Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Scott Kolins Talks "Magog"

Scott Kolins' original five-issue run on "Magog" has been cut to two with the title's cancellation, but he told CBR exclusively that DC Comics will publish a double-sized JSA one-shot to finish his epic story.

Full article here.

Nice for Kolins and all but literally no one is going to be picking up that one-shot.

I wonder if DC knows where they went wrong. Giving Magog a title in the first place? Making the character to extreme and thus unlikeable to it seems many readers? It seems people liked Lance but Magog not so much.

When Power Girl and Magog were spinned off JSA, I knew which book wouldn't last. I liked Lance, but Magog went out of his way to become the antagonist Kingdom Come depicted. No way could he last in his own series like that without some track record. Even the Joker only managed a nine issue run on his own.

I'm not a Magog fan, but I am a Scott Kolins fan, so I'll be picking this up (including the one-shot, apoehler, so you must mean "figuratively no one").

Interesting that Kolins mentions Kirby because that's who his work most reminds me of. Not that it's derivative in any way, it just has that same crazy energy.

i applaud kollins for "carrying on" and continuing with whats left of the title. for a book thats cancelled before your run starts.. i mean who the heck would even bother picking those up already? he's fine with people not caring/reading his work? kinda sad.

Unapologetic Magog Fan! Magogiac's Avatar

Glad Kolins is getting an outlet to finish his story off properly. I'll definitely be getting the special, and if DC wants to put out a variant cover, I'll buy it twice. I just hope they keep Magog around in some capacity when all is said and done. My interest in the character really helped bring back my enthusiasm for DC Comics.

As for Magog's cancellation, it's a shame so few gave the book a chance. It's been one of DC's most consistently well-written books, and like Secret Six, different from a lot of the other material they're putting out. New or off-the-beaten-path characters haven't had a very good track record at DC, though (Jaime Blue Beetle, Kate Manhunter, Jason Firestorm, Ryan Atom, etc.), so I'm only really surprised that DC puts anything out that isn't somehow Superman, Batman, or Justice League related (ie, Kate Kane doesn't count).

Just don't want to hear anyone complain about DiDio "rehashing" the SA anymore when, apparently, no one really wants to give anything else an honest chance.

I was a fan of Magog and I was a little worried that the series was going to end just dangling mid-arc so I am glad that they are giving the writer a chance to at least finish the story even if it isn't in the pages of Magog. I am sure that DC thinks that having it end with a one-shot with JSA in the title they will draw in more readers than just finishing it in Magog, and maybe they are right, but it seems like more of a marketing move than a story move and I am sure that there will be a smaller page count at the end, so I hope the story doesn't suffer too much.

Default I'm not really sure why they gave

the character an on-going title to begin with. Comics are a pretty expensive form of entertainment these days. Giving a new character with nothing to really pull anyone in their own series in the middle of a recession seems like a recipe for cancellation to me. They used to pull the plug a lot faster on marginal titles. I suppose they would have kept it going as long as Giffen was interested, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LewisH View Post
    the character an on-going title to begin with. Comics are a pretty expensive form of entertainment these days. Giving a new character with nothing to really pull anyone in their own series in the middle of a recession seems like a recipe for cancellation to me. They used to pull the plug a lot faster on marginal titles. I suppose they would have kept it going as long as Giffen was interested, though.
    I can't agree anymore. I had to cut my Pull list because I was sending 70 to 80 bucks a week. $2.99 is a lot of money for a book that takes most people 5 to 10 mins to read etc. 32 pages is being to small for the cost in my eyes.

Trades are really the best bang for your buck, but DC TAKES forever to release them!!! I do like how they are pushing the OGN format a lot more now.

I rather buy a trade or OGN to get the whole story at once anyway.

Well, Kolins has certainly come a long way since the first time I saw his art. It's a pity Magog didn't get enough sales to support it, not even to finish Kolins' story in its own book... sigh... Very good of DC to let him do the special.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

the character an on-going title to begin with. Comics are a pretty expensive form of entertainment these days. Giving a new character with nothing to really pull anyone in
    Nothing? Created as one of the main new "bad" characters for Kingdom Come. Re-introduced in JSA. Just like several other characters, costumes, etc. throughout the DCU ever since KC ended, seemingly steering the present into that dark future (a version of it, at least). So, a KC-JSA spin-off title written and penciled by pretty talented well-known guys, starring a character who consciously wants to be different from his fellow heroes and go after villains / criminals in a more proactive / violent way growing closer to his KC future version. I wouldn't call that nothing. It simply wasn't enough in a market that's killed wonderful, original, imaginative (not to mention critically successful) stuff before. And faster too.

their own series in the middle of a recession seems like a recipe for cancellation to me. They used to pull the plug a lot faster on marginal titles.
    Not really. Most titles get around a year unless it's going really, really, really BAD. :D
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Magogiac View Post
    Just don't want to hear anyone complain about DiDio "rehashing" the SA anymore when, apparently, no one really wants to give anything else an honest chance.
    I couldn't agree more. I hate that.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodimus View Post
    i applaud kollins for "carrying on" and continuing with whats left of the title. for a book thats cancelled before your run starts.. i mean who the heck would even bother picking those up already?
    I will. As a matter of fact, I make a point of buying every last issue just to see how it ends, in what condition the character is left and if it's worth tracking down the rest of the issues (I always get the first issue, at the very least, to see if it's interesting).

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodimus View Post
    he's fine with people not caring/reading his work? kinda sad.
    He's not "fine with people not caring/reading his work". Regardless of Magog's cancelled status, it's still a shot at an ongoing title and a big opportunity for a relatively new / novice writer. That and people will read it even if it won't be hundreds of thusands.
    Last edited by Kolymar; 05-24-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

I wonder if Johns is the one now calling the shots or if this was one of Didio's last decisions in the hopper before his role changed from EIC? Of course its all sales driven, but then again it could be one of those things that monthlies sell easier than limited series and bring in the most upfront revenue. If Magog was solicited as a limited series sales for issue #1 probably would have been a lot less than if it was advertised as a monthly.