Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Sturges Rounds Up the "All-Stars"

CBR looks back with writer Matt Sturges following the first arc on the recently launched "JSA All-Stars" series and he teases what's still to come for the DCU's youngest society of legacy heroes in training.

Full article here.

Thumbs up

I love this book due to the Williams art. So reminds me of Bart Sears JLE work. Over exaggerated muscular bodies. Best kind of style for superhero comic books.

The ranch is owned by Power Girl, not the older Hourman.

I hate being that guy that ducks into these things, lobs grenade, and then vanishes, but...

I gotta say that there's a certain something that ain't clicking for me on the JSA anymore.

It, like the JLA have suffered - for me at least - since their relaunches, post-OYL.

The fire was leaving the furnace before the end of their last volumes as well, but - even with Johns - something ain't clicking. I really can't put my finger on it either, but neither JSA, JSA AS, or JLA are holding my interest, and of characters and teams that I love.

As a teenager I was disheartened with The Last Days of the JSA, I was thrilled at their return in spite of the crappy story of Armageddon Inferno, I was pissed at the Parobek series getting cancelled, and at Zero Hour, and so excited and thrilled month after month on Robinson's and Johns re-start, but

Now JSA doesn't click with me since the relaunch.

I guess I post this to see if anyone else is in my boat, and to see if any of you that do feel this way too, may be able to articulate why, and by doing so help me clarify my own thoughts.

I haven't really been feeling All-Stars, mainly due to the art, the shifting focus onto new characters when really there's enough old stalwarts on that title who weren't getting enough focus anyway and the fact that in the end... The villains felt kinda pathetic. King of Tears never felt like a real threat like he did in Johns run, just a dog on a leash and Johnny Sorrow... I just couldn't take him as seriously as I did in his previous appearances. Which I think is the problem with AS really, it takes a lot from Johns run but seems to lack a lot of what made it special.

But then, I disliked the art more than I was put out by the story. If the art wasn't so bad I probably would've gave it another arc to win me over.

I'm really into the main JSA title though, so can't help you articulate your feelings there.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzy Pretzelpants View Post
    I hate being that guy that ducks into these things, lobs grenade, and then vanishes, but...

I gotta say that there's a certain something that ain't clicking for me on the JSA anymore....
    ...I guess I post this to see if anyone else is in my boat, and to see if any of you that do feel this way too, may be able to articulate why, and by doing so help me clarify my own thoughts.
    I agree completely. The current storyline in JSA is kind of interesting, but over all the series has been kind of directionless, seemingly changing directions ever couple of issues.
    JSA All Stars has been rather disappointing as well. If not for the fact I'm a hopeless optimist and a Power Girl fan, I'd have dropped the book after the first issue.
    Justice prevails... evil justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Franklin View Post
    I love this book due to the Williams art. So reminds me of Bart Sears JLE work. Over exaggerated muscular bodies. Best kind of style for superhero comic books.
    I never saw the connection before, but WOW you are onto something with this Sears/Williams comparison.

.....I vastly prefer Williams, though. Sears' art.....I dunno. I think I dislike how he draws faces. Also, his figures seem too tall for their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    DCU's youngest society of legacy heroes in training.
    Very stupid nit to pick, but what does that even mean? They're not a society, they're just a stupid super-team like any other. And by that reckoning, the Teen Titans are actually the youngest bunch of legacy heroes, aren't they? Just an odd selling point.
    DOUG STRANGE
    The white crow who disturbs the convenient silence...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Strange View Post
    Very stupid nit to pick, but what does that even mean? They're not a society, they're just a stupid super-team like any other. And by that reckoning, the Teen Titans are actually the youngest bunch of legacy heroes, aren't they? Just an odd selling point.

Teen Titans are more sidekick or just young heroes now then legacy heroes I think. I'd dare say that Wonder Girl, Blue Beetle, and even Superboy really should be in JSoA as they are actually legacy heroes now. When Donna Troy was WG I'd say no but Cass is now the 2nd person to by that name. Conner is the second Sueprboy. Jamie is the second or is it third BB.

Teen Titans is a weird title I think and I've had issues with the idea of it. When it was originally made, looking back, it made sense. The side kicks of the big name heroes got together. After that I fail to see the purpose in the grand scheme of things. Having so many teen heroes on their own (TT has a high turn over rate I think due to deaths) is just asking for trouble. The JSoA is around to actually train young heroes and supervise them. I would think the JSoA and JLoA would have issues with the Teen Titans even existing.
    Last edited by NeoStar9X; 05-21-2010 at 07:34 AM.

My point, purposeless as it is, still stands. The Teen Titans have just as many "legacy" characters as the JSA All-Stars, and they're definitely meant to be younger. And they're just as much of a "society" as the All-Stars.

(And let's not even go into how stupid a name "All-Stars" is for a group of "young heroes in training," half of which nobody has ever heard of. It's like they've lost all common sense at DC.)
    DOUG STRANGE
    The white crow who disturbs the convenient silence...

I gotta say that there's a certain something that ain't clicking for me on the JSA anymore. It, like the JLA have suffered - for me at least - since their relaunches, post-OYL.
    I don't read JLA, but I definitely feel that way about JSA. Even, as you said, before Johns left. I think part of it was the cast expansion, with lots of new characters that continued to feel far, far less interesting than the established one.

I really couldn't get into All-Stars either. I tried and maybe I'd have liked it more once Magog was gone, but at that point, I think it was just too late for me. Especially since it made the point of the separate teams moot, and I just kept wondering why there was the artificial division when the point of the division was gone.

It's a shame, since I like Stargirl a LOT and Cyclone too for that matter, but it just didn't click for me (to the point I bought two issues twice because I'd forgotten that I'd already had an read them). Also very close to dropping JSA itself.

I guess I post this to see if anyone else is in my boat, and to see if any of you that do feel this way too, may be able to articulate why, and by doing so help me clarify my own thoughts.
    I feel your pain. I think these characters have had some extraordinary adventures in the recent past, but I stopped enjoying JSA a long time ago.

I tried two issues of All-Stars and was thoroughly disappointed. And it's not like the creative team is inept. Quite the contrary! I thought Final Crisis Aftermath: RUN! was incredible. I still reread it.

Good for others if they enjoy it, but this book feels like low com denom super punchy people to me. Not my cuppa

a curious wanderer OBrianTallent's Avatar

I'm finding myself quite opposite from most here it seems. I much prefer All-Stars to the main title. Since Sturges left (and I've always been a fan of Willingham's all the way back to Elementals #1) the main title is just kind of bland.
    As for Williams' art, while I think it's not bad, it's certainly not as good as his work was on Robin. His lines are too thin giving little depth to the panels. Some of his characters are too over-exaggerated. But not enough to detract from the actual story.
    Not all who wander are lost....

Quote Originally Posted by bluebeetle73 View Post
    I agree completely. The current storyline in JSA is kind of interesting, but over all the series has been kind of directionless, seemingly changing directions ever couple of issues.
    JSA All Stars has been rather disappointing as well. If not for the fact I'm a hopeless optimist and a Power Girl fan, I'd have dropped the book after the first issue.
    That's what I did and I have no regrets. With so many great books out there, why spend money with mediocre ones?