Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Pipeline - May 18, 2010

Augie read his first "Omnibus" edition and has a lot of thoughts on the format and on "Invincible Iron Man" along the way Plus, some pondering on whether webcomics should be forgiven for publishing early and often.

Full article here.

Great review. I have both the 1st Captain America Omnibus as well as the Astonishing X-Men Omnibus. Both are really hard to read lying down, but otherwise I do love having a big collection all in one volume. I think this Iron Man Omnibus is considerably skinnier in comparison. I hope you are wrong about them phasing out the 12 - 15 issue hardbacks, as I think they are ideal in every sense.

That isn't an Omnibus. Amazon has it listed wrong. No where on the book or no where has Marvel listed it as an omnibus.

I can understand your reluctance to reviewing or judging new webcomics. But a lot of new webcomics never become old webcomics, and the old ones usually were a little bit better at the beginning than new ones that never live a year. I'd rather read the first year of Questionable Content again than some other new, random, cliched webcomic about the loser geeks having trouble establashing relationships. QC could have been described as that at first, but even then it felt more fleshed out than others. Martin didn't just sit in front of video games while namedropping game titles all day (though he did name-drop bands) and wondering why he was single. His friend was more than just a wisecracking best friend. His initial love-interest was more than just a nice pretty girl and became more than just a "will-they/won't-they" love-interest.
    Really, when you were talking about an artist/writer gaining more confident in their styles and growing out of name-dropping, Questionable Content was the first title I thought of. But I can think of other comics that started out as more than or at least had something about it that stood out above other cliched driven comics a few comics in. I don't blame you for worrying about being too harsh, I used to be as well, but I learned that most of my early assumptions don't change much.

I thought the art on Iron Man was great, but I am not much of an art critic. I thought the armor looked great like you said. I guess if I really noticed anything, a couple of his people looked a little funny. It was kind of weird reading that many issues, and there really wasn't a ton of action or explosions yet it was a great read.

Damn - the great things I always hear about Matt Fraction keep making me want to try him again even though I haven't enjoyed anything of his that I've read.

The two tells that this is not an omnibus: Omnibuses (omnibi?) are
    a) cover priced at about $100, while this is about $40; and
    b) have a distinctive spine - see http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/mar...an01_reg_b.jpg

The "real" Invincible Iron Man Omnibus is a collection of the earliest Iron Man material. No idea why amazon.com has this book listed this way; amazon.ca does not.

It seems like Marvel knew that they wanted an oversized HC out for the movie, and if they were starting with Invincible Iron Man #1, it wouldn't make sense to stop half way through "World's Most Wanted," accounting for the extended page count.

I think Augie's observations should probably still apply to the shorter omnibuses, like the Death of Captain America or Astonishing X-Men, but might not to the 800-page behemoths that reprint Marvel's older material, seeing as those are twice as thick.
    Last edited by CapeMonkey; 05-19-2010 at 10:33 AM.

FYI - Since IM has been a consistant book, waiting for every issue was never too hard. Nor did this story seemed like it dragged on too long at all. Fraction did a great job of keeping it interesting so I never got tired of it. I've read the 1st issue in the next chapter and I'll get the next on Monday. Can't wait!

Legacy #1 however was, eh. I have #2 in my reading pile now. I'll hang on for now.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Default Other Omnibus Things, and Cheapskates

Price does matter, but it isn't JUST how long the hc is that determines the price. A deluxe HC, of which the reviewed material was, is just glued together. The Omnibus editions are bound with thread, and therefore a bit more long lived. The spine of an Omnibus will always be labeled as such. It will say "Marvel Omnibus" on the very top of the spine.

It seems that in the next couple of Omnibus editions Marvel is trying to price them a bit more reasonably, at least for the modern ones. The upcoming Ghost Rider (jason aaron) and Thor (JMS) omnibus editions are much cheaper than previous ones (49.99 and 64.99 respectively). Those are smoking deals for a better put together product than a regular or deluxe hc.

The Omnibus editions that collect older material seem to usually get priced higher, a la the upcoming Gruenwald Squadron Supreme (75) or the Women of Marvel (125 for 1100 pages, mostly older stuff). Some might find that overpriced, but considering the amount of effort and time to collect it AND the convenience AND the quality binding, I'd say it is worth the extra dollars.

I'm sure though most people around these parts would be more than happy to screw their local stores and get it online because it is cheaper. Online stores don't pay property taxes, and shopping online costs people jobs. So keep up the good work out there cheapskates! How about just saving up and buying things you can afford, instead of feeling entitled to everything just because it can be obtained cheaply?

Also, the fact that the Amazon description was used and that no further research was done is a prime example of a half assed effort.

Daniel, a brick and mortar store pays half cover price for their trades/hardcovers/collections plus shipping. it is beyond ridiculous for a shop to get get the Captain America Omnibus for around $40 tops with shipping and charge $75 for it. Now if they will charge a more realistic price for it I will happily support them. Plus a lot of the stuff I get like older Usagi trades no one has them nor can they seem to order them in. Plus your online store has to pay for a physical warehouse, order fillers, web developers etc. so that whole argument is pretty weak as well.

My local guys don't have to beat online prices, but they better not be $15 to $20 dollars more either.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielRandKai View Post
    Online stores don't pay property taxes[...]
    Online stores do pay property tax. The materials have to be stored somewhere, whether it is a single family residence (e.g. small proprietor) or a sprawling warehouse(s) (e.g. Amazon.com), and that structure(s) is subject to property tax.

EM