Page 257 of 282 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261267 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 4224

Quote Originally Posted by z1co80 View Post
    I was reading thinking this guy has issues (Speaking to his dead parents pictures).
    I actually thought that scene made USAgent more likable. It showed that he wasn't just a loudmouth jerk, and that he was trying to do what he thought was best for the team.

And I don't think it means he has issues. People go to loved ones' graves and talk to them. What's the difference?
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 10-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I actually thought that scene made USAgent more likable. It showed that he wasn't just a loudmouth jerk, and that he was trying to do what he thought was best for the team.

And I don't think it means he has issues. People go to loved ones' graves and talk to them. What's the difference?

So far he is your stereotypical military meat head.

In Along Came A Spider-Woman U.S.Agent thinks it would be a good idea to just let some protesters get covered by a helicopter that is Malathion Spraying because they are dumb for protesting and won't get out the way.

He then proceeds to punch a protester before realizing the protester has a rash growing on his face caused by the spraying. He then has a go at the sprayers before Iron Man flies away with him.

He may improve as a character but i just don't like him.

Just editing this as i just read the West Coast Voting procedure, Lol. Hawkeye winding U.S.Agent up because he only go one vote and U.S.Agent takes the huff and walks out was awesome. Hilarious.
    Last edited by z1co80; 10-11-2012 at 05:01 PM.

So far he is your stereotypical military meat head.

In Along Came A Spider-Woman U.S.Agent thinks it would be a good idea to just let some protesters get covered by a helicopter that is Malathion Spraying because they are dumb for protesting and won't get out the way.

He then proceeds to punch a protester before realizing the protester has a rash growing on his face caused by the spraying. He then has a go at the sprayers before Iron Man flies away with him.

He may improve as a character but i just don't like him.

Just editing this as i just read the West Coast Voting procedure, Lol. Hawkeye winding U.S.Agent up because he only go one vote and U.S.Agent takes the huff and walks out was awesome. Hilarious.
    That was a great scene. That is one of my least favorite periods of the Avengers. Vision was one of my favorite characters and got destroyed and has still never been fixed. U.S. Agent and Hawkeye were each so tatally unlikeable that the book was very difficult to read. Simon was an enormous jerk in refusing to help Wanda and the Vision (and Wanda was right to drop a cliff on his head). Wanda lost her kids, which was just depressing. Ugghh... There was nothing enjoyable in that 30 issue stretch other than finding Jim Hammond and Julia Carpenter joining.

So after Bendis's finales from the Avengers (as well as reading the beginnings of his X-Men run) I think it's safe to say that he isn't a horrible writer, just a horrible scripter. The bullet point version of Bendis's Avengers run is insanely incredible, but with each doofy joke and pointless scene points are consistently being shaved off his grade. I bet if they took Bendis's run, shortened it down to about 70 issues it would be the one of the best Avengers runs ever. However, like Dragon Ball Z, he dragged things on far too long and inserted far too many uninteresting panels. I'd be all for Bendis's Avengers Kai, and probably would enjoy it that time around.

Wednsday is comming. I wonder how many controversial opinions Hickman's first issue will spark?

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Corey W View Post
    That was a great scene. That is one of my least favorite periods of the Avengers. Vision was one of my favorite characters and got destroyed and has still never been fixed. U.S. Agent and Hawkeye were each so tatally unlikeable that the book was very difficult to read. Simon was an enormous jerk in refusing to help Wanda and the Vision (and Wanda was right to drop a cliff on his head). Wanda lost her kids, which was just depressing. Ugghh... There was nothing enjoyable in that 30 issue stretch other than finding Jim Hammond and Julia Carpenter joining.
    I never found these guys unlikeable. It was normal for Simon to have doubts. I thought Walker was a hard ass but so funny on how he was acting on it. And Clint will always be the abrassive Clint.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    As Motteditor has already said, he get's better. I've always seen the Agent as the Guy Gardner of Marvel in those days. A kinda cluless, abrassive right-winger. He was brought in to cause conflict, and Byrne even wrote him as little bit cookoo. During Thomas' run he tried to bring out the more human aspect of the character. However, you have to keep in mind that this is the same guy who considered Norman Osborn a real American hero, so, somethings really will never change much.

Peace
    Yea also when Byrne wrote him, it was just after Walker had been brainwashed by the Commission of Super-Human Activity. Because he had gone all psycho on various militia groups who had killed his parents. So they took his memory away and remade his character into a good-two-shoes dumb type but sometime the hardass psycho would come back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Not disagreeing with you, but you also have to take into consideration how much Jim Shooter was hated by his subordinates/co-workers during his tenure. The mass exodus of talent from Marvel to DC that resulted in Crisis On Infinite Earths and the Superman and Wonder Woman reboot was pretty much directly due to Marvel's top creators voting with thier feet on Shooter and going over to DC where editorial was less heavy handed.

If Marvel learned anything from that it was Thou Shalt Not Piss Off Your Top Talent.

Even if Marvel wasn't owned by a Conglomerate, you still couldn't get a Jim Shooter like EIC in there without alienting away all your name talent within a year or two of his or her arrival, IMO.
    Here's the thing though: there's always someone else to take your place. And that situation was the best example. They lost guys John Byrne and others but by the end of the 80s, Marvel had gone back up to the top because of newcomers like Todd McFarlane and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey W View Post
    "John Byrne, the BMB of his age!" Controversy at 8:00 p.m.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    "John Byrne, the BMB of his age!" Controversy at 8:00 p.m.

Peace
    I have to admit that everything i have read from Byrne has been average. His Avengers: West Coast and Hulk stuff is my only stuff to go on but it hasn't been anything mind blowing. I know theses aren't considered his best work but i can only comment on what i've read.

I have to admit that everything i have read from Byrne has been average. His Avengers: West Coast and Hulk stuff is my only stuff to go on but it hasn't been anything mind blowing. I know theses aren't considered his best work but i can only comment on what i've read.
    Honestly, I always prefered Byrne as an artist than as a writer. His dialogue always struck me as stiff, and his plots a little bit heavy handed, however he does have some good ideas. He's also the kind of guy who likes to come in and shake things up as much as he can. There's something to say about that, but, often enough, it does leave quite a lot of people pissed, especially with characters that, in most people's opinions, weren't in need of a shake up.

Peace

I have two.

1. Roger Stern was the best writer of Avengers (with John Buscema the best artist.)

2. I did not enjoy Kurt Busiek's run on Avengers as much as I like to tell people I did.
    "Mistah Joker, he dead."

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I have two.

1. Roger Stern was the best writer of Avengers (with John Buscema the best artist.)

2. I did not enjoy Kurt Busiek's run on Avengers as much as I like to tell people I did.
    I have feeling a lot of the fans' good will about Busiek's run had to do about the real Avengers were returning after Heroes Reborn, it was a back-to-basics approach that traditional fans got a kick out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I have feeling a lot of the fans' good will about Busiek's run had to do about the real Avengers were returning after Heroes Reborn, it was a back-to-basics approach that traditional fans got a kick out of.
    I suspect you're correct. With the dreck that we had been force fed, not just during the Heroes Reborn crapfest but for a fair few years before the jump meant that we were fed gruel and believed it was Ambrosia.
    "Mistah Joker, he dead."

Well this is it. Let the Hickman era beguin.
    Can't wait to see whinning such as: "He made the Avengers boring again, like they used to be!" or "There weren't enough eating around the table scenes" or "That's not how real people talk!"
    Really don't care. I for one am pretty excited about being able to buy Avengers again (even if it'll still take me some time to get to it).

Peace