Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Ostrander and Duursema Leave Their "Legacy" on Star Wars

"Star Wars: Legacy's" creative team spoke with CBR about bringing their long-running series to a close, choreographing the final battle between the Jedi and the Sith and saying farewell to the characters and world they created.

Full article here.

Such crap this book is ending way before it's time. Wish they'd at least given them a good 6 issues to wrap things up, 3 is way to short....

:(

============ Just say "NO!" to $4 books. ============

Wait, what? How did I miss the news that this book was ending? When was this decided and announced? Where will I get my monthly John Ostrander fix?

Quote Originally Posted by mastadge View Post
    Wait, what? How did I miss the news that this book was ending? When was this decided and announced? Where will I get my monthly John Ostrander fix?
    This caught me by surprise too. It ends in two issues at a point that doesn't really seem like it's heading towards a conclusion.

The editor of the Star Wars line at Dark Horse said at their official website that there was something to replace Legacy, but he's not telling what it is...
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

That was a little...abrupt.

Tremendous shame, it's been one of those runs where every issue has been worth reading.

Hope Ostrander's got some more SW work lined up.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

I will miss the series for sure.

But IIRC, there are something like 9 Star Wars comic projects in development. So maybe Legacy is just the first step into a much larger world.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

I think at this point they better have an announcement real soon because all they are achieving right now is alienating fans. I was about to pick up this series and would have even made an effort to back track and get all the back issues but everything I have seen indicates that this series is just stopping short with an abrupt ending that is likely to leave a lot of plot threads unfinished. It is pretty discouraging as a potential fan. I liked the concept that this was far enough in the future that I didn't have to worry about all the novels I haven't read and so on.
    This interview here seems to be more of a puff-piece than anything else. The real substance questions, like why it was canceled, do you have an immediate project and what are you working on next, etc etc are all left either unasked or asked at the absolute end of the interview with no real answers. Just seemed like it was more about selling the remaining books and less about what is actually going on. There were several times in the interview when the guys mentioned that they still had a lot more story to tell with these characters and so on. Plenty of places where jumping into the questions that everyone actually wants to know the answers to wouldn't have been a stretch.
    I'm just disappointed with the interview, since I feel it lacked substance.

Tbh, I must admit I vividly hate this story with a passion. But it is more part of my overall hate for everything they told after Epsiode VI events. Luke, Han and Leia defeated the Empire. The Dark Side was, as prophesized, finally defeated. The "balance" was brought, the Republic restored.

And then? Then they had to shatter it all with Yuzhang Vong and Darth Ceadus and now this. I mean, I understand that for the sake of selling stuff the Sith VS Jedi thing has to go on. But as a Star Wars fan I felt to nullified everything Luke and his company worked for. Everytime I watch the films now, I shrug, think, so what... in the end the Vong will destroy half of the galaxy's planets, Darth Krayt the other half and both the Jedi and the Republic will remain in ashes. If they had to bring dark stuff, fine. But the way the totally made everything that was worked and suffered for in the Old Trilogy meaningless just pissed me off to no end. The story of Cade wasn't bad. Really. But bringing the entire galaxy into decades of darkness and suffering was just so wrong on so many levels. I just stopped caring, knowing full well: what does it matter. Sith win. Jedi win. It never ends. 10 years later, no matter what side wins, it just goes on again.

They should have established a Republic and a real Jedi Order and THEN contront these with Sith and Empire. So at least you have the feeling the doings of Luke, Leia and Han had any meaning. As it is, it had no meaning whatsoever.

I've started reading Legacy around issue 38 or so,and I definitely plan to get the trades,if any.That said,while I am sorry to see the series end abruptly,I prefer to see it as the end of part one of the Legacy saga (kind of like the New Hope movie,good guys win,but the bad guys remain at large).If Ostrander and Duursema are to start a new Legacy series in the future,I will be in for the ride.

Damn it!

So what issue is it concluding at?

I really loved this title.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl O'Neill View Post
    Damn it!

So what issue is it concluding at?

I really loved this title.
    #50 I believe.

It is certainly possible that the intent from Dark Horse is to start the continuing series with a new #1. From what I understand trades do better if they don't get higher than a certain number. When you are looking for trades as a casual reader (say a book store person) I guess it can be a bit intimidating when you are looking at a bunch of $15. or $20. trades that number 12 or more since buying one pretty much feels like a commitment to spend $200. or so.

I hope that is the case but unfortunately they really haven't given any reason to believe that is the case other than a few extremely vague hints with no substance at all. I understand the desire to not spoil the events of #50 by saying its a continuation, since that eliminates the possibility that the hero dies, but renaming the series would be a good time to switch main characters too. Just seems like poor marketing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse Comics Editor Randy Stradley
    No door closes without another opening, and to those longtime readers who pointed out that it was not likely that I would end Legacy without having some replacement planned, I thank you for your confidence. Trust me, it will be rewarded.

I am not going to compound the mistake of the early announcement of Legacy's end by rushing to tell you what is coming next. That information will be revealed in the fullness of time. So, take heart, and feel free to speculate on what the future holds. Just don't get too invested in your speculations because, I guarantee, you wont guess what's coming next...
    Betting pool's open...

I'll accept Stradley's challenge and go "way out there." What's coming next is "Star Wars: Episode X" (set a few years after Legacy) with Ostrander and Duursema back as the regular creative team...
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

It's DH's second highest selling book (albeit well behind Buffy) and I believe it sells very well in trade. So I wonder if they might just be experimenting with a "series of minis" or even-TPB only format within the next year or so. It might be telling that the sixth issue of Invasion is titled at a new #1. Despite all the mixed signals that have come out over the last few weeks, I just can't imagine that Legacy 50 will really be The End end for the whole era. That would simply be bad business.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

I don't see how a TPB-only format would make sense. The sales and ad income from selling the monthly serials goes a long way toward paying off all the costs involved. Hardly any series from Marvel or DC are TPB-only.

IDW tried the series-of-minis approach with Transformers and switched to an ongoing monthly format since sales weren't holding up.

Leagcy was only selling about 22k per month so killing it off isn't that significant. Maybe DH, Lucasfilm and Del Rey decided to rejig the EU and killing off Legacy was a by-product.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy