Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Marvel Announces Same Day Digital Trial

Full article here.

This is what I've been waiting for! I have an iPad and would happily pay 1.99 for new comics if I could get them the same day.

We Crossed The Line Brother Justin Crowe's Avatar

I've got a bad feeling about this.

If I'm right, I'll be able to tell all y'all what I've been saying would happen for years: Matt Fraction is about to kill print.
    I rule me.

If I had an iPad, I'd want my comics the same day the shops get them too.
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

I just hope that if this book doesn't sell that well (after all, it is only one book), that they don't scrap any plans they might've had. I really hope everything goes the way it needs to in order to inspire Marvel to do all of their books digital day and date with print.

Apparently they are breaking up the Annual into three parts for the digital format?

I'm going to laugh if the digital format is 3 segments for $1.99 each thus being more expensive than the print issue. :P :P :P :P

Hah!

I am looking to drop Invincible Iron Man (just never been a fan of the character, but Tony has been important to Marvel for so long that I felt the need to continue reading his book). I was not even contemplating purchasing the Annual as I told my comic guy I am dropping the book once the current arc is done. All this announcement has done is tell me to purchase the book from his store because I sure as heck do not want higher sales online then in the physical stores.

Hell, I hope this is a massive flop. I *might* get on board when they make a real online store that is not restricted to a poor performing, over priced and under featured product. I doubt it, but if the iPad is going to be the revolution of the comic industry then we're doomed.

And so it begins.

Kosh
    Cape shall not kill cape. X-E-R-O

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Finally, this is what I've been waiting for. I won't have an ipad in order to buy this particular annual, but I hope it does really well or at least well enough so that same day distribution can eventually become the norm for the books.

Marvel needs to really be careful here though, pricing is what's going to either make or break this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Justin Crowe View Post
    I've got a bad feeling about this.

If I'm right, I'll be able to tell all y'all what I've been saying would happen for years: Matt Fraction is about to kill print.
    Just not in the way you meant, right? :)

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Finally, this is what I've been waiting for. I won't have an ipad in order to buy this particular annual, but I hope it does really well or at least well enough so that same day distribution can eventually become the norm for the books.

Marvel needs to really be careful here though, pricing is what's going to either make or break this.
    I agree totally. I don't have an iPad either, but I'm excited about this. I think moves like this will only help the comics industry.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefood View Post
    Apparently they are breaking up the Annual into three parts for the digital format?

I'm going to laugh if the digital format is 3 segments for $1.99 each thus being more expensive than the print issue. :P :P :P :P
    Yeah that's what it looked like the official solicitation was saying to me too. If so, that's a bad, BAD, move.

I am glad that Marvel is doing this. On the real, it seems pretty stupid not to have new comics available in digital.

In an unprecedented move
    Really?

Anyway, i am still not getting this cause the price is too high, i'll go for buck fity at most, and i dont have an Ipad. So i am stuck with that horrible reader they have.

this is great. I mean, TV is available usually the next day after air, Movies are available approx 4 months after the hit theatres, why should we have to wait TWO. YEARS. for digital comics. (yes, i understand it hurts brick n' mortar)

I'd like to see tiered pricing eventually though if they go this route ~ full cover price for new releases, $1.99 when the trade comes out, then after say 2 years $.99 ~ $1.99 i've nabbed a few things, but $1.99 feels like a lot for "back catalog" material.

The iPad is a joy to read comics on, and really is like 90% the same experience as physical copies.
    Quote Originally Posted by POWRSURG View Post
    I *might* get on board when they make a real online store that is not restricted to a poor performing, over priced and under featured product.
    you must have not used one yet...

not sure if by "poor performing" you mean the device or the sales, but both are amazing ~ it's blazing fast and it's sold more than 2 million in less then 2 months...

and since apparently no one *yet* can figure out how to makes anything competitive as affordable, it's not overpriced either

can't argue that it's missing a couple key features (camera for vid chat being the one that bothers me most) but i'd imagine most of that will show up in next years version.

============ Just say "NO!" to $4 books. ============