seemed to care for Cassandra Cain to take their time and bring her back. Least she won't be killed off.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Green Lanter Sector 0616 Raker616's Avatar

I've been pleasantly surprised at how things have gone with BD and it's tie-ins, time will tell if they will be able to pull this off better than One Year Later. But it's pretty smart to take a bunch of characters and tell one big story with them so by the time that it's over you can spin off the characters into either solo or team books and keep fans following them.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious_AA View Post
    I've enjoyed the stories for Brightest day, so far.
    The only problem I had was the Issue #2 cover.
    What did you not like the art, or was it the fact that it highlighted Aquaman who featured in a total of one panel in the entire comic.
    Pull list: Aquaman, Batman, Batman Inc, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman Unchained, JLA

Nothing really new here, and rather a bit that I find disappointing. Focus seems to be shifting back towards the Black Marvel Family rather than the Marvels overall -and- we have to wait until 2011 (barring further direction changes) for resolution. Cassandra Cain established as being put into a 'holding pattern' (i.e. limbo) until somebody comes up with a way to re-introduce her.

"DCU stories aren't going to be any safer." and "Now when someone dies, it means something." were probably two Sattler's more disappointing throw away lines.
    - We've been on the doom'n'gloom train for a very long time now
    - When a character dies it should -always- meaning something, not just a convenient expedient for writers and editors who can't create tension without a body count.

“Ryan’s death is something we decided to do,” said Sattler. “We’re just trying to tell the best stories we can.”

How do he explay that storie,cry for Justice and War of Krypton then?