Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yellow Covers

Veteran Member

Love the Stevens cover.

Thanks for the excerpt from the Conan thing, but that picture reminds me how much I dislike those Marvel handbooks: mainly because I found the idea of stats and rankings for the characters both stupid in itself and counter-productive to good storytelling, but also because the artwork always seemed to range from average to awful. At least the Conan one avoided the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Love the Stevens cover.

Thanks for the excerpt from the Conan thing, but that picture reminds me how much I dislike those Marvel handbooks: mainly because I found the idea of stats and rankings for the characters both stupid in itself and counter-productive to good storytelling, but also because the artwork always seemed to range from average to awful. At least the Conan one avoided the stats.
    I hear you. Though, in this specific case, I don't mind this picture of Red Sonja. I've always disliked the ridiculous chainmail bikini look, it's completely asinine. I much prefer this blue outfit or, really, anything else. Even her original outfit at least just had a bikini bottom and a full chainmail shirt on top.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

It's traditional for superheroes to wear primary colors (and for their villains to wear secondary colors), especially red or blue, so it makes sense that predominantly yellow covers would look dramatic.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Some other favorites:

That Warlord cover is beautiful. I've never seen the yellow covers, but I think they're great: really makes the characters pop.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

The psychological effects of the color yellow...

- the most attention-getting color
    - increases the metabolism
    - considered cheery and warm

Yellow is also the most fatiguing to the eye due to the high amount of light that is reflected. Using yellow as a background on paper or computer monitors can lead to eyestrain or vision loss in extreme cases.
    Yellow can also create feelings of frustration and anger. While it is considered a cheerful color, people are more likely to lose their tempers in yellow rooms and babies tend to cry more in yellow rooms.

That Conan Handbook cover is quite nice, but what really makes it is the UPC box. Just breathtaking.

I believe it was Infantino who insisted that purple was the best colour for covers. I would have to say that's true--I love me a purple cover. Of course not every cover can be purple. Yellow being the opposite of purple might have a similar visual effect--if you stare at it long enough. When I lived in Edmonton, on a cheap date you could do "purple city" which meant going to the legislative grounds at night and staring into the yellow lights around the legislature for a good while and then turning to look across the river at the the Strathcona side of the city, which due to the effect of the yellow light on the optic nerve made everything look purple.

One of the romance books I received today. I love the contrast with the yellow background and the black logo. A quick online search shows they did this a couple more times, and for good reason. More romantic troubles for Don Draper:

At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

When someone said yellow covers, this is the one that popped in my mind:

I agonized over this issue. I must have passed over 20 or 30 of them until I picked this one.

And it still looks good to me!

--Tom
    My Favorites: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Superior Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man

Almost Done Collecting ASM: Want issues 1, 3, 4, 8, 11, and 18 - Ann. 1 & 2