Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Bates Joins the "Last Family of Krypton"

Carey Bates once again dons the cape and shield after nearly two decades to explore the world-changing effects of an entire Family of Steel arriving on Earth in a new miniseries returning the Elseworlds to the DCU.

Full article here.

so if this is an "Elseworlds" story, what does this mean for the 52 worlds? is this story occuring on one of those worlds or has DC abandoned the 52 concept?

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    so if this is an "Elseworlds" story, what does this mean for the 52 worlds? is this story occuring on one of those worlds or has DC abandoned the 52 concept?
    I hope the 52 concept isn't going to be ignored but DC shouldn't adhere to it, either. Hopefully, Morrison's upcoming multiverse series will address this. I always thought setting a fixed, low number to their parallel earths concept was a boneheaded move.

Glad to see the Elseworlds concept back, and I'm surprised DC took this long to get around to this story. I do wonder what format this will be in and how much it will cost. The format DC used to run Elseworlds in would probably cost $7.00 or so an issue, in which case I will regretably have to pass. Hopefully it will be standard format, reasonably priced & there will be future Elseworlds tales to feature characters other than Superman, Batman, JLA & Wonder Woman.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    The three-issue, double-sized upcoming series not only returns Bates to the Superman world after nearly two decades of absence,
    Excellent.

it also returns the Elseworlds concept to the DC Universe.
    Bravo!! I missed getting the occasional Elseworld.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

Thumbs up

"Currently I'm working on a new series for DC that will celebrate certain classic elements of the superhero mythos even as it turns the genre inside-out in ways not even Dr. Fredric Wertham could have imagined in his worst nightmare."
    That certainly piqued my interest.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandas View Post
    I always thought setting a fixed, low number to their parallel earths concept was a boneheaded move.
    I initially thought the same in terms of what setting those limits meant for the concept itself (and fans who enjoy it) in the long term. Then I reconsidered it and realized it was an interesting idea that attracted the attention of the fans and it didn't mean it couldn't be changed and expanded, eventually. Which is what's happening, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandas View Post
    Glad to see the Elseworlds concept back, and I'm surprised DC took this long to get around to this story. I do wonder what format this will be in and how much it will cost. The format DC used to run Elseworlds in would probably cost $7.00 or so an issue, in which case I will regretably have to pass. Hopefully it will be standard format, reasonably priced & there will be future Elseworlds tales to feature characters other than Superman, Batman, JLA & Wonder Woman.
    SUPERMAN: THE LAST FAMILY OF KRYPTON #1
    Written by CARY BATES
    Art by RENATO ARLEM
    Cover by FELIPE MASSAFERA

On sale AUGUST 4 * 1 of 3 * 56 pg, FC $4.99 US
    Last edited by Kolymar; 06-03-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

The devil is a gentleman. devildinosaur's Avatar

Welcome back, Cary.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    not all the elseworlds are independent Worlds of the 52
    and not all the worlds are pulled off elseworlds

this one looks really good
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldoAAD View Post
    not all the elseworlds are independent Worlds of the 52
    and not all the worlds are pulled off elseworlds
    Excellent point.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"