Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Iceman Question (Back Issues)

Hello;

Someone made the charge on another thread that Emma accused (or implied) that Iceman is a closet gay man, and that he flirted with Shatterstar. If this is true can someone provide me the book name and issue number. So I can look into it?

Thanks.
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

† LINSUS X ZAYNT MALIK † Chase_Stein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Hello;

Someone made the charge on another thread that Emma accused (or implied) that Iceman is a closet gay man, and that he flirted with Shatterstar. If this is true can someone provide me the book name and issue number. So I can look into it?

Thanks.
    X-Factor Nation X one-shot. Iceman was never straight. Lady M even told him in his face.
    "It doesn’t matter [if] you’re...Asian..., you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try." - Obama

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

To answer your second question first: Iceman never flirted with Shatterstar. The scene you're referencing is from X-Factor: Nation X, a recent one-shot. Shatterstar has recently been revealed to be bisexual, and when X-Factor visited Utopia, during a discussion of his new sexual freedom, he paused to say "hi" to Iceman, causing Rictor to drag him away. It was essentially a puckish wink on Peter David's part to the ongoing "Is Iceman gay?" debate. But no, no flirtation.

The other scene you referenced is from some issue of UXM back in the day, I'm going to estimate the 320's or thereabouts. It occurred immediately after the Phalanx Covenant crossover, just as Generation X was starting, and has a picture of Jubilee walking away on the cover. Anyway, Iceman goes to Emma demanding (then asking politely) that she tell him how she did the things she did with his powers while she was in his body. Along the way, she made an offhand jibe about "Did you finally realize your desire to be an interior decorator?" or words to that effect. Some people have taken that as evidence that Emma was not-so-subtly hinting he was gay. Which makes her later flirtation with him a little odd, but I know both sides have ways to explain various scenes to make them conform to their own beliefs, so make of it whatever you will.

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Chase_Stein View Post
    X-Factor Nation X one-shot. Iceman was never straight. Lady M even told him in his face.
    Who is Lady M?

I guess screwing a tranny means he's not really in the closet.

† LINSUS X ZAYNT MALIK † Chase_Stein's Avatar

Who is Lady M?
    Remedial mathlete, Regan Wyngarde.
    "It doesn’t matter [if] you’re...Asian..., you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try." - Obama

Remedial mathlete, Regan Wyngarde.
    Remedial Mathlete is such a remedial insult, Martinique clearly proves by saying that that Regan is superior in ever way, But Martinique is still better than Pixie.
    "I'm bad and that's good, I will never be good and that's not bad, because there's no one I rather be than me."
    -Bad Guy Affirmation

XPOTM: 08/2011

san francisco - the free range twink farm

PSB is so eminently quotable.

Go take a chill pill ProfeZZor X's Avatar

So because one character says so, that makes it true?

Get educated...

Is it me or are there a lot of treads about Iceman and his sexuality?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ProfeZZor X View Post
    So because one character says so, that makes it true?

Get educated...

Yeah, that seems straight. FYI, Lorna was never able to get Bobby into bed.

Who is Lady M?
    You would love her, Mia. She is your type.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    To answer your second question first: Iceman never flirted with Shatterstar. The scene you're referencing is from X-Factor: Nation X, a recent one-shot. Shatterstar has recently been revealed to be bisexual, and when X-Factor visited Utopia, during a discussion of his new sexual freedom, he paused to say "hi" to Iceman, causing Rictor to drag him away. It was essentially a puckish wink on Peter David's part to the ongoing "Is Iceman gay?" debate. But no, no flirtation.
    That’s what I thought.

The other scene you referenced is from some issue of UXM back in the day, I'm going to estimate the 320's or thereabouts. It occurred immediately after the Phalanx Covenant crossover, just as Generation X was starting, and has a picture of Jubilee walking away on the cover. Anyway, Iceman goes to Emma demanding (then asking politely) that she tell him how she did the things she did with his powers while she was in his body. Along the way, she made an offhand jibe about "Did you finally realize your desire to be an interior decorator?" or words to that effect. Some people have taken that as evidence that Emma was not-so-subtly hinting he was gay. Which makes her later flirtation with him a little odd, but I know both sides have ways to explain various scenes to make them conform to their own beliefs, so make of it whatever you will.

-D

Okay thanks for that. That's what I thought. I think that these are the images you are referring to:

I am actually baffled how people can get Emma implying that Iceman is gay in that scene. It seemed pretty clear in those scenes that she was accusing him of not stretching to his full potential due to Iceman’s own fragile self-esteem and fear of failure. Self esteem was something that Lobdell and Nicieza addressed a great deal throughout their runs.

Some people have taken that as evidence that Emma was not-so-subtly hinting he was gay. Which makes her later flirtation with him a little odd,
    Exactly. Now there are straight women who like flirting or seducing gay men as a challenge. But Emma doesn’t strike me as the type of woman who would go for that. And we haven’t seen her doing so in other instances. And even if that was the case I would think that Emma would want a man who is clearly out of the closet and holds no interest in women. I took it that her interest in Bobby was actually genuine. And she liked him because he helped her to take the edge off her own hyper seriousness.

but I know both sides have ways to explain various scenes to make them conform to their own beliefs, so make of it whatever you will.

Thanks a lot for that. I suspected that the accusation was just general wish fulfillment by some readers. But I just needed confirmation.
    Last edited by Mia; 05-18-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Would it really make a differnt if he was bi or gay?

In this day and age, I wouldn't really care.
    Destiny's Child - "If" - Here

BANNED

I am actually baffled how people can get Emma implying that Iceman is gay in that scene. It seemed pretty clear in those scenes that she was accusing him of not stretching to his full potential due to Iceman’s own fragile self-esteem and fear of failure. Self esteem was something that Lobdell and Nicieza addressed a great deal throughout their runs.

That's not the scene. It's the one where she says he's an interior decorator at heart. Lobdell definitely was making a gay gibe.